1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tundra will stall Toyota juggernaut

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by malorn, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have maybe seen 2 maybe 3 T-100's in the wild, So I'll agree it was a flop.

The current Tundra, while it has a higher payload than the Chevy, is the smallest vehicle in its class. That itself isn't a problem. The problem is it shares a sale lot with the Tacoma. At a glance it doesn't look much bigger than its mid-sized sibling, which happens to be one the most dependable and popular vehicles in its class. Toyota likely became its worst competitor here.
    What struck the Tundra off my list when I looked at them in 2000 was the premium gas. That's ok for a niche vehicle like the FJ-7, but for a vehicle segment where a majority buy for work or business, fueling cost comes into consideration. Yeah, I know the Tundra doesn't require the exspensive stuff anymore, But I didn't learn that until I was shopping for my Prius. So it's possible potential buyers, who looked when it was first introduced, still think it does.

I'll wait an see with the new one. The hybrid might be available by the time I'll need to look for a truck. All the truck makers will have diesels available. (Will Toyota be using Ford technology in its diesels?)

2. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I own a 04 Prius & an 04 Tundra ext cab I love them both

Im looking forward to the tundra diesel, :)

3. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ShellyT @ Sep 22 2006, 11:35 AM) [snapback]323388[/snapback]</div>
    I have a 2000 Tundra with a V8, I've only ever used regular, per the owner's manual. Maybe you are thinking of something else?

4. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    malorn owns a Chevrolet dealership. He mentioned that earlier. Maybe other dealerships too?

He is scared to death that his investment will dry up, since business is dropping, and worse yet, margins on vehicles are dropping.

He is most likely in Michigan, where I am from. The thought of GM folding is unthinkable, impossible, and I will admit, scary for my family who own homes in Michigan, homes that will likely devalue considerably.

If you get outside the midwest, you will see that not everyone is die-hard GM and Ford, and that Toyota actually does well without any help from the media, and GM and Ford are faltering even without the media reporting it.

malorn, stop beating the messenger, and start listening to the message. I've said it before, I'll say it again, go call GM corporate and tell them you have a guaranteed sale to a Toyota Die-Hard Prius owner. Just have them ship you a brand spanking new EV1 and I'll bring my checkbook.

Nate

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Sep 22 2006, 11:41 AM) [snapback]323394[/snapback]</div>
    Mmm, I remember seeing it on the window sticker, a dealer saying it was so, and on an auto site, but I can't find anything now. Maybe it was just a few, and Toyota changed it early on. Or just an error. This was around when it was first introduced, and they were running an ad where the Tundra was racing some sports car.

I knew someone with the Toyota minivan around that time which was recommended midgrade, but he used regular without problem. Premium is recommended for my mother's Acura, but it can use regular.

I'm sure it was the Tundra. While it was 5-6 years ago, the only thing I'd confuse it from that time with would be the Tacoma or Ford Ranger.

6. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Sep 22 2006, 11:47 AM) [snapback]323436[/snapback]</div>
    How about the Chevy Sequel. Start real-world testing next spring.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4531-10921_7-6637771.html

Toyota is a deer in the headlights on this!

7. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Sep 22 2006, 12:47 PM) [snapback]323436[/snapback]</div>
    Amen, GM you had one of the coolest cars on the market! Sure it was too expensive at the time but imagine how hard it would have been for toyota to take the "green" segment from you had you stuck with it instead of forcing CA to change it zeo emission regulations.... Just bring a true EV to marktet (or a Plug-In hyrbid) and you will start to do better.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Sep 22 2006, 07:42 AM) [snapback]323352[/snapback]</div>
    You act like Toyota never had a recall before. But then again, it's nice of you to think so highly of Toyota as a perfect, non-recall company :lol:

9. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Sep 22 2006, 03:13 PM) [snapback]323507[/snapback]</div>
    GM is road kill on Wall Street. Your next point?

10. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Sep 21 2006, 01:44 PM) [snapback]323050[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Sep 21 2006, 02:05 PM) [snapback]323065[/snapback]</div> I am at a loss in trying to understand your point with posting this link.

Please explain how a November 29, 2004 JD Power Press Release stating, “Owners of full-size pickup trucks . . . are now the most segment-loyal customers in the industry . .†helps prove any point you are trying to make.

Nowhere in that press release does it say were “segment-loyalty†is “brand-loyalty.â€

Pickup buyers will buy pickups, duh! :rolleyes:

The press release does not state anything along the lines of “GM pickup buyers are brand loyal GM pickup buyers.â€
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Sep 22 2006, 05:03 AM) [snapback]323309[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry malorn, Toyota has the bases loaded. The sad thing for GM is that at this stage in the game, it will only take a bunt single from Toyota to take the lead.

11. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  12. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Sep 24 2006, 03:08 PM) [snapback]324367[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry, you obviously don't know much about the new Tundra. It will be a rare bomb for Toyota. A bunt single for Toyota to take the lead. What does that mean? Toyota will sell more pickups than GM? Toyota will outsell Chevy? Toyota will outsell GM? Nationwide, worldwide? Clarify.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jburns @ Sep 24 2006, 03:00 PM) [snapback]324365[/snapback]</div>
    Which stock has enjoyed a meteoric-rise the last 6 months? Maybe you should check your facts before stating such uninformed things.

13. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Sep 25 2006, 08:37 AM) [snapback]324683[/snapback]</div>
    Of course you knew what the baseball metaphor stood for.

"It's inevitable Toyota will pass GM in terms of global market share," said Sasha Kamper, a fund manager at Principal Global Investors in Des Moines, Iowa. "The perception is Toyota creates the better-quality product. That puts GM at a disadvantage."
    http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/01/10/blo...rg/sxtoyota.php

Meteoric rise in six months? Phttt :p Typical GM short term mentality! :rolleyes:
    Try looking at a five year comparison against Toyota.
    http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=GM&t=5...mp;q=l&c=TM

14. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have a new Tacoma four door long bed truck. Those of you that are saying it completes with the Tundra should know that while the Tacoma is longer and wider than previous models the inside bed dimensions are the same as my 91 Toyota truck. The bed size is larger on the Tundra. Also the payload and towing capacity is higher on the Tundra.

I wonder which truck will have higher sales; the Honda Ridgeline or the Tundra.

15. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Sep 25 2006, 11:46 AM) [snapback]324711[/snapback]</div>
    I am glad you get all your information from a fund manager in Des Moines Iowa. Amazing what is considered news today. The Tundra will be such a disappointment, it will lead to the loss of Toyota's mojo and possibly the chance to become number one.

16. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  17. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Sep 22 2006, 03:13 PM) [snapback]323507[/snapback]</div>
    Sequel? More like 'Rerun'. Nothing personal, Malorn, but hydrogen is not a fuel source, and is a complete waste of time and money for anyone not living in Iceland. If this is what GM's planned resurgence is based on, take your investment and run.

18. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Woah, and I thought my Pinto was a rolling bomb. 10,000psi hydrogen tanks...!?! I'll make sure not to smoke while I'm refilling THOSE!

I've already got the license plate, BBQFOR4...maybe this one needs BBQFOR7...?

Seriously, I have no confidence in General Motors' ability to bring off such a technological tour de force. Heck, I'll be they still misspell the word 'gauge' by omitting the 'u.'

19. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Sep 25 2006, 12:30 PM) [snapback]324772[/snapback]</div>
    What, exactly, constitutes a disappointment? I hope that Toyota keeps their "eyes on the prize," and focuses on selling vehicles for a long-term profit, even if they remain number two indefinitely. Wouldn't that make more sense than selling vehicles at a loss in order to have mojo and a "number one" bragging rights for Q3CY06?

It's what has made the company strong, and short-term thinking is what has made GM falter in recent years. GM's issues are not a short term problem perpetuated by disassociated fund managers in Des Moines. GM has a real problem perpetuated by short-sightedness that continues to this day.

You seem to think that a soft market for the 07 Tundra will be a death blow for Toyota, but they will turn a profit on all the Tundras they sell, and post that profit at the end of every quarter, even if the sheer number of Tundras is lower than expected.

Nate

20. erogla

erogla New Member

IF the Tundra flops, it will be becuase it isnt big enough and doesnt have the large engine size and and torque of its domestic competiors.