1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Two Out of Three Ain't Bad

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Apr 6, 2019.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

We own two of these three cars ... very happily.

Bob Wilson

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I ran three, bidirectional, benchmarks using a dash cam on a fairly flat, paved road on the west boundary with the airport. I then transcribed the GPS time, latitude, and speed
    [​IMG]
    Surprising results:
    • Nearly identical acceleration to 65-70 mph
    • 2014 BMW i3-REx is speed limited to ~90 mph
    • 2014 BMW i3-REx performance the same in EV or with Rex running
    The SRM3+ acceleration is set to 'Chill' versus 'Standard' so I need to compare these modes. Furthermore, there are other options like 'traction control' that may affect acceleration rate. Finally, I did not try to launch either car by holding the brake, full press the accelerator, and release the brake. However, I may wait until the GPS mouse arrives and add high resolution accelerometer data.

My primary interest is in getting a net HP reading for both cars. I had used a maximum hill climb with the SRM3+ but initial results indicated a maximum of ~160 hp. This and earlier data suggests hp is limited up to about 70 mph. I suspect that road measured hp metrics requires speeds above 70 mph for each vehicle.

Bob Wilson

#2 bwilson4web, Apr 16, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  3. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I can verify that the chill mode will definitely not allow you to access full power even when pedal is all the way floored.

bwilson4web likes this.