1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Two big dogs in a Prius v (pictures)

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Chazz8, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I finally let my Golden Retriever (Buddy) and Great Pyrenees (Fred) in my Prius v (wagon). I was ready to concede that there was not any more "new car smell" left in my Prius.

They were eager to go and jumped up before I was ready. They made it up and in with no scratches (maybe that bumper applique worked?), but I did notice that 2 inches of weather seal popped out and pushed right back in. I'll be posting about the weather seal here: http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-v-main-forum/105132-hatchback-weather-seal.html

[​IMG]

I had taken out the middle head rest on the way to the park, and that gave the dogs too much room to stick their noses over the rear seat backs. As we got close to the park, Fred decided to come over the seat back and had two front paws on the back seat and two rear paws in the cargo area. No damage to the synthetic leather. I made sure to put the middle head rest back for the return trip.

After lots of fun at the dog park we were more organized for dog loading and no weather seal was disturbed. The new threat was dog drool. My little girl was there to wipe any slobber she saw. I wiped the head rests with damp paper towel and dried them as good as new.

[​IMG]

And with that trip my Prius v fulfilled its last test. I wanted a vehicle that could hold my family with two big dogs; mission accomplished. Other requirements were;

Get good MPG - check

Be able to drive like my previous 2000 RX 300 vehicle, up hill at 75 passing others - check I got 34.5 MPG for that tank in the dead of winter so I'm OK with that. I have more fun now driving closer to speed limits and playing the MPG game aggressively instead of driving aggressively.

Have lots of gadgets - check ATP took care of that and any cost requirements I might have been thinking about.

2. roamerr

roamerr Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Cool Pics especially with the dripping tongues!!

3. Wanderer

Wanderer Hybrid neophyte

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Now that's a car load of fur! They do look quite happy though. W

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    :)

I'm not much of a dog fan, but I liked your pictures and can appreciate happy dogs.
    Next trip I suggest putting the kids in the back, and let the dogs enjoy an open moonroof.

5. priusvgator

priusvgator New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The slobber pic makes me appreciate our 10lb Terrier. :)

6. flmedicmom

flmedicmom New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Cute pictures! We have had our golden and very fat beagle in the back of our v many times, it is easy for the beagle to hop up in vs. our old crv. We got 2 canvas seat covers, one fits over the back seat- quite nicely for kid drool and we put the other backwards (hooks around head rests) to cover the rear end- keeps hair and doggie drool off and keeps the back of back seats from getting scratched up by the dogs

7. rebenson

rebenson Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    sorry, but they look a little crampred. To bad the cant be in the back seat... looks like they are drooling thinkng the same thing...

8. BubbleDogs

BubbleDogs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I got Prius v for the same reason - good mileage but need to put two cattle dogs in the crates as we go shows and trials. They were at loss first after all I had my Tahoe for 12 years, made some scratches on the bumper when they jumped up and off. I highly appreciate the bumper cover that I got from this store! And I do sympathize the weather strip - it will take some beating! Do they lay down eventually? Mines tend to stay sit and watch the back window. They must be wondering why views are so different now.