1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Typical lifetime of 12V battery...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ichiro, Mar 28, 2012.

1. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If this is a habit, then try replacing the offending lights with LED versions. While it won't cure the problem, it will reduce the current drain by about 90%, giving you much more time to intercept the problem before the battery goes dead.

2. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Is there a way to identify this with a Scan Gauge II? If so, can someone please describe it?

3. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I have seen battery protectors that automatically disconnect the battery if the voltage falls to 11.7V and such. Any one with experience with one of these?

4. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can read the 12V battery with SGII, but it would be difficult to determine exactly what was going on without knowing what the normal readings were first. A typical voltage reading is going to be >14V when the car is first made ready, then after 5-10 minutes it should start to fall to 13.6-13.8 volts and stay close to that. If the voltage never goes below 14V, or never gets above ~13.2V, there is some problem with the battery. If the Converter (the 12V charger part of the inverter) temp reading goes up well above normal, then you know that the battery is getting more current than normal. That could also happen with a good battery that has been discharged.

It's one of those "it depends" situations that just needs to looked at now and then to get a base line for your car.

srivenkat likes this.
  5. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks for the explanation. I do see this behavior, it does fall to 13.5 volts after a few minutes of driving. One thing I have noticed though is that, once I arrive in the garage and hit the "P" parking button, the voltage goes up to 14.4 volts until I switch the system off. Is this normal?

Any way to measure the Inverter/Converter temperature with the SGII or any other such device? Or otherwise see the current being supplied via the SGII or such? TIA.

6. Zak2009ski

Zak2009ski Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Battery still alive. I Have a 2009 with 91,000 miles bought in Dec 2008, so 7 years 5 months. I live in northern Indiana.

7. erch

erch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just replaced my 2004 battery that was 12 years old with 165000 miles on it. I went to a local interstate battery store and got an AGM refurbished battery for 75 installed. Pretty good deal in my mind.

kenoarto likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's interesting. How would that work? They reuse the case, and maybe the posts, new innards?