1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured U.S. Fuel Economy Since 1923

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Aug 21, 2015.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Before Threats Came Along in the '70s, U.S. Fuel Economy Since 1923 Has Progressed Slowly - HybridCars.com
    . . .
    Perversely, efforts to improve vehicle mpg have come largely after threats forced automakers to change, and even then, the industry has focused more on what may have been the wrong end of the vehicle spectrum, suggests new research. That is, automakers have been intent primarily on making already efficient cars more efficient, rather that doing all that’s possible to improve the worst mpg offenders, and thus saving even more fuel

These are a couple of the take-away points from a study conducted by researchers Michael Sivak and Brandon Schoettle of the University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute.

The study – “On-Road Fuel Economy of Vehicles in the United States: 1923-2013″ – examined relevant available data to determine fuel economy trends for various classes of vehicles.
    . . .

I've found lots of stories about this paper and even the abstract but not the paper. When I find (aka., buy) it, I'll post more details. Meanwhile, I like this chart:
    [​IMG]

Now I agree that to save fuel on a national scale, efforts should focus on the least efficient vehicles. This is why I remain frustrated that we don't have a credible, hybrid mini-van or utility vehicle like a Ford transit. But I'd also like to see high-efficiency pickup trucks too.

Bob Wilson

ps. Kudos to Jeff Cobb who wrote an excellent summary. The others vary in quality.

iplug, austingreen and Trollbait like this.
  2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice plot.
    When that guy (UMich) reports average MPG he says 25ish, so is saying on road MPG is not equal to EPA MPG?

I'll say that Light Duty truck line matches my minivan quite well (~17 mpg)

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Seen any charts with average vehicle size and power output? The steady decline from the beginning to the mid-70's is likely due to increases to engine output and vehicle size; i.e. a Model T to the land yachts of the time.

Japan has hybrid mini-vans. They are just smaller than a US mini-van.

The Transit Connect, and other small commercial vans and trucks, is purchased mainly by businesses. The costs, higher price plus lost cargo space, have to be justified by the fuel savings. Current hybrid SUVs don't get a huge MPG boost now, and it will be less for a boxy van hauling gear, people, and deliveries.

For full size vans and trucks, the hybrid versions have all had greatly reduced towing capacity, if it had any, compared to the ICE model. It doesn't matter if you or many other Prius owners have towed without problems. All that matters to insurance companies and DAs is what the manufacturer says.

4. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    On road is not equal to EPA, but it is closer since 2009 ;-) The Michigan transportation research looks at new vehicle sales, they are the guys that publish your studies and this. With the average light vehicle around 11 years old, there are a lot of pre-2005 models on the road reducing the average. MY guess the best way to get actual fleet fuel economy would be to take the vmt, try to remove diesels with math, and divide the gas consumed in a year.

Alternative Fuels Data Center: Maps and Data
    Use of Gasoline - Energy Explained, Your Guide To Understanding Energy - Energy Information Administration

#4 austingreen, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    wjtracy likes this.
  5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK right he is saying new cars are 25ish MPG but average on the road is lower...got it!

By the way, I am aware the average Vehicle does under 12000 mile per year. Why does everyone use 15000 mile per year in EV/Hybrid fee calcs, etc?

6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Since I average 18,000-20,000 miles per year, it still looks too low. <GRINS>

I see these as also being primarily urban vehicles where a hybrid drive with effective regenerative braking should make out like a bandit. It is also an area where both government and commercial interest overlap. For example, postal vans that deliver to mailboxes should be hybrid. In the past, some of the rural mail delivery drivers used their private Prius and made out like bandits.

Bob Wilson

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when i was a kid, no one thought twice about their electric, gas, oil or gasoline usage. it was a minute portion of living expenses, no one knew what pollution was and there was an endless supply of fossil fuel.:cool:

8. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    With a 50mpg Prius, rural mail carriers could make out like bandits. The HSD in something like Transit Connect won't be 50mpg, but closer to the NX hybrid's 33mpg. While the box-like aerodynamics would be of less import in low speeds, a Transit Connect itself weighs at least 600 pounds more than a Prius. The Nissan NV200 is 250lbs more, but Nissan's hybrid system doesn't provide as high a gain.

The USPS has started the bidding process for a replacement to the Grumman LLV. I can't think of any existing candates that have a hybrid version, but start/stop and regenerative braking can be cheaply added. But we'll see. Canada Post went with the Transit Connect.

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The perverse marketing model is evident in the Highlander:
    metric Highlander hybrid Highlander gas
    1 City MPG 28 18
    2 Price $47850 $32530 - $44140

• the hybrid is loaded with every possible 'bling' while the gas has a range
    So take the Highlander and remove the rear seats and glass. Replace the rear doors with sliding panels and we have the basics of a hybrid utility vehicle. Use the cheap-end, gas model interior with the DVD slot having a cover and pre-wired for a company radio (are they still used?).

Bob Wilson

10. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It is no wonder that the hybrid highlander only has a take rate of 2.3% this year so far, and it may go lower as the rav4 and lexus nx hybrids get better gas mileage, the highlnder hybrid may have poor sales in 2016.

The ford fusion does relatively well with a hybrid rate of 8.3% and a plug in rate of 2.9%, plug-in and hybrid sales make up 11.2% of the total. Maybe this goes to 20% in the next generation if gas prices go back up.

11. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I wasn't referring to the HiHy's high price, but the basic $2k to $3k hybrid premium between the 4 cylinder Camry and hybrid.

The Transit Connect is at 24mpg combined. To get the same level of improvement as the Camry, a hybrid version would have to get 35mpg. Which is possible with the NX300h getting 33mpg. At current fuel prices and 20k miles a year, a hybrid version is going to save around $600 a year in fuel. Depending on final price difference and lease rates, a hybrid version can be a tough sell. Specially if it also has reduced cargo space, payload, and tow ratings.

Hopefully we'll see what the USPS bid entries are in the upcoming year.