1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trying to make a logical argument with non believers - Frustrating at times

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by vcvtrading, Feb 24, 2013.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    mmmmodem, didn't your post stipulate that the cars cost the same to purchase ?

2. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Replying on 4 different fronts, my mistake. I stand corrected.

3. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Doesn't matter. Who cares who owns the car, the important thing is how long it lasts over its entire life. some people have a greater tolerance for looking after old cars, some like the feeling of driving it off the lot brand new, and watching 10% of its worth remain back there. But the total worth of the car doesn't change when it changes hands.

4. mikednpv

mikednpv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, this is now officially one of my favorite posts of all time!!
    Keep it going!... lot's of repetitive and anecdotal info still left to argue over out there.
    ... getting my pop corn :)

GrumpyCabbie and mmmodem like this.
  5. vcvtrading

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I wanted to recap and add a few extra points to my original post regarding this topic. And to offer a math challenge.

My original intent was not to directly compare the Honda Civic vs a Prius, rather point out both could have their share of mechanical failures, as with any vehicle. And also to refute intentional misleadings regarding hybrid technology, specifically referencing the Prius. Having said that, I stand firm (and most agree) the Prius (comparatively) will provide greater ROI.

'Automatic Transmission' in a conventional car vs the Prius traction battery. I still feel this a very good rationalization to use when attempting to compare 'potential' and future major maintenance cost. While I do not have the data, the failure rate on conventional automatic transmissions are a real world reality (business such as AAMCO and others make a full time business out of repairing/rebuilding them). Minus comparing engine to engine, I feel the auto trans vs traction battery is about the best comparison when attempting to compare a major, costly repair. We all know we can't compare transmission to transmission, because the Prius does not have one (conventional that is, and it simply will not fail otherwise).

If someone wants to do this math, I think it would be enlightening: Lets compare two hypothetical cars (a couple of you have already figured portions of this in prior post).

1) 2008 Prius base with 150k miles.
    2). 2008 Honda Civic with 150k miles.

The Prius has completely lost its Traction battery and will need a replacement. The Civic has completely lost its Auto transmission and will need a replacement. Let's say both cars choose dealership repair and both cars opt for brand new factory parts. What are the cost differences to fully repair?

For comparison, let's also figure the exact same scenario, with both vehicles using used/salvage or rebuilt parts. We can add do it yourself or shade tree mechanic variables as well.

My intent is to show a used Prius has the same risk as any used vehicle (comparatively). If not a lower risk.

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Google is your friend ...
    Transmission problems in Hondas

I would not over read, since this is a consumer biased website. A bit more googling suggests that repair/replacement runs from about $2500-$3500. I also tend to remind people that conventional car's tranny repairs should be considered in trying to compare Prius major repairs, but this is really a dis-service to the Prius because it's traction battery repair frequency is quite a bit lower than the tranny repair frequency of a Civic.

7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I really don't understand what all of the arguments are about.
    We live in a nation where you can spend $13,700 and get a 35mpg Versa...or you can spend $50,000 and get a 14-mpg 6.2 liter Camaro. The Prius G3 is somewhere in between in price, and as far as TCO is concerned????
    You can bend numbers hard enough to justify driving just about anything.
    I've got 42,000 miles in type (2010 G3) buuuuuut!!!! It's not my car. It's a company car.
    That means that I don't have 25 thousand reasons to overlook the things that Priuses aren't so good at doing.

If you want to argue?
    Fine.
    Prius drivers seem to be especially good at that!
    I've seen posts stating emphatically that there "Is no hybrid premium...that's just FUD from the deniers..." and I've seen other posts screaming that there should be tax breaks for hybrid owners because they have more skin in the game since their cars are more expensive out of the gate.

I have a love/hate relationship with my 2010 G3. It's a great car, and if you keep one long enough there will be a point where it's a very cheap car to operate. It's certainly not the most entertaining car to drive, but it's not a chore to drive one either. I've probably accounted for 2-3 people seriously considering buying a Prius. Usually it's a by-product of all of those 35-dollar, 500 mile fill-ups. There have been dozens of times where I've let people sit in the car, pop the hood, and I've answered 10,000 questions about it in my trips and travels.
    Is it the best car in America?
    Hell no.
    No car is.
    Most most efficient?
    er......Nope!
    Most fun to drive?????
    Not even close!! :eek:

Me?
    I'm not trying to convert anyone. I don't have to.
    Gas prices will probably do that for me...and I'm not a control freak.

You wanna drive a Camaro???
    Knock yourself out!!!
    At least here in America cars are required to meet air pollution standards, and the government is going to knock you on the head for a gas guzzler tax if you get a car that's too much fun to drive.

I fix phones for a living. I'll leave the preaching to the folks behind the pulpit. :)

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  8. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    This table from ConsumerReports shows the average repair rates for all models tested, by problem area. It lets us estimate the repair frequency by problem for any model where the grade is less than excellent because the range of 'how much better' is defined.

Unclear to me though, is whether the rates are only for the year surveyed, or are cumulative repair histories. If my question is unclear, perhaps this may help clarify:
    If the repair rate for major transmission for 2006 is 2%, does that mean that 2% of surveyed cars that are 2006 model year have had the problem ever, or does it mean that during 2006 2% of cars had that problem ?

I'm inclined to think that only the last 12 months are covered. After all, only owners who have had the car since new really know the life history. And I think more compelling, rates that do not change from year to year would imply no additional repairs if the rate was cumulative. I'd say the chance of that is zilch :) I've sent this question to CR.

CR--reliability.png

Bottom line: Through 10 years the Civic is likely seeing 5-10% major transmission repairs. Traction battery replacement though the first 10 years of Prius life might be as much as 2%. MAYBE

9. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is my second favorite after the Tesla vs, NYT thread. I did a much better job arguing my point in that thread. I did a terrible job here. I even went on Edmunds for True Cost to Own. Despite costing thousands more, the Prius Two costs about $1000 less than a Civic LX to own over 5 years. I was quite surprised. Ack, I just argued against myself... oh well.

SageBrush likes this.
  10. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The whole point of arguing is to cause someone who is thinking something wrong to think something right. Having it be you instead of the other guy is actually a better result (from your selfish perspective). The disappointment you feel is just to make sure you don't cheat and lose on purpose (which would defeat the whole point)

SageBrush likes this.