1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Type "A" Fuse?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by kenkneeb, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Seaside Harry

Seaside Harry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Since Ken did the hard work identifying this fuse, finding sources should be a piece of cake...or so you'd think. This product appears to be new enough that neither Bussman or anyone else appears to be making 897-series equivalents yet. This was the only online auto parts place I found that carries them:

http://autobodysupplies.safeshopper.com/30/502.htm?505

You know something is really scarce when eBay doesn't even have it. Right now, the best prices seem to be at the electronics parts houses:

Mouser Electronics, average price $.38 ea, $3.30 for 10
    http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?handler=da...odenumber=57608

No doubt, the UPS charges would overcome any savings unless you buy a zillion fuses or need other electronics stuff anyway. As much as I hate driving anywhere to buy anything, I guess the best bet for now is to try the local Pep Boys as KenyOregon suggests.

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Depending on shipping costs, the fuse assortment at autobody supplies looks like a decent deal.

How about a group buy from Mouser? Someone could order 100 assorted pieces and produce an 'emergency' assortment. Could easily be mailed to individuals probably for less than a buck.

What is the difference between 0897015.N and 897015.N?
    Besides the leading 0 for you wise guys/gals out there.

3. hawkjm73

hawkjm73 New Member

Mouser will ship in through any of the big three carriers. I got a shipping estimate from them to me in Arizona for USPS at less than $6 for one pound and less than $7 for two pounds. I couldn't find the weight of these fuses, but I would imagine you could get an awefull lot in one or two pounds. At two lbs and $7 shipping (worst case est.) 100 fuses grouped by several different amps would be just under $40, putting it at about 40 cents per fuse. Even at 10 fuses, it works out to a bit over a dollar per fuse, still beating Toyota's parts department

Dan

The leading zero seems to indicate a different product group. The 10A fuse is brown with the zero and red without it. Also, the fuses with zeros have RoHS COMPLIANT in their blurb, which appears to mean they are lead-free. It probably dosn't matter which ones we use, as long as we pay attention to the amp rating instead of relying on color only. Although, sence the Prius is such a green car, we should probably favor the lead-free. B)

4. c4

c4 Active Member

Yes, but how many fuses do you expect to blow?? In all my years of car ownership, I've replaced a total 5 fuses- two of these were on friend's cars and one was in a big International tractor, leaving two in my own vehicles, and one of those was because of bonehead move under the dash while testing a stereo install (slipped with a test probe and shorted the power to ground).. A hundred fuses would be more than you'd ever need for yourself, your immediate friends and family and probably your whole neighborhood..

Certainly, on a unit-cost basis, it's cheaper, but if you only use 2 or 3 out of 100, you still come out ahead in terms of cash remaining in your pocket by going to the dealer..

5. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Be careful Hawk, I thought they were different colors too, until I realized I was not looking at a matched set. They aren't in any reasonable order.

C4: What we are figuring out is that one of us could do the mass purchase, and mail out an assortment to those who would want them.
    Considering cost of fuses, cost of mailer, and postage.
    Probably could be done at $5 for an assortment of 1 each.

6. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In Japan, I paid 60 yen (about 50 cents) each at a Toyota dealer.
    Please make sure how much your local dealer wants.

Ken@Japan

7. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

my husband buys from mouser on a regular basis. i'll have him order a gob of them - but since i don't have my prius yet, i need to get you guys to tell me what i need to order.

mouser appears to carry the 2A (Grey), 3A (Violet), 4A (Pink), 5A (Tan), 7.5A (Brown), 10A (Brown), 15A (Blue), 20A (Yellow), 25A (Natural), and the 30A (Green).

They are 'on order' for the 3, 4, 7.5, and 10 amp versions.

They all run roughly the same price - about 35 cents each.

What would make a good replacement variety pack? Is one of each reasonable, or should there be two of the 15s, or something? I don't mind doing this, it's sort of what i do for a living anyways =)

8. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Well, doing a crude search in the owner's manual, I see 9 7.5A fuses, 14 10A fuses, 13 15A fuses, 3 20A, 3 25A, and 7 30A. This does not account for reallocation of fuses in certain slots, such as HID or Halogen, which use different fuse values, and includes the spare fuses. I am using these numbers as is for approximation.

I'd say put in 2 each of the 7.5A, 10A, and 15A fuses, 1 each for 20A, 25A and 30A. That's nine total in an assortment. I'd say $5 for a 9 piece assortment should do it.

Then again, that leaves only $1.80 for packaging, shipping and handling.

9. hawkjm73

hawkjm73 New Member

Don't quite understand that. Willing to be a bit more verbose? If it helps any, I was only compairing that one pair of fuses. I hadn't gone through the whole group.

10. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    This word is only used when you know you will never see this person again. It's equivalent to farewell forever.

11. gyurk

gyurk New Member

Mouser Electronics has no minimum order and charges actual shipping cost. I've ordered from them many times with no problem.

http://www.mouser.com/?handler=data.listca...=SField&N=57608

Look for manufacturer's part numbers starting with 0897.

Paul

PS: Oops. I see others have already discovered Mouser. I didn't notice this until after I posted.

12. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I didn't see both pairs of 10A fuse, until I searched for the mouser part number without the leading 0 and got both. I believe the spec indicating a brown color is a misprint. Looking at other fuses, it seems to be a standard that 10A fuses are red, and 7.5A fuses are brown.

If you search mouser for Littlefuse brown, you'll see that the 10A is an oddball and the rest are 7.5A.

13. Ghostrider

Ghostrider New Member

14. Ghostrider

Ghostrider New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ghostrider @ Nov 12 2006, 09:44 AM) [snapback]347808[/snapback]</div>
    Well I found a sampler set at O'Reilly's.

15. prberg

prberg Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ghostrider @ Nov 12 2006, 10:44 AM) [snapback]347808[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry... that would be a great set, if they were the correct fuse. The blades on those fuses from Harbor Freight are too long. As someone else said they might work but will stick out farther than the correct fuse. Let us know if you find anything similar in the correct size.

thanks,

-Peter B

16. davidb

davidb New Member

I just ordered 3 of each "mini-fuse" value from 2A to 30A (27 fuses total) for $0.58 each from Mouser Electronics. With shipping, the total came to around $20.00.