1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Turn my Black Prius into a Silver Pine Mica!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by McDonald, Jun 24, 2008.

1. blamy

blamy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You say youdidn't pay sticker price so your ahead of the game to start with. Take your original sticker price and add a thousand to it and put a for sale sign on it. The person who would buy it pays you and you pay the bank. As soon as the check or whatever clears (cash is easier but do the transaction at YOUR bank) you sign over the title to the new owner and give him possesion at that time. Find a SPM with the package you want and fly there if necessary (if you can't wait) and buy it and drive it back OR order one from the dealer of your choice and use the bus till it arrives. With only 2000 miles it is pretty much still new and you can get top dollar from people who just can't or will not wait for theirs to come in. Trading with a dealer is going to be a losing proposition for you. They will not lose on either car and you can take that to the bank. You have NO equity at this point so really think hard about the sale. There is always the option to hire a lawyer to handle the transaction for you.

2. McDonald

McDonald New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Don't get me wrong, I do like the black exterior. It's classy and sexy, and it will re-sell well, etc. But I've never loved a car more than the Prius, and I don't want to trade in every few years or get a new car anytime soon. I want this Prius4ever (get it, ha!). And if I'm going to have this car, I want it the way I want it (and the way my boyfriend wants it to, he prefers the SPM too). The black gets so hot, I am constantly cleaning it, it's too common around here, but mostly I just want that dream car. And for me, that's a SPM Prius that I will eventually convert to a plug-in.

3. McDonald

McDonald New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for your info. I just needed to know how to do it. Not sure about what you mean by pay the bank? I don't owe anything on the car, I paid cash to the dealer. You mean just deposit it to my account to make sure it clears, etc. I'm not paying the bank anything, right? I think I'd list it on Vehix.com or something.

4. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When you get a buyer for your car, take the title and you and the buyer go down to the local License bureau, and you sign the title over.
    It's not hard to sell a car. :)

I agree, if the buyer gives you anything but cash, deposit it and wait until it clears before the buyer gets the title.

5. ctbering

ctbering Rambling Man

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have a 2008 Silver Pine Mica yet I strongly agree with this post. Stay with the black. It's a beautiful color like all of the colors for Prius and at night especially, it can be incredible at times.
    I had a black Honda Civic EX and it was an awesome color. If you want SPM, and I love it, get a new Prius that is factory painted from Toyota, otherwise you will always be driving a black Prius painted Silver Pine Mica. That is my humble opinion.

6. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    hmmmm. young lady has the where withal to pay cash for a Prius, so she has a lot of equity in it. If she sells it she can get a new 09 in SPM and probably owe little or nothing on it too.

You go girl! Your local bank can help you sell it easily. If you have a credit union they will almost do it for you! Just be sure to get a good price for it and dont be beaten down to a better price for the buyer. The car is hot. It will be hot for a long time to come and 100000 people would buy it if they just knew about it!

I hope you get the dream car you want. What will you name her?

7. Prius4ever

Prius4ever New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ah...in light of this new information that you want your "Prius4ever", I can completely understand and have changed my mind. Also, these facts are in your favor: 1) You paid cash. 2) You paid under MSRP 3) The high demand for Priuses. 4) Low mileage of the car.

The only negative is the length of time it would take to get a replacement in your color.

One thing that concerns me is the boyfriend part. He's not pressuring you into the SPM is he? Actually, a woman who can pay cash for her car can probably handle a persuasive b.f. I also understand the heat and a black car living in So. Cal, but Boston? Do you have a long, intense heat period?

Nonetheless, I think you should try the dealer first before selling it yourself. At least that way you might have some leverage in getting a replacement sooner.

Good luck!

8. McDonald

McDonald New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for the input! I must seem clueless to some, but I was born in 87 okay! I went into this post not knowing anything about a car sale, but I am feeling more confident about it now. Think I will do it!

9. LittlePinkSequin

LittlePinkSequin New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If you paid cash for it, then that's great - sell 'er for a profit. We've sold a car before; it's not difficult. Google it - you will find all the rules & forms for your state. Just make sure the person gives you a cashier's check(s) from their bank. This means the money is coming from a bank and not directly from the buyer, so you know it's 'good.' You don't have to worry about it clearing, per se.

10. McDonald

McDonald New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ah, I did not even think about having some leverage by doing it through the dealer. That makes me rethink everything doesn't it!

And no, he's not pressuring me, ha! The summer heat <i>is</i> quite bad in Boston actually, but I am actually from California and hoping to go back (or maybe to Austin), so I am concerned about heat and dirt.

11. KandyRedCoi

KandyRedCoi S is for Super!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    +1 of flipping your black for the SPM, the fact that someone will probably jump on your used car for the price of new is just awesome

only downside is the waiting period and of course if you can find a dealer that will sell you the trim you want at or below sticker

-good luck and keep us posted

12. McDonald

McDonald New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The wait is not so much an issue I guess. I bike to school and to work and having a car is more of a vehicle to go camping, bring my dog to agility shows, visit the family, etc. More of a recreational thing, does that make sense?

13. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I took the liberty of checking out your blogs Kelly! You are a cute kid! When did you go from blonde to black hair? (they both look good on ya) In music school also! Pianist or other?

and This Carlos character dear. Way too many tats!! (grin)

Nice Prius sized pooch also. My wife puts an 80 lb Greyhound in her's! (still fits) Its nice to put faces to the car.

Hope you get the SPM!

14. McDonald

McDonald New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ha ha, Carlo is a dreamboat. We both have tattoos (probably too many in a lot of people's view). And our dog is the best and the center of our (or possibly the) universe!

I love greyhounds, I have fostered a few! Our Chihuahua is a rescue, yours?

And yes I go to Berklee, I am a dual major in Music Business and Sound Production Engineering. I am a singer, pianist, and guitar player, but I also compose/arrange and conduct.

15. Prius4ever

Prius4ever New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hey Sheepdog, Your wife puts a "Greyhound" and not a "Sheepdog", in hers? (Ha, ha, ha...I know pretty lame.)

Seriously now Sheepdog, thanks for the "heads up" on MacDonald's blogs/photos. I have to agree with you about the tat's. Wow! Does he like tatoos or what?

MacDonald...really great photos! Never stop talking photos and so cool you share them. My regrets in life...1) I didn't pay cash for my Prius and 2) I have not been a photo bug all of these years.:heh:

16. KandyRedCoi

KandyRedCoi S is for Super!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    if the car is just for recreation, then the wait time is not an issue...see what your local dealer can do as far the SPM in your preferred trim then u would know if you can flip your car at the same time

17. McDonald

McDonald New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ha, stop picking on him! Na, you're entitled to your opinions!

Thanks for the props. I started taking photos a little while ago, I look at them every day to remind me of the fun I've had. And I know that in 5 or 10 years, or who knows 50(?) I'll be happy to have documented my life. And I did the Prius blog because I know that I can put into words how the Prius has changed my life, and maybe how it's features and abilities would shock the people who think they need an SUV or a non-hybrid. It's only in it's early days now, but I plan to do modifications including roof rack and hood deflector and maybe a SPM trade-in and a plug-in conversion.

18. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes Kelly, Java (black dog) aka "booger" more commonly known to the wife as "spastic-hound" is a retired racer. I would post a pic but that pic hosting web site is blocked here at work. We had two retired racers but Mocha died last year of cancer. She was the perfect greyhound companion.

You should compose some Prius music!

19. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Have you done your research on plug in? A Hymotion will probably cost you $10,000 or more.

Right now there is a premium on Prii. You could probably get more than what you paid if you advertised on Craig'slist or some other means for someone that just doesn't want to wait. You'll need to know exactly what package you have and what they're going for at the local dealers.

Don't sign the title over until you have the cash in the bank or the check clears. I didn't do a private sale on a car until I was in my 40s. But it's really easy.

If you want SPM forever, fine. But you'll probably only have it until Toyota makes a plug-in Prius, then you'll want one of those. You'll just have to pick from whatever choice of colors those will be. (I'm hoping they'll be a dark blue....that's what I want). Then....someday you'll be getting an EV. Because once you drive a Prius, you eventually want a pure EV.

You'll probably go through several boyfriends during the life of your Prius, so what he wants shouldn't have any part of your decision.

(And it's not the color, it's the glass that's causing your heat problem. Get your windows tinted as much as Mass. allows. )

20. McDonald

McDonald New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I do want an EV, but I'm not sure how long I will have to wait for one. Once EV's are available the cost of conversion will go down. I know that SPM is not being continued as a color after 2009.

Hmm, the boyfriend is a keeper. And what he wants happens to be what I want as well, and considering it is both of our car's, he does have a say. We both want the SPM instead of the black.

And color of car AND windows contribute to the heat of the car, as far as what I have read. I don't like tinted windows. The LRV for white and black are that white reflects 80% of visible sunlight, and black reflects only 5%. Regardless of the color of the interior or window tint, the car with the darker paint job will have the higher temperature.