1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Turbo charger on a Prius V???

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Gandolf989, Jul 21, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    If his car was newer it would be illegal to improve his emissions apparently because of carb

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I don't think he's in CARB territory.

3. Gandolf989

Gandolf989 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I like my Prius V. It isn't flashy, but I own it out right. If I keep it three years, I will have gone 30 years with 3 cars. By then there should be more affordable electric cars.

Tim Jones likes this.
  4. samlarson

samlarson New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Or they build Prius on hydrogen

5. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Was reading some auto industry stuff yesterday and there has been talk at toyota about discontinuing the prius.
    Sales are down world wide.

6. meeder

meeder Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The trend is more to BEVs worldwide and the traditional ICE vehicles are rapidly closing in on the Toyota HSD in terms of fuel economy but without some of the downsides (which downsides, that depends on the territory where you live).
    The VW eTSI in the Golf mk8 seems to have the same real world fuel economy as a Corolla HSD and VW achieves it with nothing more than a 48V starter/generator and cylinder deactivation.

7. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    ya... like traction battery, egr system, inverter, and crazy master cylinder setup.

8. Vman455

Vman455 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know if turbocharging a v is possible, but turbocharging a first-gen Prius has been done. Julian Edgar, former editor of Autospeed, supercharged and then turbocharged a Prius several years ago. He just posted pictures on the Ecomodder forum this week, in this thread (posts #10 and #11).

SFO likes this.
  9. Ronald Doles

Ronald Doles Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I have always been a performance enthusiast and when I was a teen I read every Hot Rod magazine on the planet.When I first got out of the military in 1970 I decided to turbocharge my "3 on the tree", 2600 lb, 199 cubic inch, 1967 Rambler American. I had a "How to Turbocharge" manual that explained how to size and install turbo's. It was my bible for this project. You have to purchase a turbo with both the compressor and turbine sides sized correctly for the engine displacement and pressure that you desire. My engine was carbureted which made my conversion a bit easier but you still have to build/modify intake and exhaust manifolds to adapt the turbo to the engine.

With fuel injection and depending on how much you want to boost, you may have to go to larger injectors. You would have to remap the ECU to get the injector metering matched to the engine requirements. Even with lower levels of boost you will probably still have to remap the stock injectors in the ECU..

Turbo's require a different ignition curve and pressure retard rather than vacuum advance so the ignition will also require work in the ECU.

I made some "before and after" runs at the local drag strip.There was a Ying and Yang to my install.

The Ying was that pure stock the "Street Ram" went 18.60 at 72 mph (3 speed and stock 3.55 open rear axle) and finally went 13.90 at 104 mph (4 speed and 3.91 sure grip rear axle). Using a vehicle weight / trap speed calculator my car stock produced 75 rear wheel horsepower and it ultimately produced 228 rear wheel horsepower. Except for wide oval tires, it looked stock and was a real sleeper.

The yang was that I broke motor mounts, clutches, transmissions, sides and spiders in the rear end and several axles due to the extra horsepower. I replaced the 9" clutch with a 10 1/2" clutch, the 3 speed was replaced with Muncie M22 4 speed and the rear end was replaced with a heavy duty 3.91 sure-grip rear end with traction bars. This was before intercoolers were commonplace and since the turbo produced 15 psi of boost, I also had to build an alcohol/water injection system to prevent detonation. It was a very fast car that still had drum brakes so it went much better than it stopped.

Breaking anything in the Prius drivetrain would be a bigger expense/problem that it would be on a conventional car.

You may find fewer problems and more room to install nitrous for the occasional short burst of extra power.

This picture is not my car but the same color. Mine had red line wide ovals.

67 American.jpg

Gandolf989 and Raytheeagle like this.
  10. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I had a 66 Chevelle SS with a 454 four speed and never lost a race....

11. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Or passed a gas pump.

Gandolf989 and Raytheeagle like this.
  12. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Used to burn three tanks a night..... pure fun....but gas was cheap in 1973...... sure wish I had that car now...... I didn't purchase a prius just for the mpg...I just wanted one...got it cheap......but wouldn't do it again...

13. Ronald Doles

Ronald Doles Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Did you instal the 454 yourself? I know they weren't a factory option until 1970. A friend had a 66 Chevelle 396/375 that was a beast.

14. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The 66 was originally a 396/360hp..... bought it with a blown motor.....dropped in the 454 with 750 Holley.... never got beat...had people coming for miles trying to shut down the big 454.... the sound of a big block is magical....and intoxicating...... now I'm reduced to a previa, camry, prius and a goldwing.... the GL1800 does run pretty good with ECU flashed...headers and high flow mufflers... but still nothing like the RAT 454.....

#34 Tim Jones, Aug 31, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
  15. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited

Start saving for that hearing aid. I had my fun but loud cars and radios (not to mention the inside of a firing gun mount) eventually did me in. Those things are only guaranteed by the maker for a certain number of cycles.

16. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    What?

Air_Boss likes this.
  17. Gandolf989

Gandolf989 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I had a '69 Delta 88 with a 454. It was fast. I got plenty of tickets in New Jersey. But I needed to keep a case of oil in the trunk so that I could keep it full of oil. The front end bounced up and down on the highway. It cornered like a barge. and it was a bad idea to drive it in the rain because the brakes only worked when they were dry. But yea, it went fast, scary fast.

Tim Jones likes this.
  18. christian cox

christian cox Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    so what did you wind up doing? Did you switch back to the gen 3 engine? I just did a swap and not working out too well for me. It turns over for a few seconds then stops. It sounds like a good engine but no go. I get a cam sensor code. I can’t understand why though. The same cam sensor was in the original engine with 0 issues.

19. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I replaced all of the valves, springs, and hardware from the Gen 3 head with the corresponding parts from the Gen 4 head and every issue was solved. I drove the car from July 2018 until just a few weeks ago when I sold it for more then the monetary investment I had in the purchase of the car and the purchase of the Gen 4 donor engine.

20. christian cox

christian cox Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Ok so you took the head off the gen 3- took the guts out of it and then used all the gen 4 parts to replace what you took out of the gen 3 head ?? That makes me wonder why that would work. Gen 3 head with gen 4 parts?? The code I keep getting is for the cam sensor so by using the same cam from gen 4 I would think my problem would persist?? IDK :(. And the short block was the gen 4 ? Could It be that the placement of the parts logistically is what makes it work. Also didn’t the head gasket seem different? I thought the water jackets were different?

#40 christian cox, Apr 17, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2022