1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tuning Std Rng Plus Model 3 for battery degradation

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by bwilson4web, Aug 11, 2020.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I wanted to share my experimental tuning of a 2019 Std Rng Plus Model 3 to compensate for battery degradation. Widely reported, the first year is ~5% followed by a 1% loss every year. My battery is about 3-4% (not an easy metric) so I wanted to start a tuning effort to compensate for the initial loss.

My first effort is to replace the OEM rims and tires with lower weight rims and lower rolling drag tires. My particular car has a single, rear drive motor and ~50 kWh battery, 2/3ds the size of the other models. This means I can 'lighten up' on the tire loads because it is ~600 lbs (1,320 kg) lighter. Furthermore, I drive in "chill" mode, about 75% of the maximum, "standard" mode.

Using Consumer Reports claims:
    • Bridgestone EP422 Plus - low rolling resistance series
    • 235/45R18 -> 225/55R18 - narrow tread and lighter weight
    • lighter weight rims
    Compared to the OEM rims and tires, each saves ~5 lbs (2.8 kg) times four tires. Unfortunately, the front has an overhanding, king pin support that forced the first two tires to be on the rear only. Regardless, the high wear rating means these tires should last at least 2-3x longer than the OEM.

An on-going experiment, the front tires have a low wear rating and a recent screw event meant the local tire shop would not repair it. The "Stop and Go" kit using a mushroom shaped plug failed so I reverted to 'sticky string' which so far, is doing OK.

I have three candidate, front tires and am leaning to lowest rolling resistance tire with modest wear rating. Since the front wheels are not powered, they should have an 'easy life'. We typically saw ~2x difference between the powered versus unpowered tires in our past Prius.

Source: Plug tire vs "Road Hazard" - Tesla Owners Online

Enjoy!

Bob Wilson

2. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Is this something that can be addressed by spacers or a different offset wheel?

Reducing that rotating weight makes a big difference. Back in my bicycle racing days we'd say an ounce on the wheel is with a pound on the frame.

3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I briefly thought about:
    • shaving the inner tire tread - these are 225 vs 235 so they are already narrower
    • spacer - almost a 1" interference on the inner tread which exceeds my comfort zone for a simple spacer
    Having these larger diameter tires on the rear gives a slight cheetah stance. So yesterday I parked at Whole Foods and a nice lady in her car rolled down her window and said, "I saw your car and had to see it."

Bob Wilson

4. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Physically removing tread? No, no. That leaves nothing for flex and tire pressure variations. Danger Will Robinson . . . .

bwilson4web likes this.
  5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I decided against that for similar reasons plus where do you find someone you could trust to do the job right?

Perhaps if I were doing some competition, track driving, where the tires are never going to be on the road ...

Regardless, they fit fine on the rear and give the car a slight, crouching cat look.

Bob Wilson

Mark57 likes this.