1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TSB EG-0127T-1014 (SW update to avoid cylinderhead gasket failure)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by OptimusPriustus, Sep 19, 2023.

1. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks, I'll just ask for the latest revision available for my VIN.

In Hawaii, we have to work with Servco, not directly with Toyota, so there's that.

Another layer of middleman to deal with.

SM-G781V ?

2. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've wondered about that, too. I'll need to rehearse the terminology before making such a request.

3. Melthias

Melthias Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Two days ago I walked into the dealership and said to the person who schedules service "Hey so I replaced the intake manifold on my prius, but I am looking for you to do the software update on the TSB." I then showed her the page with the firmware versions. She typed up a few things and verified from me that the codes had popped up when I was in the process of replacing the intake. I said "yes" (not true). I now have an appointment for next Tuesday. She said it would take an hour and a half, first 30 min being a multipoint inspection (free) and then about an hour of shop time ($148).

In reality I did not change the manifold and just cleaned the old one. I think it is highly unlikely that a tech will take apart the engine bay to look for the number on the #4 intake runner to verify my work.

The TSB for the intake manifold is T-SB-0103-12 and the calibration ID upgrade for my 2012 prius is 34734000 -> 34734400

I hope that this update includes the water pump, though there seems no way of knowing for sure. Perhaps I will use techstream to see if the rpm is higher after, but I am not sure if it effects speed or duration of the pump running.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I didn't even bother saying anything about the manifold or the EGR valve. I just said I'd noticed this same ID in two different TSBs and it was newer than the one I had. (Clearly, since the same firmware ID is used in one TSB that doesn't change the manifold and in one TSB that doesn't change the EGR valve, it can't depend on which manifold or which valve you've got.)

At least at my dealership, they didn't put me through any interrogation. I was paying for the work, anyway.

5. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, if you can compare speed and duration of pump speed under identical conditions before and after the update, that would be very interesting. Post-update, it may run faster under steady-state conditions like steady high power output (as well as through transient situations I mentioned earlier). Running the pump longer or faster to reduce hot spots in the engine is likely to help life expectancy of the vulnerable pump impeller, as well.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    At the dealer today for the update. Gave them the firmware version number I wanted.

Quoted me $166.XX for the "service".

SM-G781V ?

7. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well, that went about how I expected it to go with Servco.

Service tech performed a healthcheck using Techstream and found no DTC codes. Said that TSB EG 0127T-104 applies if DTC code p0401 present. Since no DTC codes found, they did not flash firmware 34728500, confirmed current version on vehicle is 34728000.

Wasted 1.5 hours of my time and $86 (discounted per advisor) for nothing.

SM-G781V ?

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    So wait till the EGR’s completely blocked up with carbon, and P0401 code trips; yeah Toyota’s got your back. :rolleyes:

xliderider likes this.
  9. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, I guess my mistake was referencing the TSB that referenced the DTC code.

Maybe if I had just told them I wanted the latest available engine ECU firmware for my vehicle flashed they Might have done it?

Like flashing the latest available firmware for your smart TV, etc. You don't wait for problems, you just flash it because others have had problems, a fix is developed, and distributed. SMH

SM-G781V ?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Did you give them the wrong TSB number, or did you give them the right one and they looked up the wrong one?

This thread is about TSB EG-0127T-1014 (note the four digits, "1014", at the end, not "104") and this TSB has nothing, nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with EGR or with any P040x code. You can read it in post #4.

11. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Typo, I gave them the correct TSB number (TSB EG-0127T-1014), and they referenced the correct TSB in their service report.

SM-G781V ?

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Then they just didn't read it, and made something up? Their story about it requiring P0401 is just completely un-based in anything it says.

13. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Apparently, they weren't able to find the TSB I gave the number of.

They indicated that the updated version for the engine ECU was indicated only if p0401 was present.

Not sure if I should try again, and give them a copy of the TSB, explaining that I'd like to get the update due to the excessive idling time, heat (summer in Hawaii), and getting stuck in traffic jams, sometimes taking hours to go 10+ miles. 20240213_140338.jpg

SM-G781V ?

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Oh right, because you're in HI and the TSB mentioned in this thread was released in Yurp.

I went to my US dealer with just a guess that maybe the calibration ID appearing in two different US TSBs could include the same fix. Of those two TSBs, T-SB-0027-16 does mention an EGR code, while T-SB-0103-12 does not (it mentions P2111 and P0A0F).

So maybe I just lucked out, talking my dealer into installing that calibration without having any of those codes.

And maybe all it does is raise the target idle RPM a tad, until the coolant hits 30℃. That's the only thing I can positively say I've noticed it doing. I never datalogged enough previous water pump behavior to be able to say whether that is now different.

15. Melthias

Melthias Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In the week since I had it installed I noticed that in the first day or two the RPM was strangely high at random times (like applying the brake and coasting to a stop with the RPM getting up to 2500. That has since settled out, and I am chalking it up to the computer relearning baselines. I am glad that my dealer took me on my word and said this on the order: "Customer replaced the intake manifold himself and would like the ECM flashed as per this TSB. Customer indicates that codes XXXXX were present at the time of replacemnt."

16. PriusTime

PriusTime Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a 2013 so it was made before this TSB. In 2019 I received the letter about the J0V software update/recall and had the Toyota dealer install that calibration. I wonder if that also included these updates to water pump logic?

17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The water pump logic is in the ECM. The J0V update was to a different ECU. (So were the E0E / F0R recalls that get done with J0V if they've not been done already.)

PriusTime likes this.
  18. Danno5060

Danno5060 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I just got finished with the EGR service (replaced the EGR valve, and gaskets, as well as cleaning the EGR cooler, pipe, and intake manifold, and I also cleaned the throttle body and replaced the PCV valve while I was there) on my Gen 3 with 110K miles.

I wanted to make sure that the cooling pump logic was also upgraded so I took it to the dealer yesterday. I remembered taking the car in for some sort of software update under a vehicle recall a few years ago, but I didn't know what the full deal was. All I remember is that it was free (to me).

I scheduled an appointment and brought my car to the Toyota dealer yesterday. I didn't say the TSB number for the upgrade - I left it to them to figure out. I told them I'd done the EGR service and wanted to see if there was an update to the ECU for the EGR system. They let me cool my heels in their waiting area for an hour, told me that an ECU update had been installed, and charged me $148.43 ($124.00 for the labor, $17, 36 for shop supplies, $7.07 in sales tax).

They also gave me a vehicle inspection report - that I didn't ask for. I believe the vehicle inspection was done (at least the windshield wiper portion because there were wiper streaks across my windshield where there were none before.)

My concern is how do I tell if they actually flashed the ECU, and to what level? (I had forgotten to take out my OBD2 reader, and it was still in the port when I got the car, I didn't find any stickers on the ECU, or under the hood to say what version of firmware had been loaded, and all of the trip mileage data was still there.)

I don't have a fancy OBD reader, just a bluetooth scan tool and a couple of the Android OBD2 scan tools on my phone.

19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Techstream shows the calibration IDs installed in the ECUs, so that information is available to a scan tool, but I don't know offhand what other scan tools will show it.

20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Wonder what the effing shop supplies were in this case... I've had similar experience, daughter would lose keys regularly with her Pilot, and one time (at least, trying to forget) I got the tab, and questioned the $15~ shop supply charge. C'mon...

Reality is, it's just another tax, but you can complain.

Air_Boss likes this.