1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Two-Mode hybrid may be a one hit wonder for Daimler, BMW (speculation is that they'll abandon it)

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by cwerdna, Jul 23, 2009.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Today at General Motors 4.5L Duramax V8 could be revived when the conditions are right, they stated the obvious:
    The link leads to:
    Two-Mode hybrid may be a one hit wonder for Daimler, BMW

Hmm... Weren't Jonnycat26 and troll HiLaker singing the praises of the two-mode system and the joint venture?

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Re: Two-Mode hybrid may be a one hit wonder for Daimler, BMW (speculation is that they'll abandon it

I'm not surprised because GM consistently over-engined their two-mode vehicles. Instead of putting it in a smaller vehicle so the ratio of gas-to-hybrid power would match, they insisted on using it in a configuration that all but guaranteed failure.

Bob Wilson

3. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Two-Mode hybrid may be a one hit wonder for Daimler, BMW (speculation is that they'll abandon it

LOL, I think Autobloggreen was being generous calling it a "one-hit wonder."

It doesn't even have one hit! Absolutely NONE of the 2-mode SUVs sold well.

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

They were working on a simpler and smaller version for the FWD. Why don't they continue to improve it? The first generation of the Prius wasn't a big "hit" either. Toyota improved greatly in the second generation and look where we are now.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

It also fits with this:

Green Car Congress: The New General Motors Launches; Lutz Unretiring

GM is doomed ... doomed I say.

"Maximum Bob" is not likely to see how to make an efficient two-mode since he didn't see it before.

Bob Wilson

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Hmm probably dropping 2-mode in favor of Volt.