1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TSB fuel capacity update

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Bob Allen, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hi: Those of you considering having the TSB work (which corrects fuel tank capacity problems) done on your car you should be advised that it might take several weeks for your dealer to get the parts. I've been waiting for over two weeks and my dealer says there are no Prius computer assemblies to be had and no estimated arrival date of the next shipment from Japan.
    Fortunately, the car runs fine so at least it isn't marooned in the shop with its brain laid out on a mechanic's bench.
    Bob

2. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That's weird.

I went in today just expecting them to get the TSB approved, and get the filler on order (As well as order the Center Console Cover that's losing its fabric, and the rattly Center Speaker). I was expecting to go back later after the parts were in to get it done (cept maybe the computer).

They said the Computer and filler tube would be in tomorrow morning if they ordered it this afternoon, but the center console cover was back ordered for weeks.

So, they have my car tonight (won't let me drive it once they've ordered the part) and promise me a turnaround on the TSB in 24 hours. We'll see.

They didn't order a new center speaker, just said they tightened the one in there, but I can't be sure of course til I get it back.

Will be interesting to see if they get the computer tomorrow.

I'm at 9500 miles and was planning on getting the 10K done at the same time as the TSB, but I told them to go ahead and do the 10K now to save another trip, though I'll still have to go back when the center console comes in.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good luck Tempus, the expected turnaround on the TSB is 48 hours. Mine took a week and a half to get in, and I was one of the first.

4. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Given the problems I had explaining the Odometer issue to the Service Writer, I'm not expecting it to happen. He didn't grasp the concept until we got the Service Tech involved. I'm assuming the he's relying on something on the Computer Screen as far as inventory.

I have the world's crappiest echo as a Loaner. That's fine for one day, but if they are going to keep it for an indeterminate amount of time, I'm going to get an upgrade out of them. Or at least a car that doesn't idle like a Mack Truck :)

5. rflagg

rflagg Member

Tempus, what dealer did you take yours to? At Koons, they expected the parts in the next day, but he's currently 'looking into why the computer didn't arrive' - I'll update more when I call him today.

-m.

6. rflagg

rflagg Member

An update on mine - the dealer called today, said it should take about 10 days for the computer to arrive - during this time I still have the car and am driving it, which means I'll have the same sort of situation Evan was in, I believe - driving from yesterday until the computer arrives will essentially not exist once the computer is replaced. I'll update again when I take the car in, in a few weeks.

-m.

7. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    This was DARCARS Silver Spring

When I first sat down with the Service Writer I told him he was going to have to decide whether to hold the car once he ordered the Odometer Computer.

He then came back to me and was ready to let me go with the car until I reminded him about the Odometer. He said the computer didn't contain the ODO, but I pointed to the document in his hand printed by his computer that said it did.

He then said "Wait Here" and went to find the Tech.

That conversation went like this:

Tech: Of course it has the Odometer, the car has to sit til it comes in or the mileage will be wrong. You have to give him a Rental.

SW: Why didn't you tell me that?

So, he comes back to me and tells me that the computer will be in tomorrow (today), and that he's going to give me a 24 hour rental. I told him that I thought the part took longer to get than that under the best of circumstances but I believed it was possibly back-ordered anyway. He said "The Computer Inventory says it is in-stock and will be here tomorrow"

Well, at that point I'm stuck, they've recorded the mileage and ordered the part. So, off I go in my rental.

This morning I get a call from him

SW: we have a problem with a part for your car.

Me: The Odometer Computer

SW: Right

Me: It's Backordered

Me: Two Weeks

Me: There aren't any in the US and they're being shipped in from Japan

Me: So I'll be in a Rental on your dime til it gets here. Call me when it comes in.

I think he hates me now :)

So, now I have to call Enterprise and make sure that Toyota officially Authorizes the Rental Extension, because they only wrote it for 24 hours. I also want a Real Car since I'm going to be in it so long. Enterprise has Prii right? hehe.

8. JHartman

JHartman New Member

Can someone please explain to me where exactly the odometer computer is going to be programmed with the mileage? If the parts are backordered from Japan, then I presume they are arriving at some distribution center in the U.S., at which point then would then be sent to the various dealerships with the orders. I would guess that is where they would be programmed if they are not programmed at your local service center. Why then can't you keep your car until the part is really being sent overnight? (or probably two day delivery at the worst.)

My parts were ordered 2 weeks ago. The service people have never asked for my mileage, although the Toyota service number I complained to did. I haven't heard from my local dealer and I've been busy so I didn't mind that the parts weren't in yet (especially after reading Evan's posts.)

9. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    When my Chevy with an electronic Odometer needed the Dash Cluster replaced, they had to send the entire Dash Cluster to a Super-Secret Facility Buried Deep in a Salt Mine out West.

There, a crack team of scientists in gleaming white coats, protected by ninjas, moats and alligators, took the number from my Dash Cluster and put it into the new one. Then they were all killed.

I'm assuming the reason they don't let Dealers program Odometers is to prevent them from having access to the ability to 'roll back' odometers. Every electronic Odo I've ever seen has been programmed at a central facility somewhere under strict control.

10. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tony,
    You're just a little bit....shall we say :crazyeyes: "off" :silly: , aren't you? :? :lol: :flame:

And I like ya that way...keep it coming.
    :computer:

11. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Tangent thought - perhaps the reason this ECU can't be just reprogrammed like many others is because doing so could allow a dealer to alter the ODO at the same time?