1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Turbo Diesel SUV 50mpg

Discussion in 'Diesels' started by problemchild, Jun 8, 2008.

1. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    50 mpg from a medium sized SUV

Diesel is so much better then gas. Its not even a hybrid car and its a 4x4 to boot

[​IMG]

This week he did it again when attempting the 1400km trip from Adelaide to Sydney without refuelling the car’s standard 75 litre tank. Tholstrup arrived in Sydney still with a quarter of a tank of gas so he pressed on north, eventually finishing in Port Macquarie, 1776.6 kilometres from the start. The Hyundai Santa Fe CRDi Turbo-Diesel he was driving averaged 4.67 litres/100km (50.4 mpg), an astoundingly frugal figure for a 1.9 tonne, medium-sized AWD SUV which can seat seven.

2. jammin012

jammin012 The man behind The Man

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    cool, and when is it coming to America? Never. How high are diesel prices, $5+

3. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    So whats your point? Make that a hybrid and it would get 75mpg. Making that 5/gallon mean nada.

I would still buy a 4x4 that gets 50+mpg. Its soooooooooo much more useful then the slip and die prius. And if you think we are not going to see some HIGH mpg diesels next year think again. This car is twice as heavy as the prius, all wheel drive, a non hybrid and not so aerodynamic and it matches the prius mpg.

4. xsmatt81

xsmatt81 non-AARP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    its a hyundai? I have bad taste in my mouth from hyundai

5. jammin012

jammin012 The man behind The Man

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you NEED a 4x4 then by all means, but most people don't . You know how many lifted 4x4's, duelies and PowerStrokes I see drving to work?

Off topic, I appologize for that.

How many diesel SUV's are sold here? None. How many will be sold here? None. So hey, great I love it, a turbo diesel gets 50mpg, wonderful. But once again proving the technology is out there, we just don't want to play.

We want big and bad and mad hoursepower and crazy torque, for what? So we can look cool driving to work.

Look, I'll never tow my boat with my Prius, that's why I have a truck. I'll never drive my truck to work, that's why I have a Prius. And there's no way in hell I'll ever own a diesel, at least until I make my own.

6. GatorJZ

GatorJZ Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid

Wrong. Volkswagen Toureg, Jeep Liberty, Mercedes Benz ML320 CDI, GL320 CDI and R320 CDI. That's five. There will be more.

7. chogan2

chogan2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Read the story correctly. One guy got 50 MPG on one mostly highway trip. The mileage was calculated ... how, exactly? "The figure is based on the tank’s actual capacity of 83.15 litres, achievable with very patient pumping." Whatever that means. Then there's this: "They make more sense than high-priced electric/petrol hybrids which still have costly and unresolved battery replacement and disposal issues.” Ah, and by the way, the underlying information came from a Hyundai press release.

The NZ gov't fuel economy site lists several Hyundai Santa Fe diesels, the best of which gets a little under 33 MPG (when converted from SI units), based on their drive cycle. The same site lists the Prius as the equivalent of 53 MPG. Knock both figures down to match the US EPA Prius number (46) and you would expect about 29 MPG out of the Hyundai, based on the US EPA driving cycle. That's very good by current standards (see below), but it's not better than a Prius.

fuel$aver.govt.nz

For confirmation, this UK site lists the Hyundai Santa Fe diesel at 38.7 MPG. Converting from imperial to US gallons yields yields 32 mpg.

Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRTD Diesel : HEART AND SEOUL - Yahoo! Cars

The US fuel economy site (Fuel Economy) lists three manufacturers' SUVs running on diesel: Mercedes, Jeep Grand Cherokee, and the Toureg. The mileages are shown at 20 to 21 for the Mercedes models, 20 for the Jeep, 17 for the VW. For 2009, the new VW Jetta diesel is listed at 34 mpg overall.

8. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

Pretty good, but on the same energy/gallon basis Wayne's recent Chicago to NYC run would net 80.23 mpg in a Prius (Diesel has 113% the energy content of gasoline). This compares apparent hypermiler to hypermiler efforts , and energy to energy in the two vehicles, both on long highway trips.

9. ForTheGlory

ForTheGlory New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Always nice to compare apples to apples: the best mileage that SUV can possibly get is around 50 mpg, while most people average around 50 mpg in the Prius. I wonder how the emissions compare.

Maybe you should be comparing it to the Toyota Highlander Hybrid instead. In that comparison you can probably argue that the Hyundai is a better choice.

I'm sure that the SUV is significantly more expensive than a Prius. I have no need to tow or haul anything, so I'd be paying more $$$ for unnecessary capability.

Further, you say that we'll see SUV's like this in America next year, based on the "great news" of this hypermiling trip. Do you realize the article you posted is dated December 12, 2006?

10. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi FTG,

I doubt your going to tow much in that Hyundai. The stock US engine for it is a 2.4 liter gasoline. Which is the same size as a base Camry. And this vehicle has the 2.2 liter diesel, right?

Its really not a tow vehicle. Its a dirt road vehicle.

The Highlander has a V6, plus the hybrid drive, for a total performance near that of a small V8. So, it wont do well in mileage in comparison. A better choice to trial might be the Ford Escape Hybrid. Still, the Ford has the same size range engine as the Hyundai Diesel, so its still not a proper comparison of hybrid to diesel. But closer. For a proper comparison the Hybrid would need to be down aroun 1.8 liters, for the same total power.

11. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    But I do most of my driving in the city and I don't have good old Hans Tholstrup, who for the benefit of our non Aussie friends in a mileage master, to drive me around.
    The car has a rated fuel consumption of 7.3L/100km in manual and 8.1L/100km in auto form so I wonder what Hans could have achieved with a Prius?
    I spent some time driving my Prius at 80 to 90km/h on a recent trip and I got better than 60mpg on much cheaper than diesel petrol. I don't need to carry 7 people so for me the only advantage this vehicle has over my Prius is it can tow a small trailer.

The article speaks about the unresolved battery replacement and disposal issues with a hybrid, could it be unresolved because it hasn't needed to be resolved since hybrids came out 10 years ago? That is no or very few battery replacements.

Also I have a Prius which averages better than 60mpg UK. I don't need another car right now so what is your point Problemchild, and why are you here?

12. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can exceed 40mpg hypermiling my Highlander Hybrid and it'll tow what...3500lbs, seat 7 and is a lot better vehicle than that thing.

I don't think there's a lot of value posting a single hypermiler's experience and suggesting that that makes the vehicle something special is really not fair. I can get 72mpg in the Prius...should we suggest that's what anyone else can get in the real world?

Real world, apples to apples driving I'll take the features, reliability, comfort, towing capacity, power, lower emissions and styling of my Highlander Hybrid over the Hyundai....and I bet my real world FE is as good or better.

13. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually in base model manual trim it comes in about the same as a Prius here.
    $36,990 manual and $39,490 auto for the SX trim up to $43,490 for auto SLX auto and $48,990 for the Elite auto.
    Prius sells for $37,400 base and $46,600 for iTech here in Australia.

What you would be getting is a Hyundai not a Toyota.

The Hyundai i30 Diesel would have made a interesting comparison, the i30 is rated 4.7L/100km manual and 6.0L/100km auto which is closer to the Prius in a slightly smaller size car at $21,500 to $28,000 which is a lot cheaper than Prius. However it's still a Hyundai and diesel is still more expensive than petrol.
    Even with the i30, 42 litres will take me 63km less distance and cost me over $11.00 more money over my Prius. Bugger that!!

14. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Evan, you don't have to get better mileage, even if you equal you're in front due to the high price of diesel. Diesel here is 25 to 27 cents per litre more expensive than unleaded. That is, on a 60 litre fill up for both vehicles you would be $15 to $16.20 better off at the cash register.

The Santa Fe will tow 4400lbs if the trailer has brakes.
    Santa Fe

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    *moved to Other Cars*