1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TV remote control -- two of them work -- then they don't

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stevewoods, Mar 29, 2018.

1. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you manage to find someone with a SmartPhone to test your 2 remotes?

2. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wifey has an IPhone, I just refuse to use one.

Two things I really dislike, doing dishes and talking on phones.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    me too, and i'll throw in window washing and vacuuming.:cool:

pilotgrrl likes this.
  4. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I can clean the breakroom and bathrooms at work just fine, if I'm on the duty roster for that task at the end of the day. But at home I have no idea or skill to do the same thing. :rolleyes:

A digital camera can also "see" the IR transmissions from any modern remote, same as a cellphone can.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  5. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    An i-Phone camera will "see" if the remote is working.

I hate phones too.

When I was working, for 45 years I was tuned to the demands of phones.

When I retired, I did a lot of gardening etc and was outside off and on all day. I'd hear the phone ring. And keep gardening. Just to prove that I WAS NO LONGER at the demand of phones.

I'd get inside, see a message left - my Mum. I'd ring her "you must have been out, you didn't answer". "Nope, I heard it but was outside". She couldn't comprehend that I wouldn't sprint inside to answer the phone.

Dishes - if I don't do them - they don't get done. So I do them - eventually.

Fortunately my dogs clean their own. When they've finished eating, they check each other's plates and give them a second clean - and then another, ditto, ditto. Their plates shine.
    upload_2018-4-6_12-3-44.png upload_2018-4-6_12-4-47.png

Stevewoods likes this.
  6. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Remote working with no issues now for about two weeks.

Just wondering...

Do not remember exact timeframe, but there was a bunch of heavy equipment working maybe a quarter-mile to a half-mile away. Lots of dump truck traffic, excavators, etc. building some new homesite out in the woods.

I THINK during that same time I came out to my Camry and found the doors locked, even though I never lock my car at home.

Wondering if they were using radio equipment that might have affected the remote signals?

They are done working and coincidentally, remote IS working.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    possible, but i've never heard of it. sometimes when you drive through a blasting site, they tell you to turn off your radio. sounds pretty old fashioned though, with all the electronics today.

8. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The reason they tell you turn off radio xmtrs, is the RF emission can cause blasting caps to detonate. Rare, but apparently it has happened.
    Virtually no chance the RF from the construction guys did anything to the locking system however.. Worst that could happen, let's say I am parked next to your car. I key the XMTR in my car, 45 watts, through a 8 dB gain antenna, gives you 360 Watts Effective Radiated Power, or ERP!! It would overload the FOB receiver so when you pushed a button on your keyfob, the car might not hear it! That"s about it!!

9. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    ALIENS.
    Or Big Brother.

10. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unlikely to be the machinery affecting the TV Remote.

Almost all TV Remotes are InfraRed - though I understand some are RF, but I've never seen one. If you test using an iPhone or SmartPhone camera and you see a beam when you press a button, it will be InfraRed. I recently tested a dozen I've got here - changing batteries, cleaning contacts etc - and they're all IR.

11. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Our DirecTV remotes have both an IR and RF component, which is quite odd.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  12. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hmm, well, not complaining, all is working.

I was just thinking about the construction work possibly having something to do with it, as I remember some 20+ years ago, when there was a small logging job taking place near my place, my son's remote control truck started moving around at odd times of the day.

We finally (do not recall how) decided it was the radio signals from the log trucks (?).

IIRC, had to take the batteries out of the truck until that job was finished.

But, again, seems strange, but the door locks on my Camry have activated several times in the past few months while the car was parked in my driveway. I would come out and the doors would be locked -- and the remote fob was locked inside. No issue, as I have a key on my primary key ring, but it was around the same time the remotes were acting up.

Mysteries, what would life be without them.

#72 Stevewoods, Apr 17, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  13. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My Dad had been in his home for 15 yrs since he retired. He said to me that his garage door kept going up at odd intervals. He had 2 remotes, one in the car and one inside the home. He wasn't really one to delve into mysteries, so when he heard it go up he'd just press the button and put it down again. Though he'd come home and found it open a couple of times, but they were home 98% of the time.

Went on for a couple of weeks till he noticed that one day it went up - and his neighbour was reversing out his driveway. Went across to chat with him, asked him to press his remote - and the neighbours door opened and Dad's closed. Problem solved - the neighbour's NEW garage door opener still had the same factory default coding that Dad had. He got his changed.

bisco likes this.
  14. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    alanclarkeau likes this.
  15. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Thoughtco are among those fighting the good fight, highlighting gee whiz in science. A bit of looseness in the editing room ought to be forgiven.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    doing better than my dad who presses the garage remote control trying to change the tv channel.:p

pilotgrrl and alanclarkeau like this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When I use my iPhone at home, I have to be sitting at my desk where my landline phone used to be. I tend to reach for that ol' phone once or twice too, even though it's not there...

18. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I take it that smart phones lack IR emitters in hardware? It might be useful.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nine years is quite geriatric for a TV!
    It was about that many years ago (June 2009---I just looked it up) that they started broadcasting in digital in the US, so if your TV is as old as that it's probably not even a TV anymore.

If you've investigated both ends of the IR, and made sure that your receive window isn't occulted by pictures, empty beer cans, other viewers, dust, etc...then I'd say that it's time to stick the crowbar in your wallet, fire up the Model A and go into town and get another one. ;)

You'll probably be pretty surprised.
    Millenniels just aren't into the ginormous TV screens like Nanny and Pap are, and costs for them trending southward.
    If you don't have black tape over the camera on your laptop, you can get a "smart" TV and eliminate one or more set-top boxes that might be contributing to your entertainment clutter.......and maybe even blocking the IR shutter on your present TV.

Good Luck!

20. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yep, it's an older box for sure.

It's an HD LCD Sharp 32".

No smart capabilities, nor do I want them. My broadcast signal is OTA -- get a handful of channels from Seattle, etc. No cable or satellite boxes or converter boxes needed.

Our internet is slow DSL, so no need for NETFLIX or any of that, as it won't work with our slow speeds.

All-in-all, while we do watch TV, we don't watch a lot of it -- pretty much the national and local news in the evenings and early mornings.

Our kids grew up appreciating books and what they could do outside. We never restricted their TV time, but since there was not much to watch, they sort of restricted it themselves :)

alanclarkeau and Mendel Leisk like this.