1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ugly body of the prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by trivialjoe, Feb 5, 2008.

1. cyberprius

cyberprius Mtn Bikes don't need foglights

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

My only problem with the distinct look is that I have had several "big pickup driving guys" ride right on top of my bumper in the Prius lately. I think it is a whole "hate thing with the prius" because it never happened in my Corolla.:eek:

2. Arled

Arled New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    When I went out to buy a prius all my friends made fun of it, most notably my partner. She said she hated toyotas and would never ever ever set foot in my car.
    Needless to say, on day 1 of ownership, she drove it and now wants to drive it everywhere. She ate her words.:lol:

3. Arled

Arled New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

hooray for the "ugly girl". Now lets bury that meme forever........

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's the little triangle window, the reverse slope on the back of the side window, the curved roof profile, short steep bonnet, the dropped centre of the roof and sexy little duck tail spoiler in the middle of the back window. At 4.3 litres per 100 kilometres, 4 comfortable seats, loads of rear leg room, good luggage space, easy access, low maintainance, tight turning circle, I can't think of a prettier 4 door family sedan.

5. fstickel

fstickel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Least we forget, our Prius is one of the very few that was designed from the ground up to be a hybrid, Pretty much everything else except the
    Honda Escape was retrofitted for hybrid technology.

fred :p

6. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    When I first viewed this thread in its early stages, all I could think of was, "Give me a break! Lord, spare me from such as this." But afterwards, just like a snatch of a song that you can't not hum, the question of what means "beauty" as related to a car, specifically the Prius, would not go away.

I'm standing squarely with Pat on this one:

7. Black2006

Black2006 Member

LOL, that was me:)

I hated Toyotas, and actually still dislike most of them. To me, Toyota's design has always been very "Oldsmobile," while Lexus is like the Japanese Cadilac. Aimed at gaudy, overweight people, who live in tract housing (or Mac-mansions, in the case of Lexus.)

But the Prius is different: it's quirky, very functional design (love hatchbacks:)

If the Prius looked like the Camry, I'd have gone for a Beemer, and would still be a Toyota-hater:D

8. Jack66

Jack66 Kinda Jovial Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You're making me blush, Pat! I can hear you saying the line above with candlelight and soft music in the background...

9. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And I'd be looking deep into your eyes too.

10. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Whoa... hey, guys... time out here.
    Let's get back to the Prius, okay?

11. takeshi

takeshi New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They must sell very different Oldsmobiles (or Toyotas) where you live...

12. PoulStaugaard

PoulStaugaard Now a PriusOwner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The basic idea of the Prius styling is the long straight slope of front wings and windshield and a matching down-slope of the roofline to the cut-off. The two lines are joined by a fairly short curve that conveniently peaks right above the drivers head. The end result has the beauty of it's simplicity, although it takes a little getting used to. The designers even managed to hide the bulge of the hood quite well. As for the front, I like the grille, which is by far the prettiest of the current generation Toyotas, but the headlights don't quite match the rest, IMHO.

You could argue that as a result, the A-pillars obstruct the visibility more than neccessary, but it doesn't bother me as much as I had expected.

13. Prius Prime

Prius Prime Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Hi

I think it looks great. One thing that attracted me was that ALL Priuses (Prii?) are hybrids--you don't have to check for a little badge or leaf to see if it is a hybrid that you're seeing. And I guess I'm proud to drive a hybrid! (smug alert)

I had a Ford Focus station wagon--it's hubby's car now--it's white like my Prius and they look quite similar together in the garage. Focus is a little longer and has a higher roof. The slope of the hood is just about the same.

Just my two cents.

Prius Prime

14. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry Rae, started with describing a sexy car and you can see where it went.

15. Jack66

Jack66 Kinda Jovial Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Stay with me -- I get to my point shortly. I moved to Tacoma, Washington in 1991 and started settling in. Most of the local places had wierd names that, when pronounced, would tell any local within a hundred meters that you were from out of town. The worst name for me was a great place named Puyallup. I couldn't say it correctly even after ten people tried to help me say it. One day it just came out right. A short time later I tried to remember the incorrect way of pronouncing Puyallup and couldn't do it. Even now I am trying to remember how to say it wrong and I can't do it. My point -- I remember thinking at one point that the Prius looked different and strange, now it is awesome, and I can't remember what I was thinking before.

16. DaveSheremata

DaveSheremata New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I was just thinking back to this thread... and I wondered, "Why couldn't they make a Pontiac G5 styled more like a Porche Carrerra GT?". If they did, then I'd really like my Prius to be styled after the G5...

;)

Oh ya - and it'd also get a much better revie on "Top Gear" -

Dave

17. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    JAck, I did the same thing... but now i look at Puyallup and realize that is pronounced the way its spelled...

which is a good thing. not many place names can be typed into google without specifying state or country and still only come up with one result

18. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    they should put prius drivetrain into a toyota tercel

19. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll second that, the 1883 AWD wagon style of thing.

20. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think there have been two cars/designs in the past ten years that have been generally recognized in the auto design world as being revolutionary and beautiful:

1999: Audi TT (and 1998 VW New Beetle)

2003: Cadillac CTS

IMO, the 2004 Prius should be added to that list. When I first saw a picture of it, I was stunned. Simply gorgeous.