1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TW50 Windows Tint: Do you like it?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Prius_in_Paradise, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Prius_in_Paradise

Prius_in_Paradise Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    TW50 Windows Tint: What is it?

TW50 Windows Tint is a Port Installed Option (PIO) available only on a Prius that comes into SouthEast Toyota (SET).

Therefore, I know that TW50 Windows Tint is a tint applied by an independent contractor.

Do you know the details of TW50?

Do you have a Prius with TW50 Windows Tint, and if yes, do you like it?

Thank you.

2. Lafferty

Lafferty Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I believe Toyota uses 3M for their port installed window tints. It looks good, and I'm sure they do a good job with the installation, but you can find better films for a lower price elsewhere.

3. LRKingII

LRKingII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just talked to my local installer and he uses a brand called MaxPro. Anyone know anything good or bad about it?

4. Lafferty

Lafferty Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    MaxPro is okay. It's a reletively new non-metallic film that is inexpensive. The only negative I've heard is that the color can be a little too green.

How much is your guy charging and how many windows do you plan on tinting?

5. LRKingII

LRKingII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I only asked the hatch price and he charges $75 for that

6. Lafferty

Lafferty Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Counter with $50.

7. LRKingII

LRKingII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    LOL i can do that.
    Now i have a question. He said that a Prius hatch window was a double curve. I've never looked that close and know what he means but is he correct?

8. Lafferty

Lafferty Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not really sure what that means. It sounds like he's trying to make it seem like the Gen III hatch is more difficult to work with, in order to justify the high price. A hatch is generally easier to tint than sedan/coupe back windows.

9. LRKingII

LRKingII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    He was saying it was that way in a genII hasn't seen a III yet

10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unless you live in a low income area I don't see how anyone can stay in business tinting a rear window for $50. That wouldn't begin to cover the overhead unless it's a backyard type deal. lol Futhermore, I'd expect to get bubbles, cheap tint, and possibly dust particles between the tint and window.

11. raidbuck

raidbuck New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A IV has water-resistant driver and passenger door windows. Will tinting impact that feature?

Thanks,

Rich N.

12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unless someone tried to apply tint to the outside window I don't see why it would. If there is any sort of inside glass coating there is the possiblity of complications with the tint adhesive but it is doubtful. You could always conact the tint manufacturer about the concern and see what they say. I recommend LLUMAR tint.

1 person likes this.
  13. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    All Prius windows in the G2 have slight double curvature, but it is not very pronounced. I did my own film tinting and the hatch was the easiest to do and came out best of the lot.
    I don't think the G3 would be any worse to do. OTOH, I would suggest getting it done professionally. There is definitely an art to doing it well, as I discovered!

1 person likes this.
  14. raidbuck

raidbuck New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks F8L. My ignorance not knowing how they go about tinting. So if they do it on the inside everything should be OK.

Do people regularly only tint some of the windows? Any reason (besides cost) not to do 4 plus the hatch?

Thanks,

Rich N.

15. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Some states have laws prohibiting tint on any windows at the driver's position or forward, and below or above a certain point on the windshield. Stems from reasons including driver safety and officer safety (if stopping - it's nice to see in).

1 person likes this.
  16. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My pleasure Rich. Not many people understand how tinting works so it is totally understandable. We do tinting at my other job and I get the oddest questions so yours was actually a good question and very pertinant unless you fully understood the tinting process.

Like HTML explained, there are laws prohibiting tint in specific locations and/or tint shade levels (i.e. you cannot go too dark in specific locations). Regardless of laws, some people choose to only tint certain windows due to visibility reasons or for asthetics. Some people have trouble seeing out of the back window at night so they choose a very light tint, others choose to go as black as they can and then progressively lighter as you move towards the front of the car. It's all up to your personal preference and how you chose to follow your state's laws. :)

1 person likes this.
  17. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    tinters seem to like suntek tint. word is these people use to make llumar film and started their own company. i had suntek film on my car and no complaints.

18. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know currently LLUMAR makes their own film. I cannot verify at this time if they used to farm out their film production. I can find out on Saturday though. :)

They do seem like one of the few that offer a nation-wide warranty that covers not only the film but the removal and reinstallation of film in the event of a manufacture defect. Those are important things to consider from any company. I'm not biased. :)