1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tyger hitch-mounted bike rack for four bikes

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by priusbiker, Jun 13, 2021.

1. priusbiker

priusbiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The priuschat posts have been invaluable for helping choose a bike rack. I am wondering if anybody has feedback on this plan for 4 bikes for the family:

Tyger 4 bike hitch mounted rack for a 1.25 or 2" receiver - $150 on Amazon (TG-RK4B102B)
    Hitch with 1.25" receiver - $204 from U-Haul including installation (24796)

Total weight of bikes: 117 lb (32+32+28+25) < max bike weight for rack: 132 lb
    Total weight of rack+bikes: 145 lb (Rack 28 lb) < max tongue weight for hitch: 200 lb

Do we need to worry about the rack bumping the road? Is it a concern that it will use a 1.25" receiver even though the rack manufacturer supports it and it is below the weight requirements?

I also plan to run an extra strap from the top of the rear hatch to the bicycles for additional safety.

Thank you!

2. PortlandHiker

PortlandHiker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What did you end up doing? I am also looking into getting a hitch mounted bike rack for my family (three bikes). My calculations are close to yours (e.g., max weight of bikes would be 102 lbs, weight of rack plus bikes would be 15o lbs, which is less than the 200 lb tongue weight).