1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Turkey caller rear breaks

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Blinkz, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Blinkz

Blinkz New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I need to pick some people's brains on what the problem I am having. A few months ago I changed out my suspension because my tires were worn out and cupping. Probably a good idea at 120k miles.

While finishing up I decided to replace my rear drum breaks. I changed out the shoes, springs, and put on new drums. Soon after I noticed that when breaking and slowing down while holding the breaks I would hear creaking noises in the back. It sounds almost like a turkey caller until the car comes to a complete stop. Luckily it isn't too loud but I can hear inside the car.

Initially I thought I had the brakes adjusted too far. So I reset the adjuster and followed Hobbits article about pumping the breaks slowly and listening for the adjuster to calibrate the rear brakes. I heard the adjuster click several times in the back and stop. Things seemed pretty good for several days and then the noise came back!

I have no idea what is generating this noise because all the hardware is new. I recently replaced my front brakes too so it can't be worn brakes. I also greased all the sliders and appropriate parts. And I used the neutral trick to scrape off any rust that may had built up around the breaks.

My car is a base 2008 Prius.

Let me know if anyone has any other ideas.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sorry, no ideas.

Are the brake parts oem?