1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Turnigy Reaktor Charger Info

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dirt657, Jan 24, 2019.

1. dirt657

dirt657 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey guys. Been messing around with these IMax B6 knock offs for a while. Done about 3 batteries for my personal priuses as well as some I've flipped. Didn't take me long to realize that these chargers are really not great at all. I bought 5 Reaktors with power supplies. I just want to know how accurate these guys are...With these IMax B6's I had to set discharge down to 5.7V because they are EXTREMELY off. 5.7V discharge brings the battery down to just over 6v, verified with a voltmeter of course. On top of that, when I set the limit to 7500Mah on the charge cutoff as well as the "D.Peak" option to 20mv, the chargers do not want to shut off and I really run the risk of over charging if I'm not careful. Thus the reason why I jumped ship to the higher quality Reaktor....So now come my two questions since I can't seem to find any clear answers.

1. I hear they don't come with the right cords needed to charge the modules. What cords will I need to get? I can't find a good open box picture.
    2. Which settings are you guys running for these chargers? It's a pretty good profit in my area and I may end up spending a grip and getting another 23 of these if I can get a good system going. I can't trust leaving the B6's alone. I'm told I can trust these a lot more.

Thanks for your help. I've consciously looked around and can't seem to find the right answers.

2. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are good photos of the unit on Amazon. I think most people make their own cables to connect to those banana plugs on the side.

3. dirt657

dirt657 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I got mine in today. I made it work. I just need to know the settings everyone is using.

4. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  5. lunacyworks

lunacyworks Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the link, but reading 2600 posts that are largely outdated are not a help. Help would point to the lastest relevant post. I would be nice if the main post was updated with the most current info. Is there a way for us to do this? I am all for reading and understanding completely, then there is the issue of learning the wrong ways or outdated ways which is not only dangerous but a waste of time.

Ok I just did a quick summary of the first 400 post. I will update as I continue re-reading the post.

Post #2
    settings
    5 amp Charge
    .7 amp Discharge to 6V
    6750 mAhr
    dsch<chg 3 cycles

Post #4
    Same capacity - within about 0.2 ah
    Same terminal voltage - within 0.05 v by controlled discharge of high modules
    Same series resistance - within about 10% (you can pair up modules to control this further as the resistances add)

post #63
    Here's what I was looking to use for settings:
    2 amp Charge
    1.0 amp Discharge to 8V (1.0V per cell, 8 cells per 9.6v battery)
    7250 mAhr (I assumed battery capacity was the same, just different voltage)
    dsch<chg 3 cycles
    What voltage would you enter for charging on the X4? (nominal 9.6V? other?)

Post #65
    The modules are counted from the terminal (high voltage ECU) end of the battery. The module nearest the ECU being (1) the furthest away being (28).

Post #67
    The upper battery carrier torque: 5.5 N*m 49 in*lb
    The upper battery cover 8 N*m 71 in*lb
    Battery Assembly 19 N*m 168 in*lb
    Frame wires 5.6 N*m 50 in*lb
    No. 6 Battery carrier panel 7.5 N*m 66 in*lb
    Remaining brackets 28 N*m 248 in*lb

Post #72 Sample workbook.xlsx

Post #92
    Some info on data to collect

Post #117
    [Recommended 10 amp max charging]
    Actual charging time should be 39 minutes at 10 amps (39mins divided by 60 minutes x 10 amps = 6.5 AH). The charging time would be slightly longer than this because of losses say 10%.

Post #130
    Link to youtube video on capacity test
    Hybrid Battery Capacity Test | PriusChat

NiMH Battery Specifications - HYBRIDS

Post #156
    Describes how a pro system was setup and used, gives good reference numbers.

Post #177
    Link to setting for using a Hitec X4
    Prius Battery rebalance thread | PriusChat

Post #197
    list of common mistakes (shorting, using torque app), over torquing bolts.

Post #205
    Claims 2amp charge rate is too high [my note: only true if not using Delta V)

Post #207
    Clarifies says 5 amp is too much, need to taper at end.

Post #245
    Summary of tips from a user for their Highlander battery check
    Found 2A charge rate worked well for him

Post #265
    Sample setting for Hitec Charger setup. (warning disables delta v)

Post #306
    Yes, it is essential to do parallel equalization prior to reassembly and installation. (now questionable advise?)

Post #322
    advise on Parallel equilization

Post #340
    Link to goverment test
    http://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehiclesandfuels/avta/pdfs/hev/batteryprius1052.pdf

Post #345
    If you have all cells out, turn them all the same way and loop wire for quick Equalization.

#5 lunacyworks, Sep 10, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    tri4all likes this.
  6. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well there is a search feature here if you don’t want to read that post. Best of luck.