1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Two problems: check engine code & triangle during turns

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SnakePuncess, Feb 26, 2013.

1. SnakePuncess

SnakePuncess New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi! It's been a few years since I was on here. I used to be a semi-regular on the old Prius Online website, and here occasionally. I was in Richmond, VA then, but am now in the ratrace of northern VA. I see a few of you on the road that I recognize vaguely as being from one of those two forums. I'm the one with RPTILZ on my tag - honk and wave sometime! (BTW, I saw someone with the tag SIPPER the other day - that's what I named my Prius, too!

Two issues are bugging my 04 Gen 2. The check engine light came on a while back, and the code I'm getting when I have it checked is 505, and I'm told it's the idle control system.But then I've been told that the Prius doesn't have an idle control system. (??) At first it came on intermittently, and I noticed that when it was on the ICE did not turn off when sitting at a light or at low speeds, etc. It made sense to me that it might be something with the idle control, but I'm not an engine person... Now the light is on all the time. I haven't had the time or $ to get to the dealer yet, but I suspect that's about to change, due to the next issue:

When making sharp left turns, I'm getting a very brief red triangle/beep/warning on the MFD that says "problem!". Sometimes it is so fast I don't even see the MFD warning. I search this forum and saw a similar post from 2008, but no confirmation there of the issue that caused it.

Any thoughts? I know many of you here are awesome at helping with these troubles.

Merci,

Bonnie

2. desertcrawler

desertcrawler Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Check your oil level. That happened to me on sharp turns when oil was real low

PriusGuy32 and nh7o like this.
  3. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes on the oil level being much too low. Top it off ASAP. Prius uses more oil as it ages.

As for your other problem, I am not sure of the number you mention. Usually DTC's are of the form PA0XXX or similar. You need to get the whole DTC number listed here for good help.

As with all sorts of issues, you need to be certain that your 12V battery is good. When was yours last replaced?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. DTC P0505 means that there is a problem with the engine idle control system. Suspects include the throttle control system, a leak in the engine air intake system below the throttle valve, a leaky PCV hose or a problem with the PCV valve, or the engine ECU.

2. As previously stated, a low engine oil level is likely the cause of your other issue.

[email protected] likes this.
  5. MacsVoltage

MacsVoltage Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Princess,
    Oil level likely the cause as everyone replied. Level can be too low or too high.
    1- Too low on turns indicates oil level warning issue.
    2- Too high of an oil level can foam up and back up into air intake. Sharp turns can move oil around often stalling engine and contaminationg mass air flow.
    3-Go ahead and laugh at this but a door not closed properly (completely shut ) can cause the triangle of death to come on when the car is in drive.
    Just through that in there for a smile. I had a customer panick over this once. "Mac"

Bruce Cameron likes this.
  6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The low oil level could be caused by the PCV valve that in turn is giving you the P0505 DTC. So it would be prudent to change the PCV valve "after topping up the oil" to see if it clears both problems, the DTC, and the oil use.

John (Britprius)

7. Whitethug

Whitethug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I had the same problem. Turns out that I had closed my door with the seat belt buckle in the door. It made a dent that caused the door sensor to think the door was open on sharp turns. My mechanic fixed it for free and haven't had a problem since.

2009Prius likes this.