1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Two fatal drunk driving accidents didn't happen

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by bwilson4web, Dec 3, 2018.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/news/2018/12/03/developer-behind-proper-hotel-pulled-over-for.html?ana=yahoo&yptr=yahoo

Alexander Samek — who runs real estate developer The Kor Group — was pulled over by two California Highway Patrol officers on Highway 101 on suspicion of drunk driving, the San Francisco Chronicle reports.

Equally as dangerous, he was also reportedly asleep at the wheel around 3:30 a.m. on Friday, when his Tesla Model S sped 70 mph in a straight line past the highway’s Redwood City exits. While Samek snoozed the Tesla cruised on autopilot.
    . . .
    In January, the CHP said on Twitter that a Tesla driver had passed out drunk on Bay Bridge, also claiming his car was on autopilot.

How did the Samek Tesla continued as I understand Autopilot requires periodic input or the hands on the wheels. There is supposed to be a 'dead man' monitoring that will bring the car to a stop incase the driver is incapacitated. Was he driving an earlier version that doesn't have this feature?

Bob Wilson

2. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The options I see are:

The ‘dead man switch’ aspect was broken.
    The driver was putting a small amount of torque on the wheel while unconscious, but not so much as to cancel AP.
    The driver had used some type of defeat device. As simple as a can of beer tired to the wheel, or actual software hacking.

I see the first as least likely, the second as slightly less unlikely, and the third as having the greatest chance of likelihood.

Beyond the driver’s failure, the AP system worked quite well. Slowing down as traffic slowed down in front of it. No damage to any cars or people. I applaud the CHP for diagnosing and resolving the issue without damage.

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't believe that asleep at the wheel, necessarily means hands off the wheel.

Plus, there is really no minimum sleep interval. In a couple long ago fatigued driving events, I have experienced 'micro-sleeps', just momentary laps of consciousness, barely long enough to put tires onto shoulder gravel or center line bumps. So it is quite possible that cops may catch Tesla autopilot users between the time of falling asleep and the car initiating corrective 'dead man' action.

'Asleep' may also have a range of meaning, such as conscious enough to not trigger dead man protections, but such narrow tunnel mental awareness to not see flashing lights in the mirrors.

#3 fuzzy1, Dec 3, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    Zythryn and bwilson4web like this.
  4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    This scenario is exactly why some car's dash cameras now face fixed inward (ah la some caddys - Model 3's) facing towards the driver, so they can watch for eyes not facing the road or eyelids closing Etc. In our Zeal to make doofus driver's conditions foolproof, we now strive to make them idiot proof as well.

5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Funnily enough that's how I summarized the news too. Everywhere I read the story, it seems to be portrayed as Tesla being bad because they allowed it to happen. I view it like the thread title, the Tesla AP saved 2 drunk idiots from smashing into something or someone else and causing damage or injury to others. This is a win for Tesla.

jdcollins5 and bwilson4web like this.