1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Turtle Turtle. - After sitting unused...

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by MyUsernameIs, Jun 16, 2013.

1. MyUsernameIs

MyUsernameIs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We have an 02 prius 120k that works fine and dandy for the most part (slightly lower mileage then when new - we get 36-40mpg but I think part of that is the lead foot & AC usage) except now we have got the turtle a few times after it sits unused for a few days.

After driving it around for awhile the turtle goes away and doesn't come back. But this has happened a few times, the most recent after it sat in the driveway for 3 days with no activity. When we use it daily this doesn't occur.

Does this sound like the big battery is giving up the ghost after 11 years? Or is there something I can do to make it a happier camper (other then the obvious of paying attention to it daily)?

JMD likes this.
  2. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No, it sounds like it may be a degraded 12V battery. The turtle indication means your system is working correctly. If the traction battery is getting ready to give up the ghost, you will see charge levels rapidly go from full to empty, the fan will come on, the ICE will run all the time, the check engine and Triangle of Death will come on, You will know beyond any shadow of doubt when it happens.

I'm not sure what's causing your turtle to come on but I'll bet driving it regularly will indeed fix the problem.

3. MyUsernameIs

MyUsernameIs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I actually just replaced the 12v a few weeks ago because a couple times got angry lights (not sure which - wife is the primary driver), and slow starts. Since I replaced the 12v it has been fine with the exception of the turtle. All of this nonsense started after it sat unused for about a month or so.

Now with the new 12v it works great with the exception of the turtle. Got it once after it sat for 5-6 days, and then the other day after it sat for 48-72 hours. It starts up fine then the ICE stays on for an extended period of time. from what I can see it seems to charge the traction battery, then it is fine and runs as normal.

Unfortunately with only the stupid graphic to go by and not a fancy digital % meter I am not sure where the charge is on the traction.

4. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's too bad. I'd bet that the down time is causing your problem and with regular (like every day or every other day) use, the problem will cease.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the reason for the lack of use and... is there anyway to rearrange who drives what vehicle to get regular use? I ask this because this is what I believe is happening (and maybe knowing this, you can do some other stuff to limit this thing popping up):

Before the vehicle is parked, the traction battery is likely low from running on battery in the residential area just before you get home. Then, because the vehicle sits, the traction battery is self discharging while it sits (not much but some). Then the first thing you likely do after startup is put it in reverse????? ( reverse only uses battery power and no ICE, further discharging the battery). Then the car (by design) relies primarily on the battery until the ICE is warmed up (further discharging the battery). I'm guessing this is about the time you're getting the turtle. Right?????

Then the car goes in to "protect" mode (aka turtle) until the battery is charged to a sufficient amount for proper operation.

If all this sounds correct, here's what I would recommend:
    1) Before parking the car at the end of the day, force charge the battery for about a minute (this is done by putting the car in D, holding the brake with the left foot and giving it gas until the ICE fires up). The reason for this is to put the car to rest with a nearly fully charged battery so the aforementioned scenario doesn't tax the battery. Doing this alone should prevent the turtle
    2) If you dont want to do 1), as you're driving home, monitor the "Energy" screen and keep the ICE on and charging the battery as much as possible (hopefully arriving home with a 60-65% SOC). This should also give you plenty of cushion to prevent the turtle.
    3) Let the car warm up for at least 1 minute before putting it in reverse

All or any of these should prevent your turtle.