1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Two day sale on Garmin GPS

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by srellim234, Apr 10, 2019.

1. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Since Toyota is no longer putting out GPS DVDs for our Gen IIs, if you're looking for a stand-alone GPS instead of tying up your phone you might consider the following.: factoryoutletstore.com is having a two day sale on some Garmin GPS units. They do have some refurb units at very reasonable prices along with free domestic shipping. The warranty on those refurbs is the same one that Garmin gives on a brand new unit.

If you aren't looking for one now but might in the future, factoryoutletstore.com has these kinds of sales often.

I just ordered a Garmin Drive 50 with free lifetime map updates for $54.95.

https://g.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/1637/Garmin-Automotive-GPS.html

2. egg_salad

egg_salad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It never fails to amaze me how one can buy a $60 Garmin and get free lifetime map updates, whereas manufacturers charge $1000 or more for an integrated GPS and then $100 or more PER YEAR for updates. And then they stop offering any updates at all after 5-10 years.

I will be a Garmin customer forever.

And for the people who say Google (or Apple) maps is free, no it isn't. First of all you pay for data, and second you "pay" by giving Google/Apple free information about your whereabouts.

Mendel Leisk, benagi, Merkey and 6 others like this.
  3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yap, I use Garmin over in-dash NAV from TOYOTA any day. I don't remember which model I have, but it is at least 5 years old, and still works better than in-dash NAV that came with my PRIME which is less than 2 years old. No, I never paid to update my in-dash NAV. I have a lifetime update from Garmin.

4. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I’d happily spend £55 at a Garmin SATNAV sale here in London. Sadly, this is bend over Britain where the words “eternally boned” and “no lube” constantly apply to motorists here, especially in Londonium.

I use an old surplus iPhone 5s with Waze specifically for navigation information. Not that I really need it, but I love the traffic updates - and it talks a lot

iPhone 6s +

kenoarto likes this.
  5. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Real Men Don'T Use GPS

Of course, real men wives don't force them to take the navigation option when they buy a new car, either, as wifey forced me to do....she says it's because I refuse to use a cell phone....

Having the navigation option and knowing HOW to use it though. That's a whole 'nother smoke....

Data Daedalus likes this.
  6. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Even my wife doesn't like navigation units on cars; she has always used her phone or a Garmin. Our Prius has navigation only because it came with the car (used car purchase). It still has the original DVD in it from 2008.

I like the flexibility of being able to move it from car to car. There are times when we're visiting relatives in other states when we all pile into one of their cars to go someplace new or some place none of us has been for a long time. Portable GPS units come in handy then.

Data Daedalus and cyberpriusII like this.
  7. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Never understood some of these "guy things."

I need directions, I have no trouble asking (and guys usually have no trouble helping :D -- of course that seems to be changing as I head into my mid-30s.....)

Luckily, my father taught me and "the boys" how to cut a trail, find our way with and without a REAL compass, etc. But, an IPhone makes it all so easy....Having said that, she has led me astray in Portland more than once.

Anyway, really tempted by the deal. If I had any cash, I actually might have purchased!. But thanks for bringing it forward!>

Data Daedalus, srellim234 and Merkey like this.
  8. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Pretty soon you will find out about Google maps and Waze

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  9. bat4255

bat4255 2017 Prius v #2 and 2008 Gen II #2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Not being a smart phone owner (yea, get with the program), I also have a Garmin with lifetime updates. Had it for 5 years and I love it, and take it with us no matter what vehicle we use. I also like the download feature of a road trip. Plus the added features of location services of upcoming motels, restaurants, gas, etc. This is 1 of our 4 road trips in the last 2 years. I update maps about once a month.

Attached Files:

srellim234 and cyberpriusII like this.
  10. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When we travel, I have the car's built-in, my old TomTom and at least two map apps on my phone...the route that gets he most votes (because, they dissagree often) wins.

bat4255 likes this.
  11. egg_salad

egg_salad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    What do you do when you're in places where there's no cellular data service? And how much does unlimited data cost you? Neither of those things are an issue with a standalone GPS.

Oh, and why do you want the folks at Google to know your whereabouts??

bat4255 likes this.
  12. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Google maps has an important function that predownloads maps for dead cell zones (think West Virginia). We have Sprint's free unlimited plan! We do not pay $100/month for for cable. If/when this TomTom dies, we will not be buying a "new" one.

srellim234 likes this.
  13. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Agreed in your conditions. There are a lot of offline navigation apps out there that store the maps on the phone or tablet. Cross country, though, our plan is to leave my phone running Torque Pro on the dash ( I find Hybrid Assistant is too cluttered while I'm driving) and my wife doesn't want to tie up her phone so she can play movies and games on it. The Garmin makes that easy.

14. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "Tie up"? I run a dozen or more apps at most times. Switching between them (or split screen) works perfectly. Waze has a music player built in. Currently looking for the best DashCam app (not gonna buy another device).

15. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is that not going to be limiting. You pretty much will not be able to use the device for anything else while you're dash-camming.