1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Turn off key sensing for long term non use?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by krausternet, Oct 12, 2021.

1. krausternet

krausternet Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Prius 2013 Gen3 Level 3
    Somewhere I read a tip that it is possible to turn off the key sensing that the car is doing which helps to not run down the battery when leaving the car unused for weeks or months. I think they were talking about a switch below the dashboard and this was on older models. I did not pay much attention to the details at the time so I may be wrong about that.
    But now I am thinking that it would be good to do on my Gen3. And looking in the manual I don't see anything about a switch to do that. In the manual, page 73:

"If the smart key system has not been used for 14 days or longer, the doors cannot be unlocked at any doors except the driver's door. In this case, take hold of the driver's door handle, or use the wireless remote control of the mechanical key to unlock the doors."

Does this function at 14 days save the car battery life? Is there a different way to actually turn off the sensing and save the car battery life while I let the car sit for a month or two? (of course I could just disconnect the battery, but that comes with its own problems getting back there with the doors locked.)

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For 2012+, this SKS shutoff is not a physical switch, but a menu choice on the display screen. Instead of the regular Owner's Manual, look in the separate Display Audio System Owner's Manual.

For my 2012 Three, it is under [5] SETUP -> (8) Vehicle Settings, page 117, one of the many choices is "Key System with Elec Key". Your 2013 ought to be similar.

3. krausternet

krausternet Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the pointer. I found the setting. "Key System with Elec. Key" I changed it to Off.

ksnip_20211014-194041.png

But what exactly does it do?

ksnip_20211014-194041.png

Attached Files:

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe it turns off the SKS, Smart Key System, which is a constant drain on the battery.

From there, my memory from using it for a long absence long ago, fades. Friendliest case, just the walk-up key fob proximity detection is shut off, so you can still use the lock and unlock buttons on the fob. Worst case, both that and the interior fob detection are shut off. If so, then you'd need to use the mechanical key to unlock a locked car, then the dead-fob-battery procedure to start the car (press brake to wake up the car's electronics, then hold fob to power button for RFID read, then manually press power button).

If no one else pops up with a more definitive answer, then you may need to try it and test these steps.