1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Typical lifetime of 12V battery...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ichiro, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I do what I can to minimize the chance of an accidental drain, shutting off of the hatch and dome lights, periodically checking the 12 volt's voltage and hooking it up a maintenance charger. And then:

I replace it after about 4 years, regardless of it's condition. With just the OEM, nothing fancy.

kenoarto and HaroldW like this.
  2. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Optima batteries are warrantied for a maximum of 36 months.

3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The Exide Edge battery is warrantied for 48 months.

4. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Optima web site clearly says 36 months. In any case, there's your proof: batteries are only expected to live about 4 years. You are taking risk to expect anything but problems as documented, here on PriusChat.

5. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I repeat the Exide Edge battery part number FP-AGM51JIS is available in the US has a 4year (48mnths) full replacement guaranty and is a deep cycle AGM battery with a higher amp/hr capacity than both the OEM and Optima batteries. It is a direct replacement for the Prius battery and comes with the small posts (JIS) and breather hole at about $160. There is a $20 off coupon on line at the moment.

This battery is expected to last a lot more than 4years. Check on Exides web site and if you have not herd of Exide the are one of the biggest manufacturers in the UK and have been around for over 100years. The Exide Edge battery is made in the US.

In the Uk and Europe there are batteries made by Bosch and Varta that have 5year guarantees these again are full replacement if the product proves not to last that long and Lucas are bringing out a range with an eight yes eight year guaranty.

HaroldW and uart like this.
  6. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks Britprius. So the "JIS" suffix is important right.

Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to get that one anywhere in Australia. I found this one (which ships to Australia) on ebay, but I don't think it's the right one (doesn't say "JIS" anywhere). : Exide Edge Group 51 Flat Plate AGM 440CCA | eBay

7. NASCAR Mike

NASCAR Mike Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Take your car to Autozone, Advance Auto, Napa, Pepboys or any other automotive parts store and they will do a free load test on your battery. Typically batteries last 4 years and then slowly start to lose performance.

Just think how much it will cost if you get stranded on the side of the road with a dead battery. The tow charge alone would pay a significant cost of a new battery. I don't think you can put a price on peace of mind.

Maybe I over maintain my cars but at 4 years I will change the battery. At 20k I changed the oil in the CVT transmission.

kenoarto likes this.
  8. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes that is the same battery (size, amp/hr capacity) but has the standard (larger) posts still worthwhile fitting, getting negative cable from breakers off almost any car and adapting the positive connector. I would try asking the supplier if they can get the JIS version of the battery. Remember a good connection is important but the Prius battery connections do not need to carry starter motor current.

The kit that was used with the Optima would also do the trick.

John.

9. Julia2001

Julia2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry to interrupt, but I am about to purchase a new battery for my 2007 Prius. I was looking at the yellow Optima, but now am very interested in this Exide battery mentioned by Britprius (Exide Edge battery part number FP-AGM51JIS). Sounds like the way to go.

Would I need some sort of adapters for this battery? That is the part which is confusing to me as I read through these posts. Or would this battery simply drop right in as the yellow Optima will?

Thank you very much.

Julia

10. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi Julia. No you wont need any adapters if you get the correct part number. That's the one with the "JIS" suffix.

I'm in Australia however and cant seem to find that one here.

11. Julia2001

Julia2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you very much, uart. I appreciate your response.

You are a very helpful PriusChat member.

Thanks for your many helpful posts in response to my way-to-many questions!

Julia

12. Julia2001

Julia2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That should read "way-TOO-many"!!! :mad:

13. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi Julia as Uart said the Exide is a direct drop in replacement providing you get the JIS version.

John.

14. Julia2001

Julia2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
  15. Julia2001

Julia2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I bought the Yellow Optima battery from Advanced Auto. 15% off the regular price of 199.99 -- overnight delivery to my local store.

Now to see if I am capable of installing it! Off to read posts and watch videos to prepare myself!

16. PriusDIY

PriusDIY Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone notice how this website states "Prius Starting Battery." :LOL:

I will be getting the direct fit Optima yellow top when the time comes. I'm still on the original OEM battery which is probably 4+ years old now.

17. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well it does start the computers and and connects the HV system without witch the car cannot move.

18. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

19. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I have noticed my mileage slowly dropping, and did a load test using the on board MFD diagnostics.

The video says to hold down the "display" button before flipping the headlights 3 times.
    For my 2009 Prius I've been holding down the "info" button before flipping the headlights 3 times. I'm at 11.8 volts at the first diagnostic check 11.7 - 11.4 volts under load, and 14.0 volts with the engine running. I've ordered a Optima Yellow Top 8171-767 and should be delivered in a few days.

Watched this video to learn the necessary steps to install it when it arrives. The video, is slow moving but very detailed.

there is also this video which is much shorter and to the point:

20. PriusDIY

PriusDIY Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, yes technically I guess the description works. I should have stated traditional car vs hybrid....