1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Turn off the damn backup beep

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by alanvw, Dec 10, 2011.

1. wegortw

wegortw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Dave, did the Soliport ELM 327 work for you? I am about to buy it.

2. Vinoh

Vinoh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yes, it works fine for viewing various stats. However, I didn't try to program the backup beep since my dealer ended up turning it off at no charge since they had to hook up the diagnostic interface anyway.

--Dave

DogDaze likes this.
  3. sdupadhye

sdupadhye Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I registered only so that I can thank you GARYP, for these steps.THANK YOU!!

My actual returned values were a wee bit different but did as expected. As everyone else, I hated the reverse Beep. The dealer asked to fork out $245, to which I declined. Your procedure worked like a charm! Just for Reference, here's the BT OBD adapter I bought. (Search Ebay for 261251662476)

Yes I know I also had the option of getting the Custom PIDs from the other thread. Although I did get them, they only Queried Current State and not actually change it.

For those without Android or not wanting to try the process, Autozone Does indeed allows you to borrow SCANGAUGE II while on the premises. Some stores may charge you Rent for it. Either way you and your prius needs to be in the Store lot.

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    iirc, you folks just now monkeying with backup beep disabling for the 1st time are in for a treet. When it comes time to discount/reconnect your 12v auxiliary battery (for replacement or other maintenance )- you'll find your annoying alarm has returned. Different services may require 12v disconnects, so make sure you check that the alarm has been re-disabled prior to signing off, on your service/work order.
    ;)

DogDaze likes this.
  5. sdupadhye

sdupadhye Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You are so full of Cheer ! :(
    Yes Thanks for the head's up. Will keep in mind.

DogDaze likes this.
  6. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You're both right. The 2004 loses the backup beep setting when the battery is disconnected. The 2012 doesn't.

DogDaze likes this.
  7. thenapolitan

thenapolitan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Worked with my 2012 Prius Plug-in Base! :)

DogDaze likes this.
  8. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd like to have it disabled entirely, NO BEEPS. Personally, I find the backup camera an additional distraction, but no biggie. I'd love to find where the beeper is and end its life ;)

9. dcgoo

dcgoo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III

There is no dedicated beeper. All sounds the vehicle makes, even down to the turn signal clicker, are produced by the computer and fed into the audio system. Usually just through the speaker nearest the driver.

DogDaze likes this.
  10. SuperGLS

SuperGLS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Since our Two had been converted to one beep on backup I totally forgot about the normal incessant beeping while in reverse when buying my Four.

Have to make a trip back to the service dept, I'm not sure I can deal with it until the first oil change.

DogDaze likes this.
  11. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's incredibly annoying to the point of damage. I'm heading to the dealer early.

DogDaze likes this.
  12. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The beeper is part of the speedometer assembly. It's soldered onto a circuit board.

DogDaze likes this.
  13. blisterpeanuts

blisterpeanuts Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I got a BAFX ODBii gadget from Amazon; it wasn't the cheapest but it was highly rated by the reviewers.
    Next I downloaded the Torque (free) app for my Galaxy Nexus android phone. It doesn't seem to have a way to send commands to the car, so I tried the ELM 327 app but couldn't get it to work. Finally I got the OBD Car Doctor app which has a console feature to send commands.
    I followed the instructions at Programming a Prius to Disable the Backup Beep » Dogberry Patch
    and presto! a single beep followed by blessed silence.

I actually don't mind the continuous beeping most of the time, but when I'm on the bluetooth phone and waiting for a car to pass so I can back up, or trying to hear the GPS instructions while backing up, or someone else in the car is talking, it's a damn nuisance. It would be nice if Toyota added this to the setup screen, but I doubt they'll ever do that.

Now I'm looking forward, sort of, to the car having a warning light, so I can download the log and find out what's wrong before I even take it in to the dealer! But I hope that's a long time from now; the car's only 4 months old :)

DogDaze likes this.
  14. Greg Kazian

Greg Kazian Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Used the ELM OBD to turn it to one beep

DogDaze likes this.
  15. SuperGLS

SuperGLS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Though I don't have a v I'm happy to report that my dealer set me up to one beep earlier today and I didn't even have any other service scheduled. Free and in and out in 20 minutes (they also removed the a dealer sticker that I somehow overlooked in my excitement to buy the car.)

DogDaze likes this.
  16. redpriusv

redpriusv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I too am down to 1 beep, which I don't mind at all. Had to push a little bit, but got my dealer to do this post-sale at no charge. First service adviser didn't know that it could be done, but talked to a tech and confirmed it was possible.

DogDaze likes this.
  17. kramflar

kramflar New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    GaryP. You are a star!
    I have hunted around trying to find the steps to turn off my reversing beeper in my UK 2013 Prius.
    I followed your steps and it worked - and my sanity has returned.
    Why would anyone put such a distracting awful noise inside a car?
    Thank you so much for the clear steps.
    Mark

DogDaze likes this.
  18. BreakingPrius

BreakingPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    I didn't know such a thing existed...nice

DogDaze likes this.
  19. Jason in OZ

Jason in OZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Just bought a SG2 for my 2006 prius, not specifically for the reverse beeper disable, but... Does this also work for the G2 prius ?

I too would love to get rid of the continual beeping.
    One beep is more than enough.

Jason.

DogDaze likes this.
  20. OzPrius

OzPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Jason when take your gen 2 into a toyota dealer for a service ask them then and they are happy to disable it. I had mine done 2 months ago and it now beeps once. The Prius went from good to great.
    Peter.

DogDaze likes this.