1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trying to understand the dealer adjustable features

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by 8AA, May 15, 2004.

1. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There are several features on the Prius that are dealer adjustable. These include operational options for the door locks, the security system, the interior illumination, temperature display adjustments, air conditioning, and Smart Entry Smart Start (SE/SS). Reading the posted list of features, it is apparent that some of the descriptions lost something in their translation from Japanese. I'm going to put together a new table with clearer descriptions, but I need a little help. Some of the features are vague, but some are downright cryptic. Before I post my best guess for review, I'd appreciate some inputs.

I want to start with the one that I find the most bizarre and is listed under the category of SS/SE:

SMART BACK DOOR

The Toyota description is as follows:

Function to open a back door when the key is detected inside the back door.

The choices are:

LONG/TWICE/OFF/LONG with the default being LONG

Obviously the options listed were meant for a different feature, probably something to do with a warning beep. However, I'm at a loss to understand why LONG is listed twice. My guess is that this feature is similar to one called SMART TRUNK that allows you to decide if you want the back hatch to recognize the Smart Entry fob and allow you to open the hatch when the rest of the car is locked.

Do you think that it is a fair assumption that SMART BACK DOOR allows you to decide if the back doors recognize the Smart Entry fob, or if only the driver and front seat passenger doors handles respond to a Smart Entry fob being nearby? If this is true, then the options should be ON/OFF, but who knows what the default really is, I assume that it is ON.

2. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Just looked at the '04 Prius ESM (Electronic Service Manual). In the "Customize Parameters" section (file cicupa.pdf, for those playing the home version of our game), it says the following for SMART BACK DOOR:
    Not that this is radically clearer than what you've found, but my best guess would be
    • It's the way the car beeps when you leave the SS/SE fob in the luggage area (or the entire car) and try to lock the trunk?
    • The second LONG setting you was a typo -- LONG is the default setting, and they didn't say "default" anywhere.

3. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Bookrats,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I just don't get it. The description says "Function that enables back door to open when key is inside luggage compartment" Nothing about alerts or warnings, just whether you want the back door to open when the key is inside the car. The name of the function is most similar to this one is SMART TRUNK, and while the '04 doesn't technically have a trunk, the name is likely a carry over from the Classic Prius.

Is cicupa.pdf posted somewhere here, is it on another board, or is it one of those files you have to download from Toyota? I was basing my comments on the descriptions in the file multi5.pdf, which was posted on the Yahoo board.

I'd like to review the other file to see if it makes more sense.

4. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I sent you personal mail with the cicupa.pdf file attached.

Some background: the cicupa.pdf and multi5.pdf files are both from the Prius '04 Electronic Service Manual. (I remember downloading the multi5.pdf file from the Yahoo group, and later, when I got the ESM, comparing it to the multi5.pdf file in the ESM.)

The ESM is a wonderful resource, but it is organized in the most god-awful way you can imagination. Dozens of directories and subdirectories of PDF files, and you need to use Adobe Acrobat Reader's Search tool to search for a phrase throughout the whole directory. Great fun.

I'm leaning towards a "beep" setting, not because of the description, but because of the parameters -- off, long, twice.

I certainly agree with you that there seems to be a glitch in the translation; though I have seen American engineer-speak that produces technical descriptions about that obtuse, too. :D

5. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

it's nice to see that I'm not the only one who has trouble understanding "Jinglish" as it's called.

6. boa8

boa8 New Member

Really!

BTW: what's the size of your gloves?