1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

U0293 Solved....maybe

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Dbasra99, Apr 27, 2022.

1. Dbasra99

Dbasra99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A week or so ago I posted an issue related to U0293....the car would not move. I had caused a spark when my ratchet touched the postive terminal on the 12V Battery and the case of the Hybrid Battery.

After getting the bluetooth car scanner I found a bunch more error codes that would make someone think the Hybrid batteries were bad.

Some members directed me to some posts related to U0293 and one got my attention. They said they just went into TS and overrode the setting that keeps the car from starting in the hybrid utilities section.

After a few painful days of trying to get TS loaded and working, I was finally able to scan the car with TS.

After clearing various codes, I was able to use the utility to cancel the setting that was stopping the car from starting.

It worked, I am up and running with no current codes.

I do not recommend this in general for U0293 but it worked in my situation due to my root cause.

I am assuming when I had the spark a message was sent to one of the ECU that a voltage issue had occurred and it needed to be checked by a professional.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks to everyone who help me!!

PriusCamper likes this.
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The speculative explanation seems a bit unconvincing to me, but I'm glad to hear the car is running, and hopeful that it stays that way.

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Seems if Techstream gave you an option to over-ride the error code it's a known issue that they updated the software to provide a work around. And yes, getting Toyota techstream setup is indeed painful....

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You can use Techstream to override a lockout of engine cranking when the traction battery is too low. This thread was about a communication error. That's why I'm not super-convinced that the 'fix' was a fix for the original issue.

But if overriding the low-battery cranking lockout has allowed the OP to use the car, then it might have been a useful temporary step.

PriusCamper likes this.