1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TV's Plasma vs. LCD

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by MarinJohn, Dec 27, 2006.

1. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Dec 28 2006, 02:31 AM) [snapback]367583[/snapback]</div>
    I've had my Benq projector for 2 years now and haven't had a reason to replace my bulb yet.
    Viewing angle has more to do with the screen you are projecting on than the projector itself.

2. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Dec 28 2006, 12:37 AM) [snapback]367555[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with Daniel. My projector takes up almost no space, and I have a retractable screen mounted to the ceiling. I was able to have exta shelves where the screen retracts and the shelves are simply behind when the screen is retracted. There is no way I could get about 100" TV be it plasma or LCD, costwise and at that time noone was even making TV of that size. Even today I believe the Panasonic Plasma of that size is about $50,000. My projector was $3500 at the time and the screen was about $2,500.

3. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I sold a lot of both types when I worked for a local electronics store. Plasma TV's have overcome 90% of their early problems with "dead pixels". Quality control and manufacturing processes have improved over the years. The main advantages afforded by Plasmas are:

1. Very large sizes (LCD's in 60" and over are still VERY expensive)

2. Better contrast ratio. LCD's don't have true blacks.

3. Generally less expensive than LCD's

4. No ghosting in rapidly moving scenes in action movies.

Disadvantages:

1. Burn-in. If you constantly watch a channel with a "zipper" across the bottom, it will eventually leave a noticeable mark in the "raster". For this reason, Plasmas don't mix with kids (of all ages) and video games.

2. Heat can be a problem in a constricted area.

3. Noise from cooling fans (some models still have them) can be annoying in a quiet room

For economic reasons, plasmas will eventually go the way of the CRT.

I personally, would look at the manufacturer, not the format. This is like betting the jockey instead of the horse. Some manufacturers have constantly good products, some don't. My personal choice was a 37" Sharp. It's 1080i (just missed 1080p). It's on my bedroom wall, in a room with northward facing windows and heavy drapes available. Without direct sunlight, there is more than sufficient output from the LCD for great viewing.

I have to say, however, that for the most dramatic viewing, I still use my 55" (4x3) Toshiba rear projector upstairs in the loft (now called a media room). Because of the sheer size, brightness and contrast, when viewed from 10 feet away, you soon forget that you are looking at a 480i picture.

4. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Dec 28 2006, 02:31 AM) [snapback]367583[/snapback]</div>
    But remember what I said, 60,000 hours is the half life and thats 33 years of 5 hours a day viewing. Thats the life of most TVs, even old CRT TVs. You're not going to have the TV for 33 years.

I simply don't agree. If you calibrate the display properly I seriously doubt you're going to have issues with burn in of any kind on a modern Plasma due to higher quality pixels and new technologies like pixel shifting, etc. Some articles on burning in for Plasmas:

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmat...atv-burnin.html

http://www.flattvpeople.com/tutorials/lcd-vs-plasma.asp

http://www.diy-home-theater-design.com/plasma-burn-in.html

We play video games, we had slight chosting for 2-3 minutes once from a radar reticle after 4 hours of solid gaming, thats it. Just be smart and don't play a game with static images for 15 hours straight and you'll probably be fine.

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Dec 28 2006, 02:34 AM) [snapback]367594[/snapback]</div>
    Many people give up and go for the personal angle, just as you did. It was an effort on my part to see how a non-Prius discussion about a subjective topic would proceed... more practice in a friendly environment, because other forums demonstrate the definition of hostile quite well.

Anywho, I personally really am not interested. The newest LCD at 1080p is a sweet threshold. Beyond that is overkill for visual. Price becomes much, much more important at that point... which is precisely what people focus on. Try pointing out DVD, upconvert, and HD/BR differences. You'll get far more price consideration replies with that too, rather than emphasis on quality.

Other aspects do come in to play, like the black level. But that is also reaching the level of being a wash. Angle viewing, including blacks, have increased in richness quite a bit recently. True, Plasma is deeper. But the reflective surface of Plasma, verses the non-reflective of LCD, could cancel out that type of advantage.

There's contrast-ratio to consider and how clean of a display rapid action is. Those are quite noticeable with a decent video source. But again, all that is subjective... not numeric type data like when dealing with hybrids like Prius. So I was curious. In fact, I'm most wanting to know what people consider for size.

6. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

OMG, I posted just 10 hours ago thinking I would probably purchase a Panasonic Plasma TH42PX60U (42") for about $1100 (incl. tax and shipping and (I think, installation)) the next day (today) after doing lots of research, but thought I'd run it by my amigos at PC for assurance and now I am more confused than ever. You guys are a font of information! BTW this is the updated system my neighbor bought about 5-6 years ago for about $6000! All I know for sure is that the next few days seem to be the best time to purchase electronics, just before year end during inventory clearance. Well, now to reread all posts and consider again! Thanks for your replies!!

7. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    John, he's not worth your time.

Marin, Good luck! Let us know what you decide. Whatever you decide though, get HD from your cable or satellite company! You've forked out a lot of money, go the little extra you won't be sorry.

8. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Dec 28 2006, 11:03 AM) [snapback]367640[/snapback]</div>
    Sigh. :(

Many people give up and become frustrated when you post the wrong information. You could actually just admit ignorance and learn from what PriusEnvy posted. I bet his cat would.

9. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

I went with LCD... For IMHO, it's less of a pain in the arse than a plasma (for reasons stated above), and IMO, provides a more precise and crisper image, plus, I think it's a little more "flexible" with computers/video game "machines". The projector route is OK if you want mobility or have space issues, or want a huge image, but I've yet to see one provide as crisp of an image as almost any LCD/plasma, they always seem to have that "dimness" about them (even on 20K ones I've used at various people's homes), even when you make the effort to totally seal off a room from any light.

10. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maggieddd @ Dec 28 2006, 03:58 AM) [snapback]367609[/snapback]</div>
    I think Tideland Prius was referring to rear projection when he wrote "projector". Must be a Canadian thing.

In the USA "projector" almost always refers to front projection, not rear projection TVs.

11. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Dec 28 2006, 06:52 AM) [snapback]367635[/snapback]</div>
    Or, perhaps misinformation consistently posted by a handful of stubborn and ignorant individuals just irritates the hell out of me. Judging by my PMs, I'm not the only one who is annoyed by john1701a's posts.

You thought enough of the problem to mention it. Outboard scalers are obviously a niche product. But for people who are bothered enough by the problem to spend money solving it, they work.

12. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Dec 28 2006, 11:09 AM) [snapback]367642[/snapback]</div>
    I figured there would be a lot of conflicting info when you asked and is why I pointed you to AVS in the first place. I don't think you need to rush out and buy a panel before the end of the year. There's always good deals to be had if you're patient. It's more important to get accurate info to make a informed decision. I wouldn't go to AVS for Prius vs Civic info.

Projectors are nice, but need a light controlled room to look good, so keep that in mind.

BTW, that picture looks like Chinaman's Hat.

13. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(koa @ Dec 28 2006, 10:58 AM) [snapback]367692[/snapback]</div>
    Close...about a mile south

14. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Dec 28 2006, 09:26 AM) [snapback]367644[/snapback]</div>
    He made the effort anyway. It was fine. Subjective matter is far more difficult to address. Hard-Numbers from real-world data, like we deal with for Prius, are quite different. So the passion behind the opinions isn't a problem. People are curious. This forum is friendly to that, especially in FHOP.

As for the topic at hand, I'm always fascinated by how rapidly that technology advances and how open people are to adopting it. We certainly don't see that in general with the hybrids.

My money (literally) is on LCD advancements. With so many different devices taking advantage of offering screens, all of which are LCD, the market will inevitably offer improvements. Right now, depending on desired use and funds available, Plasma can be a better choice. And of course, some people swear by projectors, since they do offer some unique advantages.

15. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Dec 28 2006, 11:20 AM) [snapback]367682[/snapback]</div>
    What has been "consistently" posted?

16. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Dec 28 2006, 11:37 AM) [snapback]367736[/snapback]</div>
    Taken to PM as I'm sure no one else is interested in seeing the rest of this.

17. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Dec 28 2006, 01:46 PM) [snapback]367749[/snapback]</div>
    Why? Simply starting a new thread (especially here in FHOP) would be far more productive, allowing others to contribute their observations, as well as letting them make the determination themself.

Nope... never mind. The PM just popped up and was most definitely not of a constructive nature.

18. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are there significant differences in how much energy these types of TV use? Do they use power even when they're 'off'? How 'green' are they in manufacture and disposition?

19. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Dec 28 2006, 04:46 PM) [snapback]367749[/snapback]</div>
    A-hem....

...cough...

...cough...

:ph34r:

I say we all be more open minded, and tolerant. I'd encourage bitching matches within legit threads. Those that like drama get their fill, those who want technical arguments/discussions get theirs.

20. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius