1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

turn signals weren't working ... and now they work again

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jonathan Epstein, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Jonathan Epstein

Jonathan Epstein Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    (new member here, longtime lurker)

I had a strange experience this week. Monday afternoon I discovered that my turn signals and 4-way flashers weren't working. I booked a repair appt at my Toyota dealer for Friday.

Wednesday evening I had to make a very sharp turn (270 degrees, roughly) and then discovered that my signals were working again. So I canceled my repair appt; the dealer speculates that there's a short circuit somewhere, which certainly sounds reasonable. They agree that there's no point in bringing the car in now, since the short will be hard to find when things are working.

If it turns out to be a failed component such as the flasher relay, then that would probably be covered by my extended warranty, if I have it repaired before July.

This sort of car problem seems to be rare; I only found a single instance of this when Googling, and it's not even for a Toyota. I'm a new member here and can't post a link, but Googling "turn Signals fail to work intermitently sprinter 2007" might lead you to the same thread.

Has anyone in PriusChat-land seen this problem? Do you think it's a short circuit, or something else?

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The turn signals are quite standard circuitry, so the options are the relay, the switch in the steering column, and the wires between them. Since the steering was part of the scenario, I might expect the steering column. But intermittents are very difficult until they become more prevalent. There is not much of a run between the steering column and the flasher relay (which is just below in the Body ECU), so unless it has been munched by rodents somewhere in the dash, it is not a likely place for a rub.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'd say that either the combination switch (which is the name for the turn signal/dimmer switch lever assembly) has failed or that its connection is loose. Since it started working again after substantial steering wheel rotation, perhaps the clock spring wire assembly (which connects switches on the steering wheel hub and the driver's airbag) is at fault.

It is reasonable to wait for another failure before taking the car in for service.

4. Jonathan Epstein

Jonathan Epstein Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for all the responses!

Patrick: if it's the combination switch, and the problem recurs, then in principle the "dimmer switch" should also not be operational. Do you mean the dimmer switch associated with the brightness of the dashboard, to the left of the steering column? I keep my dashboard fairly dim, and didn't observe any difference in its brightness when the turn signals weren't working.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Jonathan,

I am referring to the headlight high beam/low beam dimmer switch which is part of the left switch stalk.

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No, he meant the switch that on the steering wheel stalk that controls your turn signals and lights (parking, headlights, highbeams).

SCH-I535