1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TSB on Multifunction Display - EL002-05

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Dauth, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Dauth

Dauth New Member

Hope I'm not hogging too much space here by creating a new topic out of a response I just made but I thought people would want to know. There is now a TSB out on the Multifunction Display (MFD) issues - TSB EL002-05. I don't have any of the details but my service department (Newark ToyotaWorld - Newark, DE) told me to get the word out on the site so others could know about it

I just picked up my car today after having it in for complaints of the screen freezing, slow response, radio randomly turning off and a few other MFD related issues other members have reported on. I have to give my service department credit for following through on it. I originally took the car in last week for the brake light recall and complained at the same time about the MFD problems. Even though they couldn't replicate the problem (and no TSB yet existed) they followed through and checked further this week. Toyota apparently released the TSB this past week.

Anyway now I have a question I hope someone out there can help me with - when I got my car back, it turns out they installed the wrong display in my car. I have a package 7 car (no navigation) but when they replaced my MFD they put in a Nav Package style display. All the buttons are there (except of course on the steering wheel) but without a Nav system it obviously won't work. I can take the car back and have them order the right screen and swap it out but, before I do that, is there anyway I can make this work out for me? Is there an inexpensive way for me to install the rest of the Navigation system (still no steering wheel controls). Seems a shame to let an opportunity like this pass by without at least checking to see what I can do.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for sharing this. I've been wondering why no TSB was issued earlier on this issue b/c it's been widely reported for almost a year now.

If anyone has access to the ToyotaTech site please download the TSP and provide a copy for those who might need it.

I keep hoping that my MFD will act up b/c I want the ability to toggle the Energy and Consumption screens with the steering wheel button which the new MFD provides, but the original does not!

3. rflagg

rflagg Member

Evan, mine just started doing this at 22k, so don't lose hope yet! :)

-m.

4. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Evan -- does this upgraded ability only occur with BC Prii -- i.e., ones with the NAV package?

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think it matters for that control since it's present on both vehicles, but I'm not sure about that.

6. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Dauth -

To answer your question, you might try contacting toyotapartsnow (Eddie from metrotpn.com) about what the part might be for the navigation system and how much it might cost. I think really you're just talking the box that goes under the seat and the antenna, though there could be other parts not including those.

PM him, he's pretty good about quick turnaround.

7. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    One of my fellow Prius owners in Canada had the MFD issue and had to get his replaced. Since the Canadian 04s don't come with NAV, I can confirm that the issue can happen on regular non-nav models.

Dave

8. PNeu

PNeu New Member

Constant MFD problems since November '04, last month checked by Toyota service. They odered new MFD, but I have no news about replacements for more than 4 weeks.
    I still like my Prius (as it defenitely worth more then I paid for it), but I think that Toyota service and reliability is overrated. They simply buy car journalists, I think.

9. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Just had my MFD replaced per the TSB. I've 21, 000 miles and all the symtoms above were happening for a week or so. Been cold at night and warm during the day. Problem seemed to occur when cold, then screen would work once it warmed up. My dealer ordered the part and it came 5 days later. Install took 30 minutes. All warranty, no hassles. Just adjusted screen contrast and brightness and it looks just like my original one...minus all the fingerprints. Love my Prius!

10. Kyle Pehrson

Kyle Pehrson Member

T.S.B. EL002-05

Here is the T.S.B. EL002-05
    This is not new it came out on the 10th of January.
    I thought you all had it. Sorry I attached it twice.

11. PNeu

PNeu New Member

As mentioned, I have this problem since November '04. Despite my complains Toyota service people were telling me that it's "temporary" problem and that no other owner experienced anything like that.
    Only after I found (thanks to Priuschat) TSB EL002-05 and sent it to them they diagnosed my problem properly.

New MFD ordered on Jan. 21, 2005. I'm STILL WAITING for it!

My cervice centre is "Emil Frey" in Geneva, Switzerland and my contact there is Mr. Farago. (phone +41 22 3085508)

FYI: Emil Frey is the largest (and the oldest) dealer of Toyota in Switzerland.
    Shame on both of them!

12. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had my MFD replaced last week. There was no mention of the TSB at my dealership. The problems started with not being able to control the radio volume, and progressed to not being able to control anything. There was also an error message about needed to check and see if the AC was connected. When the tech heard I had gotten that error message, he had them order a new MFD. I have had no problems since the new unit was installed.

13. Kyle Pehrson

Kyle Pehrson Member

I have been replacing them for almost a year now I do believe. I don't know how any one is just now figuring this out. Sorry I don't.