1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trying to identify white plastic part that came off

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Rob Nagle, Feb 1, 2021.

1. Rob Nagle

Rob Nagle New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was wondering if anyone can help me- a part broke off from my 2010 Prius, see attached photos. It came from somewhere above the pedals in the drivers footwell, and after looking around in that area I can't see where it might have been connected. It doesn't seem to be broken and the car still drives fine without any warning lights. Part number is PP-TD20 983, I'm guessing it is part of the air conditioning system? And is it something I could reconnect myself or would it be better to bring it to a garage? 20210201_211951.jpg 20210201_212008.jpg

2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    That’s not a Toyota part number: PP-TD20 is a material marking (for later recycling), and it means that the part is made of polypropylene, with 20% talc powder added as reinforcement. I’m not sure what 983 means.
    Yes. If your car is a right-hand drive model, the part appears to be the No. 2 air duct sub-assembly, Toyota part number 87211-47120, now 87211-47121, which attaches to the right (driver’s) side of the air conditioner.
    The Repair Manual (more info) says it’s easy to reinstall the part itself (“Engage the 2 claws”), but at least in the published procedure, you have to disassemble most of the instrument panel first. An experienced technician might be able to get the part back in the same way it came out, without hours of labor for disassembly and reassembly, which also carries the risk of causing other trouble.

If you plan to try it yourself, before you spend any time staring up into the underside of the instrument panel, disconnect the negative (–) terminal of the auxiliary (12-volt) battery and wait for at least 90 seconds. Disconnecting the battery de-activates the supplemental restraint system, which reduces the risk of serious injury if the driver side knee airbag were somehow to fire while you’re down there.

#2 Elektroingenieur, Feb 1, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    burrito and Rob Nagle like this.
  3. Rob Nagle

Rob Nagle New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Elektroingenieur,
    That's great information, I appreciate the reply.

Elektroingenieur likes this.
  4. MafazAnsar

MafazAnsar New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I found the same part fell down on my Prius as well (RHD). Dear Rob, were you able to figure out the reinstallation. I couldn't sense any issues with AC today. Anything to be mindful untill I have this fixed..

thanks

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Took a pic of ours (2010), which may help. Camera aiming up at underside of driver's side of dashboard. angled towards the centre of car, It's that white plastic object near centre of pic, pretty sure.

88D49739-0B8B-4CD3-8F47-4DE1B233BD9D.jpeg
    (That’s centre console in lower left corner)

#5 Mendel Leisk, Jul 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    wheezyglider likes this.