1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Two cars one key?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Ilikesilvercars, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Ilikesilvercars

Ilikesilvercars Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all, long time listener first time caller.

Does anyone know if it is possible to program a key to run on both of my hihy and my prius so I don't have to carry around two keys in my pocket?

mnsweeps likes this.
  2. ralleia

ralleia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't know the answer (except that knowing that with tech, if you can dream it, then you can generally achieve it)...

...but what is a hihy?

3. Ilikesilvercars

Ilikesilvercars Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A HiHy is a Highlander Hybrid.

ralleia likes this.
  4. mnsweeps

mnsweeps Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    OP..good question..I have a HiHy and now got a 2012 Prius. I would love to know if this is possible...carry I remote to open both :)

5. ralleia

ralleia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I found this discussion on Priuschat.

It appears that the FOBs have a higher order of control than regular keyless entry FOBs and garage door openers (might relate to the difficulty of stealing a Prius!) and the reprogramming would likely have to be done at certain dealerships, if it all.

IMPORTANT EXPERIENCE: KEY/FOB Programming Issues | PriusChat

6. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Although I don't understand the technology well enough to know why, I believe the answer is no. BTW; we have 3 Gen 3 Prii and I would be delighted to be proven wrong.

7. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If the two cars are compatible with exactly the same fob, then you should be able to program one of the cars to use a smart key from the other. There's a fellow in the SF Bay Area who can do this. They don't re-program the key; they re-program the car to accept the key.

8. mnsweeps

mnsweeps Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Need someone in LA who does this. Thanks for info.. I just returned after a 2 day visit to Santa Clara yesterday but obviously I drove in one car :)

9. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This makes sense, but I'm amazed that somebody has actually solved it.

The car broadcasts its "VID", or Vehicle ID. When a keyfob hears its VID, it responds with its keyfob ID. So if you can get several cars to broadcast the same VID, then you could program the keyfobs & security ECU to accept the same keyfobs. I would worry about the keyfobs getting out of sync with multiple cars.

The VID is stored in some ECU, probably on a separate memory chip like the one for the odometer. All you have to do is locate the chip, compare its contents to the same chip on another car, and then duplicate one chip to the other. Another few hours with Techstream and you'll hopefully have the car back working...