1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Uber recommends Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by JerseyStudent, May 27, 2015.

1. JerseyStudent

JerseyStudent New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A neighbor saw our two Prii in the driveway and stopped to ask about them. He said his son in Phoenix was driving for Uber and they recommended buying a Prius, so he bought a 2010 with 80k miles for $10k.

Interesting if true that Uber finds the value of Prius what they want to recommend to their drivers who ask.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They probably recommend the car because it would give the driver's a bigger bottom line, after all fees are calculated.

3. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Much the same reason they've become popular as taxis ...

4. law

law Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    They recommend the car not because of the bottom line but to save polar bears...

5. dj2big

dj2big Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Uber is a ripoff I'm in the car business and we constantly see people trying to trade in their high milage card used for Uber and are in a very bad situation upside down "under water" on their trade... Owing more on the car than what its worth. What your friends son did is actually pretty good of he bought it cash and not finance it. Buying a used low milage older Prius is probably the best choice for being an Uber driver. I constantly run the numbers for people and it does not make sense to buy new within 24 months you will be in a horrible situation even with 0%.

Z987 ?

6. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How does this mean Uber is a rip off? Maybe Uber is not for everyone, but people are told what they are getting into. Let's say they didn't drive for Uber, now their car is worth more but they don't have the money they would have made driving for Uber. And what it they had no job, that might not matter to them because the repo guy has it now? Should Uber only allow Prii onto the platform?

DoubleDAZ likes this.
  7. dj2big

dj2big Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do the math...
    It roughly cost about $.55 cents a mile figuring cost if car cost of insurance maintenance tires gas oil etc that's figuring the first 100,000 miles obviously at 200,000 its a lot less.
    Then add your time not to mention no health insurance and the risk factor just for driving that many miles. Buying a new car to use for Uber would be a ripoff that's why buying a used car would be better especially low mileage Prius. Problem is Uber requires late model cars. Your right for some it might be good but overall it is not a good model to make a living. Your better off selling hot dogs and ice cream on a street corner

Z987 ?

8. dj2big

dj2big Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't forget income tax at the end you'll make less than minimum wage

Z987 ?

9. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Your first post started with "Uber is a ripoff" and that's mainly what I'm asking about. I agree with you in that Uber is not for everyone. But there are times where it can be a good thing. Uber here in Los Angeles requires a 2000 model year, non salvaged title, four door car. The price is often more than the base price and can go up to five times the regular price. Other areas might be different.

10. dj2big

dj2big Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When I run into Uber drivers I do the math with them and they have a look on their face like they just got robbed! People sometimes don't know how to do the math and live forgetting about real cost of being a Uber driver.

People are almost better off working at Micky Ds

Z987 ?

11. dj2big

dj2big Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Uber should really disclose the cost of being one of their drivers and break down the income as some people just don't have the sense to do the math. In reality that to me is a dishonest company using people in need whom can't figure out they make less than minimum wage.

Z987 ?

12. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Can you share a an example of the math you're talking about?

13. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    lol, though I shouldn't laugh.

I had to make at least £50 ($78US) a day to cover my costs before fuel and before I started to earn any money for myself.

There's a lot more to the taxi game (or whatever name Uber or others want to call it) than just covering your petrol money. You have to calculate your running and vehicle purchase costs. Suddenly doing 20k, 30k or 50k miles a year takes a toll on the car. Tyres, servicing, repairs all very quickly add up.

You also have your insurance to find too, which is very expensive (or at least check that Uber really do offer you inclusive insurance in the US).

Or you could go into it with your eyes shut and charge $10 for a ride because "hey it only cost me $2 in gas so the rest is for me" ha ha ha. Love it. Highway to bankruptcy.

The French cabbies know what to do with Uber drivers. You don't pay your way you end up on your roof.

French Uber protesters smash up Courtney Love's cab 'and take driver hostage' | Daily Mail Online

[​IMG]

14. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You said you are in the car business, may I ask how so? Are you a car dealer or salesman? If so, new cars, used cars?

15. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Are you sure you don't want to sign up your new Leaf on Uber?

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  16. dj2big

dj2big Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Use an Edmunds true cost to own calculator to help you... Figure at new pick any car use 100,000 miles as a base and $4 a gallon as average because it will go up.

Z987 ?

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    something on the news tonight about cabbies and uber in london, not going well.

18. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think you mean Paris?

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    could be, i heard a british accent, but probably because it was in english.

20. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, seems like Uber is really causing some massive shakeup in the taxi industry worldwide. And the link to the French taxi driver protests shows some prius cabs further down the page.