1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Turn Off Backup Beeper?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Raptorjak, Nov 27, 2003.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    yes... obey the laws and wear the damn thing!!

here in WA St the seatbelt law has become a primary offense. iow, they can pull you over for not wearing your seatbelt and ticket you, even if you have violated no other laws.

violation of privacy?? ya... whatever. as far as im concerned, if you are breaking the law, you give up your right to privacy.

grow pot in your basement, go to jail PERIOD. i dont give a damn if your right to privacy is violated or not.

ok that should get a response...

however, i believe that it is your right to smoke pot or possess an amount that is used for personal recreation.

2. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Wear the seatbelt and you won't hear the warning. :mrgreen:

3. StuartS

StuartS Guest

Disabling the Bleeper

Picked up my new car on Friday and already it's driving me nuts, as well as the reverse alarm, everytime I touch any screen-based control the damn thing bleeps. I don't need to be told I've just changed radio stations. I tried to disable it using your instructions without sucess, the ODO display doesn't change to bleeper on/off at step 7. Does anybody know if Toyota have modified UK cars? The dealer couldn't help.

Any suggestions?

StuartS

4. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    For the backup beeper, have you tried switching the units from km/h to MPH, then do the posted procedure? It might make a difference.

For the screen beeps, no one has figured that one out yet. As soon as someone does, there will be a lot of happy Prius owners.

5. tms13

tms13 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    I haven't been able to disable the reverse bleeper in my UK-model Prius. Haven't tried doing it in km/h mode, though.

As to the touch screen bleeps, I don't think they can be disabled. I wouldn't mind them if they weren't so flippin' LOUD!

6. kam

kam New Member

I doubt that the km/h vs mph will change anything. I didn't have any problems turning it off when set to km/h.

7. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

i used evan's instructions to turn off my backup beeper, worked like a charm! thanks, evan!

8. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't care if you use a seat belt or a helmet on your bike. I do object if I have to pay for your injury. Do what you want when you run out of money and insurance benefits you should be dumped out on the street! I will however nominate you for the Darwin award. I think people have the right to be stupid but they must suffer the consequences for their actions.

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That position would be a bit more tenable if:

1. The laws made any sense. (Most of them don't.) And if

2. Enforcement was unbiased. (Which it's not: enforcement is directed almost exclusively against the underclass.)

If everybody who has broken a law could be magically found, convicted, and jailed for it, there would be nobody left to work in our factories, manage our businesses, or provide the services we depend on. On the positive side, the White House and the halls of Congress would be deserted.

10. myride

myride Junior Member

reverse beeper in vehicle

I have used the steps outlined by a few authors on the website to try to access the reverse beeper function. after revising it to include changing it to kph instead of mph it still did not work. i noticed that the ICE was coming on about the time i was putting the gear selector in reverse and decided to wait for it to go off. After it turned off i completed step 6 and sure enough it finally showed the "b on" omg i found it ..... might try both switching the mhp/kph a few times and then waiting for the engine to shut off before performing step 6. worked for me

11. chris_wass

chris_wass New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know why I had lived with that terrible beep for so long and didn't look in the silly manual! I had even kind of gotten used to it. Thanks to priuspostus and htmlspinnr! No more beep! The directions worked great for me. :)

12. iglen

iglen New Member

also in UK, unable to disable reverse or seatbelt beepers

Like TMS13, try as I might, I have been unable to disable either the reverse beeper or the seatbelt beeper on my one month old TP. I've tried doing it with ICE on/off; brake pedal depressed/not; door open/shut, but without any success. Simply cannot get the display to indicate "b on" or "b off" and am at a loss. Has anyone in the UK actually managed to do this? has anyone any idea as to how or why it might work differently for RHD v LHD vehicles?

13. Batavier

Batavier Member

According to the European Yahoo groups one cannot turn off the reverse beeper on European models. I was able to turn off the seat belt beeper however.

Try this link under 'Files'.

By the way: I always wear my seatbelt, but was just curious if it would work. :D

14. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    After driving the car for 2 weeks with the beeper just to see if it was ok I turned it off. I wish it was audible outside the car and I guess some need it. My thinking was to leave it on until the shifting thing was automatic for me. I still do not understand why you have to go through this mickey mouse procedure to do this. All these optional settings should be on the screen. It is a waste of a effective input to what is a computerized system anyway. I know I should not let stuff like this irritate me but they do. :x . I feel better now.

15. Batavier

Batavier Member

Amen to that! We need more options to change settings of the car!! :D

16. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well apparently you can download the maintenance manual from toyota's website for 10$ a day. i would think that that book would detail access to all settings that can be changed by the mechanic OR someone who had access to this manual.

i have often thought about doing so, but with a dialup connection, i dont feel as if i am the best candidate to be doing this. if anyone would care to do this who had broad band, i would gladly share the cost with him.

17. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    There is quite a bit that can be customized, but most changes require a mini-scanner type device. Some things can be accomplished w/o - such as disabling the backup beeper, seatbelt beeper, re-calibrating the gas gauge leveling compensation (done on a flat surface), maintenance light, as well as a few others.

The manual is a good read though if you have LOTS of time :)

18. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  19. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius\";p=\"40520)</div>
    That's very cool...I'd love to have that in the Prius, esp. b/c I often back up in EV mode...but I didn't see one listed for the Prius. Do you know if there is one that fits?

20. Batavier

Batavier Member

Amazingly simple idea. Would be great to have it on my Prius as well.