1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TSB Released on Fuel Gauge Innacuracies

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tempus, Aug 26, 2004.

1. removeum

removeum Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    TSB

They will be replacing both items this Friday. The service department has told me it will only take 4 hours.

2. artie

artie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    well, my car sits at the dealer waiting for the computer/gas gauge to arrive and i'm driving a scion Xb. for some reason i feel no trepidation at all at letting the wrench manhandle my wonderful car...perhaps i'm having a spiritual experience at letting go. the scion is not as much fun as i thought, nothing next to our prius, IMHO, tomorrow, i'll trade it for a camry, if they're not done...they did call today just to update me that they're on the case.

3. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The update addresses two issues:

1. Gas gauge not consistently reading accurately. Mine will hang at 3 bars for quite some time before dropping to 2 then 1 really quickly.

They're adressing this with an updated combination unit computer which contains the ECU for the fuel gauge, as well as some vehicle angle sensors (weighted sticks on potentiometers or something like that). While I found the gauge annoying, it wasn't a deal breaker for me.

2. Once we get pretty low, the most many of us can get in is 7-8.5 gallons w/o nursing it. For the early cars, some have even run out and could only get 9 or so gallons in. The rated capacity of our tank is 11.9 gallons. If we were to run it out, we should expect to get about that back in from an accurate pump.

I see this as a filler neck problem since the vapors aren't allowed to escape into the vapor recovery section of the nozzle as easily as they should be. As the bladder gets full, the tank is then exerting pressure like a ballooon if we force more gas in. This generally forces the nozzle to click off, even though we're only about 3/4-7/8 full (gauge reads full for a while though). If you attempt to put more in, withdrawing the nozzle somewhat and using a slow fill, one can usually get .5-2.0+ more gallons in. However if this is not done carefully, as the vapors "burp" from the tank, they will tend to force gas back up the pipe, sometimes somewhat violently.

I want to be able to "click" off and know that my gasoline is near the top, and that I can't get much more in :) Why? In my '02, I could easily go 500+ miles per tank on a long trip (or from SoCal to Phoenix on about 1/2 tank). In the '04, because of the "reduced capacity" problem, we must stop more often, which seems to negate some of the advantages of a higher economy vehicle on long trips. I'd get to Phoenix w/ 3 bars left even though my MPG was slightly better.

You bet I'm going to have it done. I just would like to know how long they'll need the car.

4. artie

artie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    one of the reasons i'm having the tsb done as we "speak" is that i've only gotten over 7 gal. into the car twice in 8 months and that sucks!

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i sure hope not. as this is an aftermarket fix or a quasi recall thingy, i would have to assume that if you are outside the applicable range that there is nothing to fix. iow, you already have this thing they are talking about.

maybe what we need is a method for verifying that we do have this?

6. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Evan said it all. If you have any doubts in your mind, hold off, the TSB is not a required fix. If you have a problem that it covers then at your discretion have it repaired. I'd wait till at least November and see what all the posts on the fix say. If it repairs a defect that you have, get it done. By November all the bugs doing the job will be reported and you'll have good idea if you want to chance it or not.

7. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    umm well, my car supposedly has this fix already, and i must say that i dont really have many complaints as to how it works, but it is not any more linear than any other gas gauge ive seen.

for a while i tracked how far i got on each bar to see if i could discern a trend. (i assumed the first and last bar would go the furthest like any other gas gauge) but i encountered problems. such as bars disappearing over night. that happened to me nearly every day, making it tough to nail down when the thing disappeared and made me think that the gauge has to do some settling to work hence the "corrected" reading after sitting for a period of time.

i guess i just need to drive till i see the blinking bar or something. ive only gone to one bar once.

and as far as programing the new computer for existing odometer readings, i would think that it would not be done by hand but would be done by the old odometer when the switch takes place making an estimated total mileage submission by the end user unneccessary.

8. JHartman

JHartman New Member

A call from Toyota

Well sure enough I had a call from someone higher up at Miller Toyota telling me that they are going to order the parts and they'd call me as soon as they came in. The funny thing is that they made it sound like it was all the factory's fault. According to the story Miller tried to get me the parts and the factory said I didn't qualify, but Miller went through all of the paperwork and said that I did qualify. They have faxes from the factory to prove it but they are going ahead and ordering the parts anyway. Hey as long as I get it fixed I'm happy, but I would wager that corporate Toyota called Miller Toyota and told them to get it taken care of.

Rick did a nice job of summarizing the problems and I agree with him that one of the things that really bugged me was that I would regularaly go 550 miles on the '02 without the low light on, yet on the '04 it would come on at 370 (or even less!)

9. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Jennifer,

You said they're ordering the parts - are they keeping your car while they order the ECU since the new ECU needs to have the mileage figure from the old, and that's set at the factory per the TSB?

That's been my biggest reservation about getting it done sooner vs. later.

10. JHartman

JHartman New Member

No Rick, I'm not taking my car until the parts are in. That was one of my big complaints. The first time I had called to make sure they had the parts and was told they did (obviously a lie but this is why I called again and spoke to the "prius service rep" before I brought it in just to make sure.) I think it is absolutely a waste of everyone's time (and Toyota's money) for me to take the car in for them to "check it out." Miller has done all of the service on my car before and had the VIN number on record plus I had called Toyota earlier in the year to voice the problem so they had it on record. If I hadn't complained before then I would have taken if they requested.

11. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm with Jennifer...it is/was a waste of time to bring the car in for this. Pure BS. I made the most of my trip in today by having the LSC-40E work done while I was there.

I noticed the car back out in the parking lot after about 30 minutes. I waited another 45 minutes and no one had come out to say it was done. So, I head to the desk to see 'what's up'. Well, sure enough, they seal repair was done and they were just figuring out what to order, and how to do it and getting around to that. Faced with me standing there the guy said "Oh, you can take the car, we'll just order this stuff and tell you when it's ready."--"Thanks", I said---hopefully imparting the subliminal "Why couldn't you guys have thought of that 45 minutes ago while my finished car and I were waiting??

They're going to have the mileage I had on the ODO when I brought it in this morning burned into the new computer....I guess the miles I'm driving now are "free"....

Dave, I think you need to re-read the PDF, I think you have some misconceptions about how this repair works--the ODO must be burned in at the factory, not by the dealer.

12. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Time for that cross-country/world driving trip you've always wanted to do. :)

13. ifftster

ifftster New Member

I fall in the VIN range as well. I'm gonna get it fixed as soon as this huge hurricane passes. assuming of course there is a prius left.

14. JHartman

JHartman New Member

A reply from Toyota

After another discussion with the my service people who really did their best to try and convince me that the fuel gauge TSB was not going to solve my problem, I decided to try to find someone at Toyota that really knew what the TSB was for. I dug up an e-mail of a very knowledgeable Toyota rep/engineer I had met at the Engines Of Change tour that Toyota had put on for the Prius Pioneers last September. His reply was:

"My colleague spoke with our technical services group (PQSS) and they
    believe this TSB will resolve your problem. Of course, it's impossible to be 100% sure without seeing your car in person but we suspect this will take care of things."

This is good news! The parts have been ordered for me and should be in next week. Thanks Toyota. :)

15. mycounsel

mycounsel New Member

Fuel Gauge on Newer 2004 Prius

I picked up my new priur (Tideland #9) 10 days ago. The first fill-up took 9.99 gallons (I had to keep clicking the handle to get it that high -- it wanted to stop at about 9.94). The vehicle had travelled about 445 miles at that point. Seems like the fuel gauge is pretty close to accurate

16. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Fuel Gauge on Newer 2004 Prius

That's about what I'm hoping for with the new computer/filler neck. If that thing will flash at 10 gallons used I'll be thrilled. The most, in almost 12k miles, I've ever gotten in, and it was almost 75 miles beyond when the last bar started flashing, was 9.62 gallons!! I should have had at least another 2 gallons of usable fuel in the tank....over 100 miles of driving.

If it will flash with 10 gallons used I'll be thrilled....that'll be ~550 miles of driving with my average warm weather driving...if I get comfortable going a little beyond that toward 11 gallons that'll get me over the 600 miles/tank mark....and how nice that would be!

17. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    considering the hassles that seem to be needed. i would not recommend the fix. i supposedly have the fix and it the gauge still exhibits a lot of the symptoms that people here seem to think will be fixed.

such as

inconsistant readings
    bars disappearing when car is shut off and restarted.
    2 bars disappearing nearly at once.

and so on.

maybe what you guys without the fix are experiencing is simply much more severe than what im seeing. but to be honest with ya, i dont think it is. i must say that i dont have the overwhelming urge to get 600 miles per tank ful. (considering my other car barely got half that much, i feel blessed as it is.)

as far as i can tell the blinking bar starts when the tank is at ¼ a tank. so that equates to an additional 100-150 miles of range. my corolla had a big red "fuel" light that comes on at about the same time. so i consider this par for toyota. only thing is, the corolla also had a very accurate analog gauge also so a much safer driving range can be experienced with minimal risk.

i think instead of getting the fix, one should set the B trip and go 100 miles when the last bar starts blinking and hope the meter isnt lagging (evidenced by bars disappearing when car is shut off and restarted)

i guess what we need is feedback from those who got the fix on the before and after performance.

18. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that's what I suggested very early in this thread for anyone the least bit unsure. I'm recommending everyone who feels exactly like I do and has exactly the same symptoms I have and has the exact same confidence in their service guy to have the fix performed....since that's a small number (1 to be exact) I'm happy to be a guinea pig. I'll report back after the first and second (maybe beyond) tanks with my experience and recommendations...you know, the kind with hard data rather than just opinion.

19. rflagg

rflagg Member

20. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    wow that is a range of 100 miles. that is near the ¼ tank ratio. its too bad that toyota didnt institute a dual range fuel gauge with concentration of the accuracy in the last ¼ of a tank.

after all, its a digital gauge. would it be so tough to double the data points?