1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tundra will stall Toyota juggernaut

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by malorn, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Malorn RULES!!!!!

2. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Sep 25 2006, 02:51 PM) [snapback]324832[/snapback]</div>
    What makes you think Toyota will turn a profit on all the Tundras they sell? Does Toyota ever lose money on vehicles they sell?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Sep 25 2006, 03:45 PM) [snapback]324879[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you MS! I understand you now rule where it is warm.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Sep 25 2006, 02:20 PM) [snapback]324806[/snapback]</div>
    So tell me what is a fuel source? I keep reading on here about GM's crushed EV1's. Did the electricity just fall out of the sky? What am I missing? Short of solar power or a vehicle with sails how will any vehicle ever run without "fuel"?

3. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Sep 25 2006, 02:49 PM) [snapback]324781[/snapback]</div>
    Nice link~ too bad you have to pay to look at it.... :(

I purchased my 04 because no recalls & it having a reputation of being dependable. Its the life sized truck :) .

I concidered the so called pricey Hybrid silverado but changed my mind when I read up on it, and found it wasnt a true hybrid like toyota is.. :mellow: Its a shame cause the truck was a good looking vehicle.

I purchased my $20k 04 loaded Tundra with the V6 as I had no need for a V8 and the V6 gas mileage was really good 18 city /22 hwy. B)

Of course I was used to driving a ford f250 that got (6 city / 12 hwy).

4. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Sep 21 2006, 01:16 PM) [snapback]322895[/snapback]</div>
    Keep wishing on that star, bubba. Of course, once all of the defects and recalls start up with the redesigns of the GM pickups, you'll probably start seeing more people turning to the Tundra for something that they can rely on. At least the Tundra won't have that piston slap problem eh?

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Sep 25 2006, 06:44 PM) [snapback]324971[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, in a way, electricity does just 'fall out of the sky'. It happens to rain a lot where I live, and most of our power is hydroelectric. Using the existing electric infrastructure to charge batteries makes infinitely more sense than creating a whole new 'hydrogen economy' that is less efficient and more expensive.

6. Bill60546

Bill60546 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just a simple question. You're a GM stockholder and you have one of two choices. You can either pick GM or Toyota's balance sheet (peformance). Which do you choose? Case closed.

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    uh, the heavy duty tundra isn't delayed... it's out... local dealership gets its first truckload this coming week.

we'll see how long they're on the lot... will be an indicator, no?

oh... btw... there's a dealer in tx that's taken about 300 preorders for these things... the only requirement is $30k cash up front with no confirmation of actual retail price :blink:

8. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    GM continues to throw all their money into long shots; E85, hydrogen fuel cells. These are things that lack infrastructure, not going to be big with the general public. GM makes that $40,000 sport truck that is pretty useless (actually I think it is no longer being produced).

There's alot of competition out there and at least Toyota is able to produce viable products for the general public. They will survive even if one of their line does not do as well as hoped because they "have the bases covered" with their extensive and varied lines.

9. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting read Malorn, thanks for the link. Did you know Honda is running a real world test of an H2 powered vehicle? There was a Tom Friedman global warming special on Discovery Times a few weeks ago that showed it. There is a family useing it on a daily basis (it is a mini van), I believe it is H2FC (as opposed to H2 ICE). To "gas up" they went to a station that had a hundred foot or so long array of solar panels, the output seperate H2 from water. Sadly though the solar array could only produce about half of the H2 they needed in a typical week.

Like Pinto Girl mentioned, those 10K PSI tanks :huh: it would be quite a sendoff if you got rear ended, not to mention the scraptional!

I had been a long proponent of H2 power, but have recently started to become more skeptical. Darreldd (sp?) who is a regular poster here has some very good arguments and reference material showing major problems with H2. Mainly, battery technology has improved to the point where it's more efficient to store in batteries and use directly.

10. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Sep 25 2006, 07:44 PM) [snapback]324971[/snapback]</div>
    Do you have any proof that Toytoa doesn't make money on all their vehicles? The only people I have seen question this is competitors who speculate on the cars profitability.

Either way, I highly doubt that the Tundra will stall Toyota. Toyota has too much dirversity of it's product line for one vehicle too really stop them. Toyota is projecting 200,000 Tundra next year, compared to over 400,000 Camrys. Toyota's image of quality and reliability has much more capacity to stall the company than their truck not doing as well as expected.

11. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tleonhar @ Sep 29 2006, 09:56 PM) [snapback]325876[/snapback]</div>
    Yup, Darrell's a pretty bright guy. He's also more polite than I am, 'because I'm going to say straight out that hydrogen power is a farce. Even if clean electricity were used to generate the hydrogen, and it likely won't be in most places, it's waaay more efficient to charge batteries. We already have an electrical infrastructure that works just fine, for the most part. Hydrogen generation plants and distribution facilities are going to cost billions. Fuel cells, if and when they actually work and fit in a car with room left over for people, are ridiculously expensive and don't last very long. And, the stupid things still need batteries! Hydrogen is not the future. It's a farce.

12. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Sep 28 2006, 08:49 PM) [snapback]325377[/snapback]</div>
    SAme town as the plant. Great info on the shipments. HAve not even built one to sell yet.
    Any other great info for us?

13. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Sep 30 2006, 02:50 PM) [snapback]326109[/snapback]</div>
    uh... yeah.

the plant in tx is not up and running yet. try again.

they're being bulit in indiana. they're clearing out room for the 07s by doing 0% financing. you know about trying hard to move inventory, yes? ;)

well we shall send a picture of your not-yet-built tundra when they start to arrive... shouldn't be long according to the dealership owner, who's pretty hyped about the whole thing. i'd think a toyota dealer owner would know more about it than a gm dealership owner.

14. Mystery Squid

Actually, I have a weird perspective on this... I was in rural GEO-GIA over the weekend, I got to talking to one of those hard-core Bass fishin' dudes. Well, I was telling him how I will someday get back into the truck scene with an obnoxiously huge F250, and he says, get this: he wants a Tundra.... :eek:

That's when the show pauses, and Waylon Jennings voice comes on and says, "Well, things ain't always what they seem in Hazzard County..." :ph34r:

...and on TOP of that, we were watching one of those Bass fishing competition shows, and they guy in first place had the name TOYOTA in huge letters across his chest. Obviously, him and his bad asss Bass boat was sponsored by, in, at the very least, some significant part, Toyota...

Now, when the good 'ole fishin' boys down south start wantin' Tundra's.....

15. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Oct 1 2006, 03:10 PM) [snapback]326541[/snapback]</div>
    Check your facts again.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Oct 2 2006, 07:47 AM) [snapback]326794[/snapback]</div>
    Toyota has been the official truck of BASS fishing for sometime now. Kind of like the Ridgeline being Motor Trend truck of the year. Money can buy anything.

16. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Oct 2 2006, 03:45 PM) [snapback]327037[/snapback]</div>
    Touche...

17. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  18. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Oct 2 2006, 02:49 PM) [snapback]327052[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you. Have you also noticed Toyota has very quietly ratcheted back its sales forecasts form 200,000 units in '07 to 150,000 units? The stories are everywhere. Remember you heard it here first!

19. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Sep 28 2006, 03:46 PM) [snapback]325199[/snapback]</div>

Oh... thoguht you meant the Tundra for a second. It's just with all of the Toyota recalls in the news, I lose track of which Toyota's being recalled on which day.

There's an old saying about people in glass houses and it has something to do with throwing stones. No Toyota owner (and that includes myself) should be making fun of any other car for suffering recalls.

20. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Oct 1 2006, 03:10 PM) [snapback]326541[/snapback]</div>
    Make sure you post a photo on here when your Toyota dealer has the new Tundra in his lot. I'll be waiting.