1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TSB Released on Fuel Gauge Innacuracies

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tempus, Aug 26, 2004.

1. mshappe

mshappe New Member

There definitely appear to be a few advantages to having to wait for a car :) I hadn't realised that the check-engine bug had also been fixed (altho' I haven't seen it, either, so I just thought I was lucky!).

As for VIN decoding -- the last part of the VIN (after U44) is strictly serial.

2. trapperjohn

trapperjohn Junior Member

Thanks for the info!

Trapperjohn

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    So my serial number is 100030. Sweet! An even 100,000 would have been neater but this is good. Nice round number one hundred thousand thirty. The really nice thing was while we were talking this up Toyota was fixing it up in two stages. Good problem solving. Change a variable step back look at it then improve again as needed. Classic. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :tongue: They're out there!!!

You know, way back in the earliest months after the '04 release we on the old 2004 YG discovered definative proof that the forum was being monitored by a company who was keeping a tally of what the discussions and complaints were about. I didn't get to grab a copy of the data before the web site stepped up security and blocked access... But one of the top things was the fuel guage issue.

I suspect this site is surveyed too. But the great news is that we're NOT ignored and Toyota's got the huevos to step to the plate and make things right. And it can be no small cost for this either. I'm just really really happy. I knew and accepted as an 'early adopter' that there could/would be problems. I'm happy to see that Toyota's correcting them all.

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    They're not going to be in any special hurry to get the TSB or parts to dealers, because it's not a safety issue.

My problem is that since it's not a recall or an SSC, they won't send out notices to owners, and it may well be that none of the other half dozen Prius owners in Fargo complain. I don't want to be the first one they work on, so I'm going to wait a while. The fact is, I can live with it the way it is, though I'd prefer to have it fixed.

How can you order the computer with the correct mileage without knowing what your miles will be by the time the computer arrives??? I sure as blazes don't want to leave my car with them for a month so they can note the mileage and then wait for the part. Do they allow some leeway so you can estimate?

Guess I'll wait a while and then call and ask.

6. CHART

CHART Member

Wow!!! This is great news. While the guess gage did not make me lose sleep, I was just complaining to my wife yesterday that last week I had close to 400 miles on the car and 3 solid bars left. After 2 short trips around town (less than 5 miles) I had a single blinking bar!!??!! I filled up and the car only took 6.5 gallons. I've come to accept the tank's eccentricities.

I am happy from a "just bought a new car" perspective that they have recognized and fixed this. Now my problem is (as any of you who have read my rant in the 15K service thread http://priuschat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?...912&highlight=) know is, which of the "Bubba's" around here do I trust to do this service? They probably would do an OK job, but I really don't want to be without my car for an extended time if they screw it up. Sigh.....

7. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Looks like I'm up for the computer and filler pipe.

If it takes a lot of whining to get on the to-be-fixed list, I'll be ready.

However, I'd prefer that at least one other Toyota Center customer go first. Please?... :mrgreen:

8. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I finally spoke to the service manager at my local dealer. I explained how the last time I got gas the last bar was blinking and I only could get 8 gallons in the tank. He remarked that it sounded normal. Anyway, I am taking the car in tomorrow to have them check it out, check the VIN # and call Toyota Technical to see if I should go ahead and order the parts to do the work.

I am a little concerned about being the first one. There is nothing else wrong with the car. I would hate to have them tear the car apart and create problems that don't now exist.

I'll let everyone know tomorrow what they say after I get back from the dealer.

Jeff

9. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine's certainly within this range.

MY thought though is if the ODO computer has to be ordered with the correct mileage programmed, that would mean that the car would need to be left for more than a day to have this completed as I'm sure the vendor for this probably isn't local.

I do have a complaint on file for this and my vin (ending in 09090) certainly is in range for both.

Yay! I'm tired of nursing my tank.
    -Rick

10. Batavier

Batavier Member

The VIN# of my Preto Prius is waaaaay younger than that... :D :p

11. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I'm within the range and I regularly fillup with 11+ gallons after driving 80 or so miles on the blinking bar. In fact, I went 134 on the blinking bar on my next to last tank for a total of 703 miles. On the last tank I added 11.9 gallons. Perhaps the repair would allow me to not nurse in the last gallon or so, but why does mine work while others don't. My vin# is 53,***. Oh well, it's a mystery.

12. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that you have to nurse the last gallon or so is the issue. I have tried that twice and spilled a little bit of gas. When the pump shuts off now, I stop pumping. During my last fill up, the last bar was blinking. The pump shut off at 8 gallons. Hopefully this fix will allow me to put in close to the 11.9 gallons the tank holds.

Jeff

13. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just returned from the dealer. My car does fit in the VIN range for both parts. The parts have to be ordered which takes about a week. I will schedule the repair after they call and tell me the parts are in.

The service manager told me they have a policy not to tell customers about every TSB that comes out. They only discuss them with customers that have a problem or specifically ask about them. Seems that Toyota issues a lot of them that most folks never hear about. Certainly one of the advantages of a group like this. We usually find out what is going on before most dealers do.

Of course, when I get the work done I will report back on how it went. I did speak to the tech who will do the work and he said I should make the appointment to leave the car for the day so he doesn't feel like he has to rush.

Jeff

14. JHartman

JHartman New Member

Amen! Service was aware of bulletin

I complained about the "guess gauage" directly to Toyota and indirectly through the Yahoo groups. My last fill-up was at 370 miles after averaging 50mpg and filling up from blinking fuel light to blinking fuel light. I am going to be sooo happy if this helps!

I just called Miller Toyota in Culver City, CA and they were aware of this bulletin (yeah!) It just so happens that I'm going out-of-town next week so I'm going to drop it by on Thursday. Will let you know what happens.

15. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Went by my service dept. today. They were skeptical..I think that's the best way to put it. But, they're having me bring the car in on Wed. to "check it out and make sure that you need that done". I tried to explain there there isn't really anything to be checked, but I think this is the 'policy', and Katy bar the doors if we break with a policy for the sake of logic and reason. So, I'll take the opportunity to have the SSC-40E work done at that visit so it won't be completely a waste of time.

They thought they might need to send my old computer in to have the ODO burned into the new one...I sure hope that isn't the case. If anyone can definatively say that it isn't necessary to do that I'd sure be glad to hear it.

16. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Jeff, I like your tech, an honest one. The first of any project is the worst and to be rushed is the recipe for disaster.

17. removeum

removeum Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    TSB

Tempus,

Thank you for posting the TSB. I contacted Performance Toyota here in Omaha and they said not a problem and ordered the parts.

18. artie

artie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    i go in monday, leave the car behind, they estimate 2 to 4 days, then pick it up all better...i hope! dealer gave no hassle, knew about the tsb on thursday last, they're giving me a loaner of course, hope it's something interesting, so...i'll let you all know the outcome, needless to say.

19. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hmm... Do they have to provide a loaner while the car is in the shop for this TSB?

Dave

20. artie

artie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    i don't know, but i am a loyal customer to this dealer, they appear to be responding in kind.