1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Turn-by-turn in Prime better than Google Maps!

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by Lee Jay, Jun 1, 2017.

1. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I'm a google maps believer and have been for a long time. Remember, you *can* download map sections in the app for offline use (although it can be a bit cumbersome). You can also create a google 'mymap' and have it display on your phone ( I have posted example mymaps frequently ). Also, if you save map locations on your google account, those 'starred' saved locations show up in an offline map.

I have used offline (downloaded) google maps plus custom 'mymaps' for three long road trips so far and it has never let me down. Many of the areas we visited had no cellular data and it worked great!

I do really like Waze...but you are SOL if you get into an area without data. Hopefully they will add offline map capability at some point.

With that being said...I do like running the in-car maps as a zoomed out 'overview' of where we are at. I'll also admit I have no idea how the maps are in the new models. If they really are that good..then great! best of both worlds.