1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

UK Auris Hybrids suffering same engine knocking on cold starts

Discussion in 'International Owners' started by GrumpyCabbie, Dec 13, 2010.

1. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hmmm, this is a worrying sign. There have been a number of reports in the UK Prius & Auris Hybrid forums that the new European Auris Hybrid model is also suffering from knocking at cold start!

The Auris is a Corolla sized European built model with the hybrid side based on the gen3 Prius. The UK forums are now starting to fill with the odd owner suffering the "knocking at cold start after being left in the cold for a few days" problem. This would indicate a design issue rather than outdated software as advised for the Prius as the Auris has only been released here from July 2010! Also, my money is on a design issue as the Auris is built in the UK, using UK built components and UK built batteries. There is no connection to Japan other than the design, so it can't be related to a dodgy batch of components left over from early Prius's.

Anyone got any comments?

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm leaning toward a design issue, but I still can't rule out the control software.

Tom

3. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You are not going to believe this but I thought I'd give my car a quick run about as it's been stood for three weeks whilst I've been off sick. I have been starting the car in the drive every 3-4 days and letting it warm up until it switches the engine off. All has been ok and no problems. The last time I switched the car off before it switched the engine off as I was in a hurry.

Started it up now about 3 days later and guess what! Hmmmm, bang clatter clatter. It started running ok but with a slight hesitant clatter and it got worse and worse until I stopped it for fear of causing damage. Left it 5 seconds and started the car up again - all ok. Took it for a 5 min spin round the block and all ok.

I've given the dealers a call and have booked it in for tomorrow morning for a diagnostic check up - though I don't expect them to find a problem.

I have read on here about the car being shut off half way through a warm up cycle could be the cause and this ties in with my latest experience today. Is this to do with valve timings or the vvt being left offset when I shut the car off prematurely the other day?

I know this has been discussed at length before and there are two camps - the ones who have had the problem and the ones who haven't. I originally thought it had been solved with a software update or something but I'm now guessing not.

4. Jands

Jands New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    GrumpyC - Let us know what the dealer says (although my guess would be they could find nothing wrong)...is someone willing to test GrumpC's theory? If the engine rattle could be recreated under certain conditions reliably then there is a good chance that the dealerships/Toyota could recreate it too...

5. AkustaVirtaa

AkustaVirtaa Sähköistäjä

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven’t notice anything different from regular cars. Of course engine sounds little bit funny when starting in minus 20 Celsius without block heater, but no anything alarming noises.

I also turn off car very often before engine is warmed up. It’s normal when driving short few km trips in below -10 Celsius…

6. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Oooh I should have updated this particular thread. Apparantly the knocking cause has been found to be a faulty part (or parts) and is something to do with the vvti controller sticking in certain conditions.

Follow the following links and does the video help? It reflects my cars problem 100%;

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...722-1-8l-starting-rattle-knock-events-13.html

YouTube - 2010 Prius Engine Knocking

The worry is that these faulty parts were only fitted to Prius's before Aug 2009 so why the problem has found its way into the new Auris HSD which was released in July 2010 is concerning.

The dealers couldn't find anything when I took it in. When I got home I found the above thread and video so rang the dealers and spoke to them. They said they had only ever had one Prius suffer a fault controller on an older model and that it sprung up loads of codes and warning lights. Mine was clear. They said that they would look at replacing the faulty unit if it was really concerning me or maybe wait and see if it does it again. To be honest, it's only done it 3 times in 37000 miles and only if stood for days in cold weather. I usually use my car every day so do I want the hassle of getting a part fixed for a very rare problem?

Are you suffering the issue yourself?

7. Jands

Jands New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ooh just seen this...Grumpy if you mean me, then no I'm not suffering the issue, but only because I don't own a Prius :) I just like them...next car will be though.