1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trying to Save my Baby Prius!!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by LaToya I love my Toyota, Mar 31, 2020.

1. LaToya I love my Toyota

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Hi all! I am so happy to find that a forum like this exists! I own a 2012 Prius and was in an accident last week. I finally got it back yesterday and was able to take a closer look at it, now that I’m no longer in a state of shock from the accident. My insurance company has declared it as totaled, and I think it’s because the airbags on the passenger’s side deployed. I will have to replace the doors on the passenger’s side and the back door on the driver’s side. Besides that, and one flat tire, everything else looks intact. Al of my windows can still be adjusted and my wipers still work. Is there anyone who can speak to whether or not it is worth me trying to have the parts replaced? This car was a gift (I don’t think I could have afforded this otherwise at the moment) and if I can save it and have the work done over time, then I will do so. I appreciate any thoughts, suggestions, and/or being directed to a previous conservation thread since there are a lot of threads in this forum.

Thank you so much,
    LaToya

2. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad you're OK.

How many miles are on the car?

Do you have a body shop that you can trust to work on the car?

3. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Truly sorry about the accident. Talk to your insurance company and tell them you might want to keep the car. You have that right, but they will then need to subtract the salvage value when they pay you. So, for instance, if the insurance company was going to collect $1000 from turning the car over to a junkyard, that could be $1000 less they can offer to you. If you strike a deal, it will be up to you to find the best, most affordable shop to perform the necessary repairs. Be sure to post an update for us when you get some numbers.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how much is insurance offering you, and how much do they want for it?

5. 2012 Prius v wagon 3

2012 Prius v wagon 3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, agreed. And this is what I would pursue if I found it to be repairable.

But when you go down this route, the car's title will be forever branded as SALVAGE (varies by state), in case that concerns you. And then you'd need to go through some re-certification procedure with the DMV where they check it and confirm it is safe and road worthy.

What kind of accident was it? Kind of odd to have 3 out of 4 doors damaged but nothing else. That's actually good for getting a cheap repair. Often you'll be able to just get complete doors at a junk yard for very low prices, and simply swap them in.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    At least in my state, you get it back from the insurer with a title branded SALVAGE. You do the rebuilding work, get an inspection from a public official, and turn the title in for one that's (forever) branded REBUILT.

Air bags get hot when they deploy, and sometimes damage the wiring leading to them, farther back than the connector plugs, so that just popping new airbags in (as if even they were easy to afford) won't do, and a wiring harness needs to be replaced. How about the seat belt retractors, did they deploy?

You should even look closely for any cracks or damage in structural metal near where any of the pyrotechnics deployed.

It could become a bit the project.

7. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    delete

#7 Grit, Apr 1, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I keep hearing that once the air bags go off it's pretty much a write-off, due to the expense to replace them, AND the likely severity of all the other damage.

I would move on, and if that means not having a car, taking transit/taxis, at least for a while, maybe for the best. Don't saddle yourself with a money pit.

9. Peter123

Peter123 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have heard of salvage rebuilds where the airbags where replaced with known bad airbags. Unless you buy the replacements from a dealer and put them in your self, I would walk away and get a new car.

10. wackofamily

wackofamily New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Car Insurance companies will just total a hybrid. It liability issues. Thata why your car insurance is a lot higher.
    I would part it out. Or sell it dealership or body shops.

Also you got to see if you can get it insuranced if you repair it. Some companies will not insurance salvage titles

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I guess it depends on the state to some extent, but here you wouldn't be driving a car with a SALVAGE title, you would rebuild it, then ask the state to convert the title to REBUILT, then talk with the insurance co. (Or talk with them as soon as you have the signed-off copy of the convert-to-REBUILT paperwork, as you might be driving the car away before the rebranded title arrives in the mail.)

12. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My insurance company will only provide liability coverage on salvage title.

13. 5 Speed

5 Speed Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I purchased a vehicle from the insurance company that was technically totaled. It was my friends daughter's car that was almost new but because the manufacture price on interior parts is so high it was totaled. The vehicle was actually stolen and the interior stripped. I put an interior inside the vehicle that I got from a salvage yard and then had to have a "Brake and Lamp" inspection from a specific certified shop to get it registered. It was basically a new car after I replaced all the parts but it did have a salvaged title. If it was my vehicle and I love to work on cars I would do it in a second as long as there was no frame damage. I believe since you are the owner you have the first option to purchase the vehicle back from the insurance company.

14. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It may not be what the OP wants to hear, but I think I'd just get as much compensation from the insurance company as possible, and then look for a new vehicle.
    Primarily this would be based on the potential economics and also the future integrity/safety of the vehicle.
    You're already looking at considerable expense, in just replacing the parts that visually look like they need replacing. Airbag repair is also expensive.
    And my fear is that there could be a lot of damage that isn't visible,- such as frame damage.
    I wouldn't approach this assuming the needed repairs are simply plug and play with parts. For SAFETY reasons, it should be evaluated by a competent body shop, for those unseen possible repairs, especially potential frame damage.
    At best, in the end you'd have a 8 year old Prius c, with a title that was branded rebuilt/salvaged.

I hate to say it, but simply moving on to a "next" vehicle I think might be the best move.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    best bet is to do a google search using key words and prius chat.

16. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I hate to say it but I think rebuilding that car would be a mistake. Better to take the insurance payout, move on and find another to fall in love with. Maybe even a newer model of the same?

Mendel Leisk likes this.