1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tyre Pressure

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by GoMetricToday, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Braddles.au

Braddles.au DEFAnitely using an EBH

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd suggest 310kPa in the front and 295kPa rear.

Stephen Fry noted that both metric and imperial are used in Britain for temperatures, so that a cold day is "below zero" but a hot day is "in the nineties!"

As for proper English, comedian David Mitchell used his Soapbox podcast to explain that he (and the Queen for that matter) is in no way offended by American English. Except for the expression "I could care less" when the opposite is meant. Fix that and all will be forgiven. And you should probably work on your swearing too.

See my sig for one way to make everyone happy about your fuel consumption (or is that fuel economy?)

szgabor and F8L like this.
  2. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Could possibly show the "code" to create this sig - line I really like it ....

3. Braddles.au

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In the early 1970's when Australia went metric, there was a gag of a farmer complaining about the metric system... something like, 'my cattle weigh half as much (1kg = 2.2lb), I have to drive twice as far to get to market (1km = 0.6 mile) and I use five times as much fuel to get there (1l = 0.22 Gallon (Imp))'.

Agent J likes this.
  4. GoMetricToday

GoMetricToday 42 is the answer to the ultimate question.

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Correct me if I am wrong. But didn't Australia adjust quite nicely to going metric? I subscribe to several Australians on YouTube to watch their cooking shows. Almost all of them use terms like cups, teaspoons, and the like. But in reality they are still measuring in metric. Either way, I still like metric and would not be unhappy at all if the US finally finished what we started in the 1800's.
    How many Australians can you think of that still long for the old days of pounds and ounces, weight in stones and money that was just as confusing as Imperial measurements? I would venture to say not many. Australia did their conversion right. They said that is what we are going to do to our money and they changed it to a nice decimalised currency and they changed to the metric system. People adjusted and Australia is better for it.

5. Braddles.au

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Backyard engineers may like imperial measures so that body parts can be used for reckoning. Everyone has a metric and SAE socket set, though few cars would have non-metric nuts and bolts.

I was very young when Australia converted. By the time I started kindergarten all imperial rules had been burnt. My mum's old 1970 Ford XY Fairmont had its speedometer converted to read km against the mile marks and the odometer changed for km with a sticker indicating the mileage at which the conversion took place. I don't think that dual mph-km/h speedos were common, maybe on cars imported from Britain.

It was probably made simple by restricting multiples like deci- and Deka- to useful ones that could be related to:
    • metre: milli-, centi-, kilo-
    • litre: milli-, (for large amounts like tanks or dams or Sydney Harbours) kilo-, Mega-, giga-
    • gram: kilo-
    Hectopascals replaced millibars, so barometers read the same. Nice.

Imperial measurements that have persisted for specific purposes include:
    • PSI for the pressure of a tyre or football, though kPA is also shown on tyre placards and pumps.
    • Feet and inches for the height of a person. If I say that I am 195cm I get blank stares. If I say 6'5" I still get blank stares, but with dropped jaws.
    • [kilo]Calories interchangeably with kilojoules. Fast food shops show energy in kilojoules.
    • Stone was used a bit, mostly for old bathroom scales and junior rugby team classifications.
    • Horsepower is used for modified cars, particularly those with big, American engines stuffed into them. Everyone else uses kW and N.m.
    • A pint milk bottle became 600ml. Beer glasses are based on fluid ounce measures that have been rounded to metric ml. Only the uncommon and tiny 5 and 7 ounce glasses are referred as such; all other glasses are named. And a pint is 590ml.

6. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here's my answer to all of these problems. It's my English made Tyre pressure gauge. See the photos