1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Two strange sounds, any ideas? Clunk hybrid to engine, vice versa. Strange subtle knocking

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by IllyaPrius, Apr 11, 2023.

1. IllyaPrius

IllyaPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This is a 2011 Toyota prius.
    So the engine bay sound I’m thinking may be normal but not sure. Want some insight. If you hear a ringing sound, that’s just my phones cameras (the lens is broken lol). Inside the engine bay there is a weird but very subtle knocking noise, if you will. It isn’t crazy loud but it’s there. Need thoughts on this please.
    The video with the wheel is when I shut the car off. It jerks a bit forward and sometimes it gets really bad when I’m at stop and go traffic. The best I could describe it is something like a jerk but not a normal subtle jerk but very aggressive. It’s when the engine shuts off and goes into hybrid or the other way around. Usually happens at idle and when I’m at a stop not when I’m driving. It’s a very clunky sound when it switches over. Doesn’t happen all the time, sometimes it’s really bad but other times it’s not there.
    I’m in maintenance mode fyi to kind of duplicate the sound. It was worse before I started recording.
    Hopefully this makes sense.
    Any inputs are welcome, if you want better videos I can try to provide them buts it’s really a luck of the draw when it happens.
    I should mention it sounds worse throughout the summer.
    IMG_5568.mov and 1 other file | Files.fm.
    the link to the two videos.
    Thanks in advance!

2. IllyaPrius

IllyaPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    V
  3. IllyaPrius

IllyaPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius