1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

U0293 u0100 u0111 u0293 p0a1d

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ruidboi, Jul 17, 2016.

1. ruidboi

ruidboi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi my car was working fine except for occasional no dash lights. Unfortunately where my dash lights don't work sometimes I can't see my gas gauge and I ran out of gas today. I manage to make it to the gas station on battery power I presume. Filled the tank up with 11 gallons and the car seemed to work fine for the remainder of my trip(about 5 miles). So I parked at my destination and went inside for 30 minutes and then I went back out and started the car. I attempted to clear the out of gas error code and all of a sudden a whole Christmas trees of lights popped on my dash. I rescanned and these codes were read out U0293 u0100 u0111 u0293 p0a1d.
    History : I had the coolant pump inverter changed 2-3 months ago by a mechanic and hybrid battery and battery ecu changed 2 years ago by myself. What should I do? The car seems to be driving in a crippled mode. Could I possibly make it 8 miles home with it or should I get tow truck?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Try to disconnect the 12v battery for a few seconds to reset the car, then drive home.

Sounds like you have a combination meter issue too

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If disconnecting the 12V battery does not help, the hybrid vehicle ECU may need to be replaced. DTC P0A1D means the hybrid vehicle ECU has a fault while DTC U0293 means that communications was lost with the hybrid vehicle ECU.

4. ruidboi

ruidboi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ok I disconnected the 12v battery and the car worked perfect on my way home. So I went out just now to drop someone off about 8 miles away and the car worked fine until I was on my way back. I made a stop to a gas station so I turned the car off. When I turned the car on there were no lights on the dash ( it does that sometimes) but all seemed fine until 30 seconds later when the check engine light came on. What was strange was the car behaved exactly as it did when I ran out of gas earlier. The display screen that show trip info showed that the car was only using energy from the hv battery not the engine. Eventually the hv battery was depleted and the car couldn't move. At that point I turned off the car and turned it back on. Immediately the engine kicked in and started to charge up the battery and the car held up enough to get me home. And I got similar codes read out. Car won't move now though. Im leaving the 12 v out overnight. Do you think these problems are a result of me running out of gas and depleting the battery? How difficult is the hybrid ecu to change in my 2005 Prius?

iPhone ?

5. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I recommend you check the 12 volt battery. A weak battery can cause many weird problems.

I have seen Mini VCI cables cause U codes. The standard MIni VCI cables are cheap knock off clones of copies. For the most part they work. On some cars they cause problems. Your U codes started when you hooked up the Mini VCI. And disconnecting the 12 volt battery seemed to clear them.

This is what I now use instead of a Mini VCI cable. It works much better.
    With SAE J2534 Vxdiag VCX Nano for Toyota Tis Techstream V10 30 029 Compatible | eBay

Brad

6. ruidboi

ruidboi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah I left the 12 volt out overnight and the car seemed to work fine for a day or so then the same error codes came back. I have a scan gauge to read error codes, but now that I think about it I've had that scangauge plugged in since I ran out of gas. I've been meaning to test my 12v battery out. What should I look for? Not sure if it matters but I have a third party 900w amp hooked up to the 12 v battery in my Prius for my sound system. Could this also be the source of the problems? Is the hybrid vehicle ecu that Patrick Wong is talking about the one that's in the hv battery? Or is it another ecu?

iPad ?

7. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The hybrid vehicle ECU is located next to the engine ECU. Both are behind the glove compartment. This is different than the traction battery ECU located in the battery case.

It is not helping to have a high power drain upon the 12V battery. I hope that you are playing that stereo system at high volume only when the Prius is READY.

8. ruidboi

ruidboi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So my course of action should be to check the 12v battery and make sure it's good then if it's good order a hybrid vehicle ecu and install it?

iPad ?

9. ruidboi

ruidboi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

Is this the part that your talking about?

2004 2009 Toyota Prius 89981 47085 Hybrid Vehicle HV Control Module Computer ECU | eBay

I checked the 12v battery and after 3 days of the car not being started 12v is at 12.5V. So most likely its the hybrid vehicle ECU?

10. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Make sure that you do not have anything plugged into the OBD-II port. Disconnect the 12V battery to clear the DTC and wait a few minutes. Reconnect the battery, and see if you have the same problem.
    2. If you do, find the HV ECU behind the dashboard. Make sure that you will be able to remove it, which requires disassembly of much of the dashboard, removing the passenger SRS bag within the dashboard top panel, etc.
    3. Note the part number of the ECU. When looking for a replacement used unit, look for one with that part number or higher. If lower, it may not be compatible. If much higher, it may not be compatible.

11. Jaron Lindow

Jaron Lindow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    @ruidboi , were you able to resolve this issue? My 2007 Prius just experienced pretty-much the same issue with 3 of 4 of the same codes (U0100, P0A1D, U0293).

12. Jaron Lindow

Jaron Lindow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I unplugged and re-plugged 20A HEV fuse and unplugged and re-plugged everything under the cover to the left of the parking brake. It looks like it isn't the first time that cover has been off. When I started it up, the U0100 and P0A1D codes, red triangle, and check engine light had all cleared themselves. The car was still showing U0293, so it was odd the check-engine light wasn't on. I manually cleared that, drove a few blocks back home, and checked again and found no pending or active codes.

I wonder if the problem was a connection wasn't plugged in tight and got shaken loose during bumpy driving. The smallest connection, in the upper left hiding behind wires, seemed like it might have been loose.
    IMG_20180628_122611.jpg

13. undertoad

undertoad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Did your problem ever return? I am having those same three codes on my 2007.

14. PriuSocal

PriuSocal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Same here I am simply having the UO293 code. Any word?

15. Goodcitizen

Goodcitizen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Has your prius had any issues with water intrusion?

Before replacing ecus it'd be smart to check connectors for corrosion. The whole under dash area. From power supply ecu to gateway to hybrid ecu to immobilizer, etc.