1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Turn your Prius into a EREV (or close)

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by scottf200, Jun 27, 2012.

1. scottf200

scottf200 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This sure seems like the best one out there.
    • Full Electric Mode=Y
    • Max Electric Speed=72 MPH
    • Range Per Charge=50 mi.
    • Battery Capacity=10 kW-hr
    Plug-In Supply | Plug-In Conversions for Prius and Escape

Plug-In Prius — Gen 2 or Gen 3 (2004–2012)
    With a Plug-In Supply lithium iron phosphate add-on battery pack for your Gen 2 or Gen 3 Prius, you get the features of a 2012 OEM Toyota Prius Plug-In at a fraction of the cost — and with more than four times the electric range. Don't settle for low-power, unreliable conversion systems from Enginer, or cheap knock-off imitations. Plug in with Plug-In Supply.

2. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When you go and advert negative about other brands out there i think its arrogant and not a positive thing
    So i would not advise buying

The trouble these guys have got into with other people there are always 2 side of a story
    -Htc Tapatalk ( sorry for auto spell correct )

3. bagwell

bagwell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    hopefully they can backup their claims..............but at $6000 and up, they've priced themselves out of the game.

4. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Good thread on the product Gen III Plug-In Supply Experiences | PriusChat

I've had lots of conversations with friends about this as in CO there is a 75% tax credit making a upgrade of say a 2009 or 2010.. its a great deal for them.

Don't know anyone that did this yet (know folks with the older 10kw pack, limited to 52mph) and the only real reviews are testimional's on their site.

I have to wonder what the 72mph is doing to the motors, as they were not really designed for that speed and with the HSD, to get that speed without the ICE really meas pushing MG1 way past its normal range. MG1 rotates at more than 2.5x Mg2.. There are multiple threads here about the Plug-in-supply and I've stil not see that resolved, the conseensus seems to be you can do 72.. but its not really recommended to do it all the time. Its not a "new" 2012 OEM.. but it may be a good choice for someone that has an existing prius, in good shape -- especially in CO.

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Oversizing the battery pack would price itself out, like the Volt. At least this conversion would still provide ~46 MPG on regular gas which is much better than Volt's 37 MPG on premium.

This conversion probably limit the battery power to 21 kW, unlike the 2012 Prius PHV 38 kW. I doubt it can match the official PHV's 10 years / 150k miles warranty as well.

EREV has too many compromises. Blending the battery and gas engine in synergy eliminates them. We need to move forward, not backward.

6. drinnovation

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

For some people, blending has too many compromises. The Engine should be for backup, not regular use. We've had PHEVs (via conversion kits) for 7 years.. This one is a bit more capable.

The pricing does not make as much sense for those buying a 2012.. but if you have a 2010 or 2011, the price difference from tradein to 2012 PiP is going to be more than the upgrade kit. If you have a 2008 even more of a savings/option -- since the Totyota ICE will be good for 200K miles, if you are only at 100K, adding the kit will be like adding 8-10 years of life.

7. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    I talked to pEEf about his gen 2 Prius plugin conversion last year at an Electric Auto Association meeting in San Francisco. I think he told me that there was an ECU message he was able to send that would keep the engine off but apply enough back torque to mg1 to keep it from exceeding its maximum rpm. That results in the engine free spinning but without any gas or spark and with the valves configured for minimum pumping losses. I suspect this is what happens normally when you drive downhill faster than 62.

This allowed him to drive on the freeway entirely on battery although he was limited by other power constraints that kept him from going much more than mid-60's mph on a flat road. I don't remember what those other constraints were (battery, inverter, etc.).

8. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I remember reading that honda closed all the valves to reduce pumping losses while free spinning the ice, I wonder why toyota leaves them open instead of closed, that seems like it would still use more energy to pump air. Maybe the valves can't stay closed all the time. I would expect that the torque characteristics of mg2 along with limitations on the inverter would set that max electric speed.

drinnovation likes this.
  9. drinnovation

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Interesting did he say anything about the impact on fuel efficency.
    While I can see open-engine cycling to keep MG1 in rev spec, but what does that do for the engine reliabiity. Doing every nwo and then on a hill is not a problem. Are they pumping/circulating oil?
    What does moist (and maybe salty some areas) air circulating though a non-running engine do to its reliability?

10. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Ignore my comment about the valves. I don't really know how that part works. The idea was that the valves can be controlled in such a way that they just allow the engine to free spin with minimum losses.

austingreen likes this.
  11. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  12. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    He didn't seem concerned about this causing engine reliability problems. I assume the engine would be pumping oil and maintaining its lubrication properly. I don't know what impact this had on overall fuel economy. He said acceleration was weak at highway speeds but it was fine for maintaining a steady speed for extended driving.

13. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yea, Scott put out a cheap shot, maybe reaching for a new low. But thats' his choice. Starting @ 6k on up, and offering a measly 3 yr warranty - whose kidding who here? I would buy a new 2012 PIP ang get the 10 year, 150,000 mile warranty.

DBCassidy

14. dbcassidy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If this Plug in Supply is so certain of their product reliability, they need to meet or exceed Toyotas' 10 year/ 150000 mile warranty.

Blending, not EREV, is the way to go.

DBCassidy

15. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Having the choice is great to blend is great... which is what the plug-in Prius offers. I've been taking advantage of that lately too. Cruising at 65 mph to & from work results in great MPG when depleting from the pack in EV-boost mode (default for high speeds) rather than switching to HV.

Think about what happens once efficiency has climbed to about 150 MPG. Any gain beyond that suffers from diminishing returns (not much more gas saved and much higher cost). Then think about times when the Heater or A/C is needed. Do you really want to sacrifice EV range for that?

16. scottf200

scottf200 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Someone that had one of these had a post and talked about their MPGs on a Volt related thread. I thought the company doing this was impressive because their competition could not -- as well as the manufacturer "could not" (in quotes).

I thought from looking at the idea/specs that it made the older/cheap Prius much more like an EREV for an reasonable price. EREV is unique in that the Volt works under heavy acceleration and at common highway speeds (65+).

Often people point out that instead of buying a brand new car that you could just drive an old one. Take a lot of energy and supplies to build a new car is their point. Or in this case an old one plus a new battery+mgmt.

Volt: Running mainly on electricity extends the life on my ICE and it parts as well (ie. spark plugs, oil, etc.

17. dbcassidy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My bad, I didn't realize that the oil and spark plugs were very expensive on the volt.

DBCassidy

18. dbcassidy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I totally agree, if their claims are backed up AND the overall price is lowered, then Plug in Supply has a chance.

DBCassidy

19. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Blending does too. Unless you drop the pedal to the floor in PHV, even acceleration onto the highway only results in a RPM of 1500. That's pretty darn easy on the engine.

20. scottf200

scottf200 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Volt's ICE runs at pretty low RPM as well (1600-1700 at moderate highway speeds). For many it just is not actually running that much and what could be easier on an ICE than not running. Even GM realized that and after several weeks will run it to do diagnoistics as well as lube it. I'll do an oil change early 2013 ... when my 2 years is up. My oil life is at 56% currently after 16 months.