1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

UK Faulty Brake Booster

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Wando, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Wando

Wando Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    My 2010 Prius has recently developed a Brake fault which has been diagnosed by the dealership as a faulty Brake Booster and quoted me £2,600 for the replacement (almost as much as the value of the car).
    I have noticed that in the USA Toyota has issued a voluntary Customer Support Program ZJB in August 2018 which covers for this type of fault for up to 10 years after first use of the car, however Toyota GB are not covering for this fault.
    I have emailed Toyota GB and asked for a gesture of goodwill towards the repair but they have refused.

What else can I do?
    Has anyone else in the UK experienced this fault and how did you solve the problem?
    I am fearful about getting an independent garage to do the repair as the ones I called have never done one before. Do you know of a reputable UK (south/south-west) garage?
    Thanks.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Did the diagnosing dealership happen to give you the diagnostic information or codes for your issue?

The brake booster is a complicated piece of machinery with a lot of ways to wear out; when something wears out in a ten year old car, it's not always certain to be because of one specific defect covered by a specific warranty extension. If you knew the codes, it might be a clearer case.

3. Wando

Wando Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    I never got the codes.
    I did try to pursue Toyota for a goodwill contribution towards the repair, but they just refused point blank.
    In the end I didn’t really want a fight so I exchanged the car for a 2017 Gen4 with low mileage.

I have to say, the improvement is so big that I am glad I went for it.