1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ugliest car currently in production?

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by bookrats, May 2, 2004.

1. ltu1542hvy

ltu1542hvy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If I didn't have enough money to buy the Prius that I did, I was playing with the idea of getting a white xB and put a license plate on it that reads "Maytag"

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i think the Nissan Armada is super ugly too.

3. ltu1542hvy

ltu1542hvy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Now that you mention it, the Infiniti derivative of it (QX56 or something like that) is high-deeous as well!

Add to that the entire current line of Nissan pickup trucks.

Oh, and how about the Maybach Exeleron?
    http://www.saarhelp.de/deepwebnavigation/K...erie_upload.jsp

4. CinciPrius

CinciPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    how about ugly pickup trunks - saw one of these (GMC 4500 pickup truck) on the road today - talk about *big*. wow - just what we need - a pickup truck on a dump truck chassis. Go figure.

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It was an absolutely beautiful day here. In a parking lot, I saw a convertable version of those ugly trucks that are supposed to look like retro-style rounded cab trucks. Ugly and impractical. Good luck on the resale.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Chevy SSR?

How many did they sell? one?

7. Orsino

Orsino New Member

Had no idea there was such a thing until I saw one last night. It was so big and awkward, I was immediately reminded of the band name that resulted from an argument in the old Kids in the Hall sketch: "Rod Torkelson's Armada featuring Herman Menderchuk."

:jester:

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  9. hockeybrat

hockeybrat Member

The Subarau Tribeca. That hood looks weird.

10. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Re: Ugliest (attitude) car currently in production?

Rather than voting for which is the ugliest car in production, I'd like to point out the scores of generic, boring, semi-ugly, look-alike clone mobiles produced by GM. None of them are actually ugly, but I would doubt that anyone other than an assembly line worker who put them together, would be able to identify a single one of them from a photo.

My Prius has been in the shop for over a month and I am driving a Chevy "Classic" something or other. When I sit behind the wheel thinking about the marketing of this car, I start laughing at the arrogant and condescending mindset that foisted this mediocre car on the public and then named it "classic" as if it had some distinguishing feature that separates it from the 50 or so other "classics", "limited editions", "deVilles", etc. You get the idea.

The Prius is a genuine thing with no pretension to be "classic". The mindset behind the car is obvious to anyone who sits in one or drives one. There is no condescension on Toyota's part.

True ugliness in autos is not a specific model car, it's an attitude on the part of those who make and sell cars. If my rental Chevy were truly "the best selling car in its class", as the ads claim, why would GM be having to give it away at employee prices??

I bought some Toyota stock last week.

Bob

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Chevy Malibu Classic. It's basically the old Malibu that's sold to fleet buyers only. That way, GM can sell the new Malibu and Malibu MAXX to consumers only.

Hmm, I'd like to announce that GM screwed up the Saab 9-7X. Sure, the front looks like a Saab but the back looks like an Envoy/Trailblazer. =S

12. Dave M

Dave M Junior Member

Yes, the Chrysler 300c,h, etc. is hideous. they're comfortable, but without armor plating and bullet proof glass to complete the comic book gangster mobile motif, it just seems to miss something. The old 300M could at least pass as the poorman's Jaguar. The '05 300 is trying to be the poorman's Bentley. And the Bentley, like the lesser British Royal it is, lacks the class of a Rolls but shares the same inbred homeliness as it's greater Royal cousin. Even the winged Chrysler badge on that grouper-mouthed grill seems to be missing the big "B". The Magnum with a proper black paint job would make a fitting hearse or at least flower car for this gangland funeral. On the bright side, the purveyors of "spinner" rims that failed to make a killing with Expedition and Escalade owners now have a new audience. Makes you miss fuzzy dice, almost.

As for the Scion B, I fear that it is part of a dark conspiracy to lure unsuspecting Amish boys into the heretical world of horseless horsepower. They should perhaps come standard with an appropriately bovine surname emblazoned on the side in flowing script ... Bluebell, Bossy, etc.

But as to the childhood toy tie-in, my vote goes to the '04-'05 Chevrolet Monte Carlo which has a disturbing resemblance to the little plastic cars that were made by the Marx Bros. Vaccu-form machine. I know some of you guys are old enough to remember those, the masculine answer to the Easy-Bake Oven.

Dave M
    '05 Black/grey pkg 6, mudflaps and bodyside mouldings awaiting installation, HuperOptic film appointment next week. I had considered personalized plates with NAZGUL on them but price cooled my ardor.[/size]

13. Dave M

Dave M Junior Member

Oh yeah, the Chevy SSR, well my only guess as to what they were thinking was, "if they're stupid enough to buy a dualie pickup and the lower it (I have seem at least 2) they'll buy anything". Wow, just what I want a pickup truck with three inches of ground clearance and a load capacity of a corvette.

Dave M

14. senna4ever

senna4ever New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Subaru's new corporate look is.....different.
    Mercedes Benz CLS
    BMW 7
    BMW X3
    Honda Element

15. JeffHart

JeffHart New Member

Ugly is as ugly does

Hmm - some of the cars out there seem to be going for ugly as a statement - kind of like the VW Thing of yesteryear - this would be the Honda Element and Scion xB. On the other hand there are the bland cars - the BMW's above or the mid to low end Jaguars are a perfect example.

My brother in law just picked up an Element last month - he needed four wheel drive (live's in north western MA, next to Vermont, on a private road that's very steep.) He's a painter and needed to be able to move large paintings. Since he was driving an older 4WD pickup truck at about 15 mpg, the Element is an environment improvement, well designed, surprisingly comfortable and quirky enough to be fun.

I'd much rather drive something that goes for the unique ugly look as opposed to the bland ugly look.

Of course, the gorgeous and almost unique look (at least here in the US) of the Prius is perfect 8)

Cheers,
    Jeff

16. JeffHart

JeffHart New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dave M\";p=\"110008)</div>

Hey - my other car is a '99 300M. This came out a year BEFORE the S-Type (2000). Besides, the S-Type looks more like a Buick or Oldsmobile than a Chrysler. There's a lot to be said, good and bad about Chrysler, but they are the most willing manufacture to take design risks.

Cheers,
    Jeff

17. ltu1542hvy

ltu1542hvy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Even though to some they are very ugly, I do commend car makers for coming out with things like the Honda Element, Scion xB, VW New Beetle, Chrysler PT Cruiser, etc., since they at least do look different. With them the "automotive landscape" at least is not as frighteningly bland as it was in the late 80s/early90s when EVERYTHING looked like the used soap bar or lozenge.

18. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Re: Ugly is as ugly does

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JeffHart\";p=\"110033)</div>
    Now that was an awesome car, and quite a collector's item today. And not only did VW make something that looked completey and utterly different, but they had the guts to name it "Thing".

19. Dave M

Dave M Junior Member

When I called the 300M the poor man's Jaguar, I meant like the XK8. Just look at the grill.

As for the Hummer, unless your neighborhood is so tough you need to replace the roof rack with an M-60 mount, you don't really need one within 500 miles of urban areas. Oh, and . . . know how to increase the headroom in an H2? Tilt the steering wheel up.

Dave M

20. JeffHart

JeffHart New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26\";p=\"110147)</div>
    Never had a chance to drive or ride in one, but they always looked extremely cool. Haven't seen one in many years, but would imagine that many of them lived hard lives.

Cheers,
    Jeff