1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Types of Gas You Use

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by exces6, Mar 5, 2005.

1. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Frank:

I think that old saying is true: "You just can't win"

I've never noticed an immediate MPG hit by running Canadian gasoline containing MMT. But there is a long-term risk to the car emission components.

2. wilco

wilco New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon\";p=\"70696)</div>
    I stand corrected.

I actually did a search for ethanol vs. mileage about a month ago or so, and it seemed that many were running E10 (John1701a and Jayman for instance) with results that seemed similar to others who were running 100% dino.

Your experience is good to know because most of my family live in Bellingham, so I'm back and forth across the line often, and buy a lot of gas in WA. I'm actually still waiting to take delivery of my Prius, but I'll be keeping a journal of mileage vs. climate + origin of gas, when I do get the car.

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    With my 2000 GMC Sierra, I didn't notice any difference in MPG or running characteristics using regular Canadian unleaded high in MMT, Mohawk Ethanol Plus 90, or regular unleaded purchased at Amoco (Now BP) and Conoco stations in Minnesota.

It could be the Mohawk Ethanol Plus 90 is blended differently. I should call the company info number and ask.

With my 2004 Prius, I have driven around 1,800km in Minnesota and also didn't notice and difference in fuel economy that could be explained by gasoline. Though isn't Minnesota gas already blended? Or just in the Twin Cities?

The biggest difference I've noticed in fuel economy is the God Awful rough texture of the secondary roads here, especially Hwy 12 that goes through Steinbach to Warroad, MN. You take a huge hit in fuel economy.

Eg: on a given stretch of #12, cruise at 100 km/h, the MFD will show 5.5 litres on a rough section. You then come across a short repaired section featuring pavement smooth as a babies butt, and the MFD will drop to 4.4 litres.

Converted to Canadian Miles Per Gallon, that's going from 51.4 MPG to 64.2 MPG.

When I drive into Minnesota, I usually don't fuel up until Duluth. Once I enter Minnesota, with mostly smooth roads, my MFD claims a fairly consistent 4.2 - 4.8 litres per 100km. With Mohawk Ethanol Plus 90 still in the tank.

Sure fuel quality will make a big difference in MPG and also life of emissions components. But road texture can make a big difference too.

4. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Sept. 25 7983Km 716.6Km 33L 5.2ind. 4.88Cal US $16.75 Vancouver ,Wa. +19C 8.72 US gallons converted.

Sept. 29 8694Km 711Km 39.35L 5.2Ind 5.53Cal $34.00
    Vancouver ,B.C. +18C

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't buy from Exxon Mobil as they donated to Tom DeLay's legal defense fund.