1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

turn left, foot off gas, red triangle comes on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by SBP Mike, May 12, 2021.

1. SBP Mike

SBP Mike Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    like title says, I turn to the left and take my foot off the gas and as car slows and leans into the left turn, the red triangle pops up, then goes off as I exit turn, straighten wheel and put foot back on accelerator. I don't have to touch the brake pedal to make this happen.

What could this be? Motor mounts letting thing shift around too much? Some kind of back pressure issue? But it doesn't happen on a right hand turn.

Thanks for any ideas

Mike

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how is oil level?

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    certainly sounds like the typical Gen 2 indications of low oil level..............

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    certainly sounds like the typical Gen 2 indications of low oil level..............

6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yup! Pretty sure it's low oil. Something tells me it's long past time to check the oil. :rolleyes:

7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's called "suddenly using oil."

A very brief search in this (or the G3) forum will have details.

Buy some oil and check the level before you drive the car again.

8. SBP Mike

SBP Mike Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was thinking about and looking for a more exotic and expensive course of action, but yup, checked the oil and it was low. Let's give that a try.
    Thanks

9. SBP Mike

SBP Mike Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    wife's car? anybody buying that story?

10. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes......unfortunately....lol and here's why....

My wife has a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe LX with a 3.5L. We purchased it in Nov 2019 with relatively low miles and in pretty darn good shape. Had just had a oil change done the previous week by the previous owner when the PO's grand parents offered to give them a small Audi SUV they no longer used or needed. The price was hard to pass up.

My wife decided to lend her car (swap cars actually) to a friend who's going out of state for a couple weeks, starting today. We took our friend and some others to lunch today. We used wife's car to meet everyone at restaurant. When we got home, I decided to change the oil and go through the car real quick to make sure there wouldn't be any problems. Pulled the dipstick.....one drop of oil on the end of the dipstick. Literally, about 1 mm of oil on the dipstick with a small drop hanging off. Geez. Thought it was odd that I didn't have any 10w-30 or filters in the garage for her car, so topped it off with some 5w-30 and drove down to Wally world to get some 10w-30 synthetic and filters to stock up. Get back home, pull it into garage and drain it. Pull the filter and holy crap, I've never used that brand in my life. "Mighty" brand. wth? This was from the previous owners oil change from Nov 2019!! Almost 18K miles ago!!!!!

I hang my head in shame.......and at the same time, stand amazed that the car even had a drop on the dipstick after 18k miles.

I'm not sure how her car slipped through the cracks, as I take care of a handful of Gen 2s and I'm very 'scheduled' in regard to inspecting and maintaining them....I'll just blame it on our different schedules.

jerrymildred and davecook89t like this.
  11. SBP Mike

SBP Mike Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    better now

Raytheeagle and jerrymildred like this.